PDA

View Full Version : help with a frozen vu+ duo box

paulcox22
02-05-14, 17:14
Hello everyone. ive searched through these threads and i have found similar ones to this but none specific to my problem. I have had a vu + duo box for over a year, purchased from this site so its not a clone, a couple of month ago the box completely died, i ordered a new psu and replaced the original, the box now has power but it freezes on the big blue moon pic when loading up and doesnt get any further than that. I used to connect to the vu+ box through flashfxp on my computer, but now when i try to connect i get a connection failed text. im not the most technically gifted when it comes to stuff like this so any step by step advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

manicscrewdriver
02-05-14, 19:53
Have you tried reflashing a new image to it from the USB. Not saying this has actually happened but i have seen images corrupt when a boxes PSU has failed midway through a process. I would try a reflash and then go from there.

Nano

paulcox22
03-05-14, 19:34
I have tried i think but im not sure if i got the right image, is there a link to the most up to date, i have openvix installed running xmbc, i downloaded what i thought was a vix image, transferred it to my usb stick, plugged it into the front of the vu+ box then switched the boc off at the mains and the power button on the back of the box, then back on again, but im still getting the same freeze issue.

boysheff
03-05-14, 20:35
you need to switch box off first then plug usb in front and switch on from back of box to flash. not ... plugged it into the front of the vu+ box then switched the boc off...

are you trying to flash helios or zeus??

paulcox22
03-05-14, 23:38
im not sure what im flashing it with, as i say, im not too clued up when it comes to this sort of stuff. i just downloaded a new vix firmware and thought that would flash onto the box. which is the best, helios or zeus? and do you have any links for the most up to date?

judge
03-05-14, 23:41
Most up to date images will always be on http://openvix.co.uk
Helios is the current build range.

paulcox22
03-05-14, 23:42
the file i downloaded is vmlinux-vuduo.bin

paulcox22
03-05-14, 23:43
thanks, i'l have a look now and let you know how it go's :thumbsup:

paulcox22
03-05-14, 23:53
i downloaded the most recent helios image, extracted it to my desktop then transferred it to my usb stick, i switched the box off at the rear of the box, left it for 2 minutes, inserted the usb stick and switched it back on, same thing happens, it begins to load, the animated spinning vix in the top left hand corner appears, then the screen go's black for a couple of seconds, then back to the big blue moon page, the channel data bar comes on the bottom but then go's straight off and it sticks on the big blue moon page with openvix in the top right hand corner of the screen and is unresponsive to the remote.

judge
04-05-14, 00:05
Have a look at the flashing guides on the same server.
Are you missing a button press on startup with the new image? Maybe try another USB stick.

shuggy
04-05-14, 00:26
make sure u don't have usb in the back of duo as it will not flash but just start up, have the usb stick in the front of the vu duo

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 06:23
Have a look at the flashing guides on the same server.
Are you missing a button press on startup with the new image? Maybe try another USB stick.
The DUO doesn't require any button to be pushed: it should flash automatically when a valid image folder is found during the first stage of the boot process.
It is indeed important that no other USB-ports are occupied.
Also make sure the zip-file has been unzipped to the stick; the folder structure should remain in place.

paulcox22
05-05-14, 17:46
how do you mean missing a button press on startup? ive tried with another usb stick and its exactly the same.

judge
05-05-14, 18:01
how do you mean missing a button press on startup? ive tried with another usb stick and its exactly the same.

As Rob points out, the Duo doesn't need any button press on flashing an image. It's been so long since I flashed one, I'd forgotten.

Rob van der Does
05-05-14, 18:13
Hehe, same here: it happens quite often that I leave the stick in the box after flashing.
Endless flashing is what you get then :p

paulcox22
05-05-14, 20:25
thanks, does it matter which version i download? i have downloaded the most recent, openvix-Helios.016-vuduo_usb.zip.

ronand
05-05-14, 21:47
Its best to use the latest. Extract the files onto your usb stick. Make sure that you have a vuplus folder in the root of the usb drive after extracting/copying.

paulcox22
06-05-14, 19:32
quick update on the problem, i downloaded the image again and extracted it straight to the usb so the vuplus file was in the root of the usb (different to when i put the file in before) the box has rebooted with the new image, now i am at the video input selection where it asks me to press ok if i can see the page, my only problem now is the box doesnt respond to my remote control, the remote has new batteries and the tv flashes red when buttons are pressed so i know its working. one step forward, 2 steps back!! lol :mad:

mickyblueys
06-05-14, 20:03
What does it say on the vfd. If"starting" then it hasn't booted up, correctly.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

paulcox22
06-05-14, 22:40
im not sure what the vfd is, if its the display on the vu+ box then it says nothing, the low red power light that was in the top left of the display has now become a brighter orange light. i have done the process again and both times i get to the screen that shows a picture of the remote control on the right of my screen with an arrow pointing to the ok button and text which saty

video input selection

please press ok if you can see this page on your tv (or select a different input port}

the next input port will be automatically probed in 20 seconds.

HDMI
scart
scart - ypbpr
ypbpr

but my box wont respond when i press any of the buttons on the remote