PDA

View Full Version : Warning clone remotes

bulmers
16-12-15, 14:51
Recently ordered an extra remote for my Vu+ Duo2 from the bay for €13.30 instead of €49 form UK. Now for €13.30 I knew they had to be clones but if they worked then no problem. It arrived about 3 weeks later and worked fine, Has all the functions as the original, even the TV codes work fine for controlling the TV volume and TV power. Everything seemed fine so I ordered another one for the bedroom. BUT about 2 weeks later I noticed that the batteries were going low in the first remote so I replaced them. Then 2-3 weeks later they went low again. I was using good Duracell batteries so I knew It wasnt dodgy batteries. Also the second remote arrived and it also seemed to be working just fine with all the working functions.

Im a TV engineer so now its time to investigate:
I used my meter to measure the quiescent current of the original VU+ remote and the clone VU+ remotes. (quiescent current is the current used when the remote is just sitting there with no buttons being presses)
Results:

Original VU+ remote : 1uA (the lowest resolution my meter reads down to)
Clone VU+ remotes : 5mA !!!!!!! (5000 times more power consumption. ( 1mA=1000uA) )

Its no wonder that the batteries dont last any length in these clone remotes! They are consuming way too much power when not in use.

Just a warning to anyone interested in buying cheap remotes from the bay.

I have done a small mod to reduce the quiescent current down to 0uA. It involved fitting a small tact switch to the bottom of the remote that cuts the power to the remote when not in use. When I pick up the remote I just hold the small switch on which restores power to the remote. Basically gives the remote a momentary action on/off switch. The other option was to fork out almost €100 for 2 new genuine remotes. So Im happy to use the switch option!