PDA

View Full Version : Replacing SSD

digitl
18-06-24, 13:25
I need to replace the SSD (2TB) with a larger one (4TB, don't ask - Management!). What is the best way, please, to do this and transfer all of the data across so the new SSD will install without needing to be set up or losing any data?

Could I remove the SSD, connect it to an external enclosure, use something like Acronis True Image to clone the drive to a file on my Windows 11 desktop and then clone to the new SSD?

Or is there something simpler?

BarneyBoy
18-06-24, 20:08
I need to replace the SSD (2TB) with a larger one (4TB, don't ask - Management!). What is the best way, please, to do this and transfer all of the data across so the new SSD will install without needing to be set up or losing any data?

Could I remove the SSD, connect it to an external enclosure, use something like Acronis True Image to clone the drive to a file on my Windows 11 desktop and then clone to the new SSD?

Or is there something simpler?

If you have some linux experience, there is a much simpler way to achieve your goal.

leave your 2TB-SSD in the SF8008 box
put your 4TB-SSD in an external enclosure
connect your 4TB-SSD to an USB port of your SF8008 box
the 4TB-SSD will be mounted automatically
ssh to your SF8008 box
type the command 'mount', this will show you where your SSDs are mounted
type the command 'cp -a <mount-dir-for-2TB-SSD>/* <mount-dir-for-4TB-SSD>'
wait for completion of the copy process (depending on the amount of data, maybe up to an hour)
poweroff your SF8008 box
substitute your 2TB-SDD with the 4TB-SSD
poweron your SF8008 box
you're done!

Good luck

BarneyBoy
18-06-24, 20:24
Sorry, I've overseen, that you're using a VU+ device. But the procedure is principal the same as for the Octagon SF8008.

Trial
19-06-24, 07:34
Hi,

wait for completion of the copy process (depending on the amount of data, maybe up to an hour)

you are quite optimistic;-) 2TB is around 2.000.000MB and the box has problems to write 30MB/sec to the external drive. This means it would take around 18 hours and even this is optimistic. If I have a PC with USB3 (best would be USB 3.1 or 3.2 gen2) these can copy with around 500 or 1000MB/sec which means it only takes 2 to 3 hours.

Ralf

BarneyBoy
19-06-24, 10:33
Hi,

you are quite optimistic;-)

I don't know the detailed specs of the poster's vu+ device, specially whether it has USB2 or USB3 ports.

In principal I agree with your calculations. The most important factor is the amount of data. In case of USB3 it doesn't matter, whether you do the copy process on a vu+ device, on a win, linux or apple pc.

Trial
19-06-24, 10:38
Some VU have USB3 but the SOC is not fast enogh.

bellejt
19-06-24, 10:39
has usb 3.0 ports

adm
19-06-24, 11:29
has usb 3.0 ports

But the speed of transfer very much depends on the software driving the port.

birdman
19-06-24, 11:59
you are quite optimistic;-) 2TB is around 2.000.000MB and the box has problems to write 30MB/sec to the external drive. This means it would take around 18 hours and even this is optimistic. If I have a PC with USB3 (best would be USB 3.1 or 3.2 gen2) these can copy with around 500 or 1000MB/sec which means it only takes 2 to 3 hours.
This is true if your PC is running Linux, but if yours is running MS Windows you'll have a problem with the ext4 filesystem.

Although you could install Ubuntu on Windows (wsl2). mount both filesystems (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-mount-disk) in USB3 caddies and do the copy there.

bellejt
19-06-24, 12:06
or use AOMEI Partition Assistant (free) on your windows Pc