Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

DTT Not great on new updated image....

Some progress I hope!

I found this link
Code:
http://support.sundtek.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html

Following its suggestion, I reloaded the new ViX 2.3 image, but this time instead of loading the Sundtek drivers from the Control Centre Plugin I did the following:

First, unplug the Sundtek Media Pro from the USB Port

Telnet into the box and ran the following commands

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.sundtek.de/media/sundtek_installer_development.sh
chmod 755 sundtek_installer_development.sh
./sundtek_installer_development.sh
cd /usr/script
./DVB_T_Tuner_autostart.sh
./DVB_T_Tuner_starten.sh

Reboot the box

Plug the Sundtek Media Pro back into the USB Port ( the Sundtek site mentioned something about "With the latest driver there was a firmware update introduced, this requires to replug the device after installing the driver.")

Hey Presto...all looks good!
Not quite sure what driver this installed, but it's been working since last night (15 hours)...I've tested recording one DTT channel while watching another... all is good!

The one issue that seems to still occur (and I found this with the Black Hole Image too) is that if you run through the DTT channels too quickly using the "+" button on the remote it seems that the Tuner "locks out" and you have to reboot the box...at a guess it's as if the Tuner doesn't have time to lock into the new channel and so it gives up, I don't recall this happening with the pre 3.1.1 version

Like I say, this one issue is common to both ViX and Black Hole, so I take back what I said before... looks like this is not a ViX issue, and (surprise, surpise!) you are right Andy, looks like a Sundtek issu!

S.
 
Will have a go at it over the weekend.

Thanks for the update.

D


Some progress I hope!

I found this link
Code:
http://support.sundtek.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html

Following its suggestion, I reloaded the new ViX 2.3 image, but this time instead of loading the Sundtek drivers from the Control Centre Plugin I did the following:

First, unplug the Sundtek Media Pro from the USB Port

Telnet into the box and ran the following commands

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.sundtek.de/media/sundtek_installer_development.sh
chmod 755 sundtek_installer_development.sh
./sundtek_installer_development.sh
cd /usr/script
./DVB_T_Tuner_autostart.sh
./DVB_T_Tuner_starten.sh

Reboot the box

Plug the Sundtek Media Pro back into the USB Port ( the Sundtek site mentioned something about "With the latest driver there was a firmware update introduced, this requires to replug the device after installing the driver.")

Hey Presto...all looks good!
Not quite sure what driver this installed, but it's been working since last night (15 hours)...I've tested recording one DTT channel while watching another... all is good!

The one issue that seems to still occur (and I found this with the Black Hole Image too) is that if you run through the DTT channels too quickly using the "+" button on the remote it seems that the Tuner "locks out" and you have to reboot the box...at a guess it's as if the Tuner doesn't have time to lock into the new channel and so it gives up, I don't recall this happening with the pre 3.1.1 version

Like I say, this one issue is common to both ViX and Black Hole, so I take back what I said before... looks like this is not a ViX issue, and (surprise, surpise!) you are right Andy, looks like a Sundtek issu!

S.
 
Will have a go at it over the weekend.

Thanks for the update.

D

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...while the Tuner does seem to stay stable for longer, the old problems of the signal being lost and needing a reboot do reappear.

So I've gone back to the old ViX2.3

S.
 
I think I will hold off too.

Here is the pickle. Who can tell if these issues are sorted in the future.. Will DTT users be stuck on the original 2.3...

Its not an issue for most users here (as they dont use it) Irishchris used to be heavily involved in looking at the DTT issues being reported but I think the problem is bigger than anyone here can address. (Receiver, Software and USB Tuner developed in isolation.)

What I have done in the interim is to get my old DM 7020s to record Irish stuff to the Movie Folder on my Duo over network (it frees up a tuner but doesnt have RTE2 HD though.
I think this is a dead duck until the replacement for the Ultimo comes with DVB-T2 card. At least then there will be some onus on VU+ to have the tuner working properly on the official image which should make it easier for the other images to implement.

D

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...while the Tuner does seem to stay stable for longer, the old problems of the signal being lost and needing a reboot do reappear.

So I've gone back to the old ViX2.3

S.
 
I have been using a PCTV Nano Stick 290e T2 on my ET9000 ruining latest Vix for over 10 days with no problems at all the drivers are in the Vix feeds and installed without a problem im in the UK mainland
 
@dfdream:-
Alternatively, you could buy a Nova-T or PLAYTV tuner - I've been using both on a Duo and Uno respectively for the past 5 days with the latest Vix 2.3.161 and so far without a problem. They're also much cheaper than the Sundtek.

@bassethound:-
Interested to know if MHEG5 (digital text) is working on the PCTV Nano stick???

jgc115
 
bassethound,

I honestly dont know what the issue is. I know I keep going on about it and others have no issues. A common theme seems to be amongst Irish users (here and other forums). Maybe when the HD Freeview stuff starts rolling out the issue will raise its head again.

I had seen somewhere on the web lots of complaints from italian users who are using the dvb-t2 as well and similar issues.

Ah Well...


