Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Replacing SSD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Replacing SSD

I need to replace the SSD (2TB) with a larger one (4TB, don't ask - Management!). What is the best way, please, to do this and transfer all of the data across so the new SSD will install without needing to be set up or losing any data?

Could I remove the SSD, connect it to an external enclosure, use something like Acronis True Image to clone the drive to a file on my Windows 11 desktop and then clone to the new SSD?

Or is there something simpler?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digitl View Post
    I need to replace the SSD (2TB) with a larger one (4TB, don't ask - Management!). What is the best way, please, to do this and transfer all of the data across so the new SSD will install without needing to be set up or losing any data?

Could I remove the SSD, connect it to an external enclosure, use something like Acronis True Image to clone the drive to a file on my Windows 11 desktop and then clone to the new SSD?

Or is there something simpler?
    If you have some linux experience, there is a much simpler way to achieve your goal.

1. leave your 2TB-SSD in the SF8008 box
    2. put your 4TB-SSD in an external enclosure
    3. connect your 4TB-SSD to an USB port of your SF8008 box
    4. the 4TB-SSD will be mounted automatically
    5. ssh to your SF8008 box
    6. type the command 'mount', this will show you where your SSDs are mounted
    7. type the command 'cp -a <mount-dir-for-2TB-SSD>/* <mount-dir-for-4TB-SSD>'
    8. wait for completion of the copy process (depending on the amount of data, maybe up to an hour)
    9. poweroff your SF8008 box
    10. substitute your 2TB-SDD with the 4TB-SSD
    11. poweron your SF8008 box
    12. you're done!

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BarneyBoy For This Useful Post:

digitl (19-06-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, I've overseen, that you're using a VU+ device. But the procedure is principal the same as for the Octagon SF8008.
    Last edited by BarneyBoy; 18-06-24 at 20:49.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    [*]wait for completion of the copy process (depending on the amount of data, maybe up to an hour)
    you are quite optimistic;-) 2TB is around 2.000.000MB and the box has problems to write 30MB/sec to the external drive. This means it would take around 18 hours and even this is optimistic. If I have a PC with USB3 (best would be USB 3.1 or 3.2 gen2) these can copy with around 500 or 1000MB/sec which means it only takes 2 to 3 hours.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,

you are quite optimistic;-)
    I don't know the detailed specs of the poster's vu+ device, specially whether it has USB2 or USB3 ports.

In principal I agree with your calculations. The most important factor is the amount of data. In case of USB3 it doesn't matter, whether you do the copy process on a vu+ device, on a win, linux or apple pc.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Some VU have USB3 but the SOC is not fast enogh.
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    has usb 3.0 ports
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellejt View Post
    has usb 3.0 ports
    But the speed of transfer very much depends on the software driving the port.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    you are quite optimistic;-) 2TB is around 2.000.000MB and the box has problems to write 30MB/sec to the external drive. This means it would take around 18 hours and even this is optimistic. If I have a PC with USB3 (best would be USB 3.1 or 3.2 gen2) these can copy with around 500 or 1000MB/sec which means it only takes 2 to 3 hours.
    This is true if your PC is running Linux, but if yours is running MS Windows you'll have a problem with the ext4 filesystem.

Although you could install Ubuntu on Windows (wsl2). mount both filesystems in USB3 caddies and do the copy there.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    or use AOMEI Partition Assistant (free) on your windows Pc
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E