Hi Guys

Im trying to set up a VU+ Solo original box for a friend
and need some advice on images which is the most stable
i see the last Zeus was build 023, but then is a Helios build 006 out

Is Zeus dead now and what are the benefits of Helios over Zeus
as my friend is a newbie in sat scene im trying to give him a good start

bobobalde
23-04-14, 12:47
Go for Helios as it will have updates to iron out any bugs etc, can update through your box and it keeps your settings

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

lemi
23-04-14, 12:54
Hi Guys

i see the last Zeus was build 023, but then is a Helios build 006 out

Is Zeus dead now and what are the benefits of Helios over Zeus
as my friend is a newbie in sat scene im trying to give him a good startSorry,but I can't believe it that,after 2years,you don't know how to use SB:confused: :eek:Or you are "newbie friend"??;)

huey45
23-04-14, 17:25
Sorry,but I can't believe it that,after 2years,you don't know how to use SB:confused: :eek:Or you are "newbie friend"??;)

Hi Guys, thanks for advice im seasoned, im setting up for my friend, who is the newbie, not me lol

Andy_Hazza
23-04-14, 18:25
I recommend you setting up a swap file on the solo, 256mb on a usb if no external hdd is installed?

gerryd13
23-04-14, 18:35
theres no real difference between both images apart from there be no more updates to zeus

Larry-G
23-04-14, 18:38
theres no real difference between both images apart from there be no more updates to zeus

Graphically there the same, but there are a good deal of differences between Zeus and Helios now, such as support for DVB-C and DVB-C in ABM, and Helios is running the very latest libraries as per the recent merge with the latest OE (Open Embedded), so things like the Heartbleed bug are fixed too.

for a full run down of the changes look at the change logs.

Flyingpig
23-04-14, 20:17
I take a different view (please don't shoot me down!?!). If you friend is a newbie is it not better to go with the extremely stable, reliable, trusted, friendly, dependable ver 3 build 808 (not sure what it is named).

Although no more updates for 808, and there may be some functionality differences you can set this up and know that your friend wont be calling you saying it has frozen etc.....

Just my two penneth....

Rob van der Does
23-04-14, 20:19
I can't think of any reason to do so.

huey45
23-04-14, 21:43
Hi Guys

I appreciate all your comments and input, i have just recently installed the latest helios while
i was waiting feedback, i also installed t*med*a from the plugins menu, if i attempt to play
anything the solo crashes each time, and have posted my crash logs to the support team

Thanks for inputs

Flyingpig
23-04-14, 21:49
That is why I would go for 3.0 build 808... Solid as a Volvo on an ice rink......

I haven't had to do a re-flash of my build since god know when..... I did put Zeus on and had issues with it, went back to v3.0 build 808 ----- no probs. As Ashford and Simpson would say ""Solid,,,,,, Solid as a rock""

If you put Hellos on your noob pals system, I am sure there are things and bugs which will not be able to be sorted by him, and your phone will be foreever ringing.... So says my crystal ball!!

ronand
23-04-14, 21:51
Have a read of the forum while you are at it. That problem and its solution has been discussed already today http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?37469-TSMedia-6-2-not-working-after-update-Helios-006

huey45
23-04-14, 22:29
Hi ronand read the post looks like back to 3.0 build 808 if that solves the problem..
i must admit i always found those images rock solid on my uno...so maybe in going
back also...

ronand
23-04-14, 22:45
Just select the media player in tspanel as advised in the thread. Going back to an old image is like putting ones head in the sand

judge
23-04-14, 23:12
That is why I would go for 3.0 build 808...

Why would anyone advise any newbie to use an old image that wont be updated?
Surely it's easier to teach them how to use a new image that can be updated?

Put the version of Helios that is currently available on the box when you give it to him. Save you & us teaching him how to flash a current image down the road...

Rob van der Does
24-04-14, 06:11
If you think vs 3-808 has no bugs you're wrong. Only thing is they are being fixed in the Helios-series.