I have been using a PCTV Nano Stick 290e T2 on my ET9000 ruining latest Vix for over 10 days with no problems at all the drivers are in the Vix feeds and installed without a problem im in the UK mainland
 
@bassethound:-
Interested to know if MHEG5 (digital text) is working on the PCTV Nano stick???

jgc115

Hi m8 if you are referring audio sub titles this is working fine cant get teletext to work :(
 
Hi m8 if you are referring audio sub titles this is working fine cant get teletext to work :(

Was referring to teletext - looking forward to the day this is supported by some DTT tuner on Vu+

Thanks

jgc115 :(
 
Alternatively, you could buy a Nova-T or PLAYTV tuner - I've been using both on a Duo and Uno respectively for the past 5 days with the latest Vix 2.3.161 and so far without a problem.

Are you using these with Irish DTT? I've had a Nova-T on my Duo for a while (certainly since VIX 1.2) and have had ongoing intermittent problems no matter what the image version (I haven't tried other images, though - I'm VIX through and through!). Generally it involves a system hang when switching to a DTT channel - this happens at least once every couple of days. The VIX spinner starts up and the only solution is to reboot the box. Others have reported similar problems.

I have a Nova-T on my DM800HD running OpenPLI without any such problem. I certainly think it is an issue with the VU DTT driver and Irish DTT.
 
Are you using these with Irish DTT? I've had a Nova-T on my Duo for a while (certainly since VIX 1.2) and have had ongoing intermittent problems no matter what the image version (I haven't tried other images, though - I'm VIX through and through!). Generally it involves a system hang when switching to a DTT channel - this happens at least once every couple of days. The VIX spinner starts up and the only solution is to reboot the box. Others have reported similar problems.

I have a Nova-T on my DM800HD running OpenPLI without any such problem. I certainly think it is an issue with the VU DTT driver and Irish DTT.


Yes, I am using them on Irish DTT and I'm sorry to report that I've had my first failure on the Nova-T today. In fairness though I went out to try and break it by switching rapidly between SAT and DTT and hey presto! the spinning vix, had to reboot to the box to recover. It alway seems to be when you're switching between SAT and DTT, in particular when you're switching from an encrypted SAT channel to DTT.

I'm also a VIX fan through and through (latest image is fantastic) and consequently havn't tried another image. But I have to say the DTT is a lot more reliable on the latest image. Maybe the Ultimo will the answer to all our problems with the DTT pluggable tuner???

Interesting to hear the DM800HD is free of DTT issues. Is it the DM800HD SE you've got and what is is like to use? Also what's the OpenPLI like, is it as user friendly as the VIX?
 
Guys, your sticks work OK with latest 3.1.1 kernel? Iam using latest OpenPLi and i have issues. When i install nova-t drivers, i cannot watch my recordings from HDD. Sound is also muted when i wake up the receiver. I need to press mute button twice to get sound again...

I guess you dont have such problems?
 
jgc115,

Unfortunately the Ultimo only comes with a DVB-T tuner not a DVB-T2 for HD/Saorview.

None in the pipline either it seems.

D

Yes, I am using them on Irish DTT and I'm sorry to report that I've had my first failure on the Nova-T today. In fairness though I went out to try and break it by switching rapidly between SAT and DTT and hey presto! the spinning vix, had to reboot to the box to recover. It alway seems to be when you're switching between SAT and DTT, in particular when you're switching from an encrypted SAT channel to DTT.

I'm also a VIX fan through and through (latest image is fantastic) and consequently havn't tried another image. But I have to say the DTT is a lot more reliable on the latest image. Maybe the Ultimo will the answer to all our problems with the DTT pluggable tuner???

Interesting to hear the DM800HD is free of DTT issues. Is it the DM800HD SE you've got and what is is like to use? Also what's the OpenPLI like, is it as user friendly as the VIX?
 
jgc115,

Unfortunately the Ultimo only comes with a DVB-T tuner not a DVB-T2 for HD/Saorview.

None in the pipline either it seems.

D


Hi dfdream,
As you probably know you do not need a DVB-T2 to receive HD Saorview. Saorview is, of course using MPEG-4 in the transport stream as standard and there is an MPEG-4 decoder present on all Vu+ boxes, that is why your DVB-T USB tuner is receiving RTE HD. I would be 100% certain that the DVB-T tuner (assuming it complies with the DVB-T European standards) for the Uno and the Ultimo will work in Ireland as, I believe, it does in other European countries to receive HD TV where MPEG-4 coding is used in the Transport Stream.

Granted, I would love to see a DVB-T2 tuner for the Vu+ as this would give it more support in UK and Ireland and maybe help to get things like MHEG5 (which is part of the Saorview and T2 spec) working on it as the T2 will work on both Saorview and Freeview-HD - Here's hoping someday soon!
 
Thanks for the update lad.

D

Hi dfdream,
As you probably know you do not need a DVB-T2 to receive HD Saorview. Saorview is, of course using MPEG-4 in the transport stream as standard and there is an MPEG-4 decoder present on all Vu+ boxes, that is why your DVB-T USB tuner is receiving RTE HD. I would be 100% certain that the DVB-T tuner (assuming it complies with the DVB-T European standards) for the Uno and the Ultimo will work in Ireland as, I believe, it does in other European countries to receive HD TV where MPEG-4 coding is used in the Transport Stream.

Granted, I would love to see a DVB-T2 tuner for the Vu+ as this would give it more support in UK and Ireland and maybe help to get things like MHEG5 (which is part of the Saorview and T2 spec) working on it as the T2 will work on both Saorview and Freeview-HD - Here's hoping someday soon!
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top