PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Vu Duo Flash Memory

rocky4j
18-08-14, 09:11
Hi I am looking for some advice regarding flash memory. Last night my vu duo box crashed due to insufficient memory. I then removed picons via ftp and the box come up without any issues.

The question is my free memory is always around 5mb free. Is there a way to add more memory or somehow get the Vix software to use the hdd to use for memory storage? Not sure this can be done but looking for all possible options.

Also can the physical memory on the vu duo be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

cactikid
18-08-14, 09:32
have you checked if anything is going to internal flash like epg,maybe using cacheflush from plugins will help on memory issues known on the duo.
possibly if you have downloaded loads of plugins may slow box down,do you have a swap file on usb setup helps in time of stress?

Trial
18-08-14, 09:48
Hi,
simple solution for a start use usb flash drive for PIcon. Not so simple solution use a plugin called FlashExtender which should be installed after a fresh flash and it also uses flash drive. For RAM there is only swap as an extension.

ciao

timofee
18-08-14, 10:03
I had various problems with the Duo with the later ViX versions, all caused by lack of space.

I then set up a swap file - maximum size possible - and it now runs without any problems at all. I set it up on the hard drive rather than the USB.

Larry-G
18-08-14, 12:01
Hi I am looking for some advice regarding flash memory. Last night my vu duo box crashed due to insufficient memory. I then removed picons via ftp and the box come up without any issues.

The question is my free memory is always around 5mb free. Is there a way to add more memory or somehow get the Vix software to use the hdd to use for memory storage? Not sure this can be done but looking for all possible options.

Also can the physical memory on the vu duo be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

Linux handles memory very differently to windows, in that it considers free memory as wasted memory and will therefore use as much as possible, freeing up portions as and when the system requests, so 5mb free is pretty much normal and certainly nothing to worry about. That said the Duo is now a older system and you should only really install the plugins you need, removing those that you dont use or need.

The main things I would look at for a Duo would be to move the EPG and any picons to a external device such as a USB stick, and maybe look at a swap file, although I personally never needed to use one on the two Duo's I had.

rocky4j
18-08-14, 13:34
Thanks guys. I have only have the needed plugins. I will add a USB and move the epg and picons over. Do I extend the swap to hard drive or USB?

timofee
18-08-14, 13:38
Swap file will work with both HDD and USB.

Some people like using HDD as it's quicker, others prefer the USB as it stops the HDD starting up unnecessarily.

Larry-G
18-08-14, 13:39
Try without a swap file first, It's best to only enable a swap file if it is needed, but you should never store EPG data on the flash as this can corrupt very easily filling the flash to the point where the receiver crashes and you are forced to reflash.

timofee
19-08-14, 13:50
I recommend that you set up a swap file on the VU+ Duo as it solves all your memory problems.

With the latest ViX images it is very easy to set up a swap file by going through a few simple menu commands.

The big advance with the swap file is that you don't have worry about memory full crashes any more. You can try some of the interesting ViX plug ins without the worry that the box will run out of memory and crash.

Trial
19-08-14, 17:34
Hi,
swap does not change the problem with flash so 1 or 2 big plugins and you get a crash due to no space left on device.

ciao