Windows XP was stable, but you really shouldn't use or advise it any more for the very same reason :)

madaboutlotus
24-04-14, 08:45
From my personal experience using the latest image and sorting out any issues that arrise from bug/problems is the best way to learn about configuting the E2 boxes. Maybe painful along the way but certainly satifying when someting comes together. Just my view.

captain jack
24-04-14, 10:00
Is the 4:3 aspect ratio stretching (or lack of) bug fixed in Helios? It existed in Zeus so I went back to v3 750 which doesn't have this bug. Fixed bugs doesn't mean new ones aren't introduced ;)

Rob van der Does
24-04-14, 10:12
Is the 4:3 aspect ratio stretching (or lack of) bug fixed in Helios? It existed in Zeus so I went back to v3 750 which doesn't have this bug.
I don't think we're aware of such a bug.

Fixed bugs doesn't mean new ones aren't introduced ;)
Correct; the very reason we keep on fixing bugs.

captain jack
24-04-14, 10:38
I don't think we're aware of such a bug.

It's been reported here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?37274-Aspect-ratio-switching-not-working) and here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?37031-Zeus-4-3-being-picked-up-as-16-9)

captain jack
24-04-14, 10:41
Try this one. RTR on Hot Bird (11034V 27500 3/4) - will have PLANETA RTR logo at the top.

For example, on v3 750 the "display 4:3 content as" option "pillarbox" will show original 4:3 aspect with black bars on the side. "Just scale" will stretch it to fill the screen but losing the aspect ratio, "non-linear" seems to be the same as "just scale" and "pan&scan" should zoom into a picture, filling the screen and keeping the aspect ratio.

These options don't appear to do anything in Zeus... but 16:9 ones allow you to either zoom or display original 4:3 aspect. This leads me to believe that Zeus recognises 4:3 video as 16:9.

Rob van der Does
24-04-14, 10:54
Well. I can't make any bug out of that. And if it is, it might be driver related.

Anyway: we're not aware of an aspect ratio bug (and hence not working on it).

captain jack
24-04-14, 11:10
Well. I can't make any bug out of that. And if it is, it might be driver related.

Anyway: we're not aware of an aspect ratio bug (and hence not working on it).

Are you serious? Have you read anything I've written...? sigh....

Everyone says newest is best when clearly it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate OpenVIX development and it is one of the best images I've used. However, the attitude of some staff on the WOS forum is beyond belief. No-one seems to listen to what the users are saying (or at least what *I* am saying) and are being treated like morons who have no idea what they are talking about. And as such, the respect is slowly being lost. As well as my desire to visit, post and ask for advice on this forum.

judge
24-04-14, 11:19
Are you serious? Have you read anything I've written...? sigh....

Everyone says newest is best when clearly it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate OpenVIX development and it is one of the best images I've used. However, the attitude of some staff on the WOS forum is beyond belief. No-one seems to listen to what the users are saying (or at least what *I* am saying) and are being treated like morons who have no idea what they are talking about. And as such, the respect is slowly being lost. As well as my desire to visit, post and ask for advice on this forum.

Rob isn't the only one who doesn't have a clue what you're ranting about...

captain jack
24-04-14, 11:27
Try reading my posts then. I've described everything in detail of how to replicate the issue and all I get back is "not a bug" and "no clue what you're rambling on about".

Great team(!)

Rob van der Does
24-04-14, 11:37
Sorry about that. I'll add you to my ignore list. Please feel free to use an other image and the supporting forum.

steve1978
24-04-14, 22:44
Try reading my posts then. I've described everything in detail of how to replicate the issue and all I get back is "not a bug" and "no clue what you're rambling on about".

Great team(!)
Hi jack.

Please be reminded that the team who make the images do it for FREE. they spend hours every day preparing and testing images. When they are released they work on the Devs test box.
They can not replicate each users setup AND spend time reading in detail every users problems /faults.
98% of things reported are user errors or non compatible plugins.

Give the team a break, post the problem, if anyone has time to look they will. If that's not good enough buy official boxes. :p
Maybe Vic should start a premium service? For a fee people can subscribe for a higher level support??

judge
24-04-14, 22:54
Maybe Vic should start a premium service? For a fee people can subscribe for a higher level support??

Never going to happen... It's a hobby, fun & pain in the ass at times...
As for the users support request, if they're not getting answers & atleast 2 people say they don't understand the issue, they should probably revisit the request & try to make it a bit clearer before throwing their toys of of the pram.

ronand
25-04-14, 00:34
Try this one. RTR on Hot Bird (11034V 27500 3/4) - will have PLANETA RTR logo at the top.

For example, on v3 750 the "display 4:3 content as" option "pillarbox" will show original 4:3 aspect with black bars on the side. "Just scale" will stretch it to fill the screen but losing the aspect ratio, "non-linear" seems to be the same as "just scale" and "pan&scan" should zoom into a picture, filling the screen and keeping the aspect ratio.

These options don't appear to do anything in Zeus... but 16:9 ones allow you to either zoom or display original 4:3 aspect. This leads me to believe that Zeus recognises 4:3 video as 16:9.

Ive checked RTR this evening on my Uno with Helios build 8 and the display switches correctly so I dont see any bug either

judge
25-04-14, 00:54

Think the OPs issue has been answered, use the latest stable image available...

That is why I would go for 3.0 build 808... Solid as a Volvo on an ice rink......

Might be stable for you, but advising a new user to use a build that's no longer supported, can't be updated, can't use plugin feeds...
More trouble than it's worth.

captain jack
25-04-14, 08:53
Please be reminded that the team who make the images do it for FREE. they spend hours every day preparing and testing images. When they are released they work on the Devs test box.
They can not replicate each users setup AND spend time reading in detail every users problems /faults.
98% of things reported are user errors or non compatible plugins.

Give the team a break, post the problem, if anyone has time to look they will. If that's not good enough buy official boxes. :p

My Uno is original bought from WOS a few years ago. Agree 100%, though. The problem here was the blatant disregard of my report bluntly saying "not a bug" from Rob without even checking (at least it didn't seem like he checked it). I fully appreciate the effort and time involved and I am not blaming the coders, the image, Vu+ hardware or anything else. All I asked was whether the issue existed in Helios. I just found Rob's reply dismissive and verging on rude - hence why I started throwing toys out of my pram. If he simply said "we'll look into it when we have time" then would have been more than I could ask for. It's the attitude that bugged me and not the first time I see it from him.

As for the users support request, if they're not getting answers & atleast 2 people say they don't understand the issue, they should probably revisit the request & try to make it a bit clearer before throwing their toys of of the pram.

Well, I investigated the issue from a few angles, including reviewing the logs and looking at code - there were obviously changes in AVSwitch.py module but couldn't figure out why it didn't do what I wanted it to do. I repeated the same process with an older version of OpenVIX and had no issues there. I've also tried the latest OpenPLI and see no issues there either. It was only Zeus 023 that seemed to do it.

So I asked whether Helios did it and....

Ive checked RTR this evening on my Uno with Helios build 8 and the display switches correctly so I dont see any bug either

Thank you!

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread and turning it into a slagging match...

judge
25-04-14, 13:53
we'll look into it when we have time...

captain jack
25-04-14, 15:06
:thumbsup:

dude1
27-04-14, 01:08
I'm still using 808 as not had a chance to update to Zeus & now I see that Helios is the latest build. Is that the same update procedure as Zeus where I need to do a new install from usb & can't restore any plugins or settings?

Thanks.

judge
27-04-14, 01:11
Yes, any updates from a 3.x build require a fresh flash.

griff
27-04-14, 16:47
Is it a fresh flash from Zeus also. Can I save settings ?

mickyblueys
27-04-14, 17:03
Is it a fresh flash from Zeus also. Can I save settings ?

Yes fresh flash from Zeus, but settings can be restored!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

dude1
27-04-14, 18:49
Yes fresh flash from Zeus, but settings can be restored!

So to clarify it's just a usb flash with Zeus & settings can then be restored but everything has to be done fresh (usb flash & settings) with Helios? It was only redoing all the settings that's put me off updating so far. Then once on Zeus you can update to Helios restoring settings as well?

Cheers.

mickyblueys
27-04-14, 18:51
To get to Helios-

If on Vix 3.0 808 or below you need to fresh flash and cannot restore any backup.
If on Zeus you need to fresh flash, but you can restore settings from previous Zeus back up.

dude1
27-04-14, 19:00
To get to Helios-

If on Vix 3.0 808 or below you need to fresh flash and cannot restore any backup.
If on Zeus you need to fresh flash, but you can restore settings from previous Zeus back up.

Ah right so I'll need to redo all my settings & plugins etc like I originally thought as I'm on 3.0.808. Thanks for clarifying though.

mickyblueys
27-04-14, 19:01
Ah right so I'll need to redo all my settings & plugins etc like I originally thought as I'm on 3.0.808. Thanks for clarifying though.

No problem!