Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

HDD drone / hum

  • Thread starter Thread starter intrigue
  • Start date Start date
I

intrigue

Guest
Hello

Installed HDD (500gb 5400rpm 16mb cache seagate) in to my box last night but it's making the box hum / drone, most notably when box is off as TV isn't masking it a bit. It's weird, as if I am sat on sofa or on the floor I can't hear it, but if I stand up I can hear at and it's annoying. Box is in a wooden tv unit. Didn't make this noise before install.

Could someone help me with some settings to stop it?

1) HDD standby / sleep - what should this be ideally? 1,2,5 minutes? What exactly does this do and what effects would it have being set at 1 rather than 5?

2) Timeshift - the wife loves using timeshift, but quite often will turn the tv off leaving the box in timeshift which really annoys me haha. Should I set timeshift to start automatically after 1 minute and is the best place to save it to the HDD or should I set timeshift to go to USB? If timeshift isn't set to run automatically I can't rewind off the bat if we want to go and re-see something.
Is there any way of setting timeshift so it stops after 3 hours or something so if she does just turn the tv off it's not just recording one whacking great file?

3) Should I be putting box in to standby or deep standby overnight. What is the difference? Does the EPG and ABM automatically wake the box to refresh the data as I have these set for early morning updates. Should I download EPGrefresh plugin or is this not needed with the VIX image?

Sorry for all the questions guys!
 
Haha. Regardless of the imaginary requirement to have a 250gb hdd, I managed to solve the droning using some ultra soft 'acoustifeet'
 
Haha. Regardless of the imaginary requirement to have a 250gb hdd, I managed to solve the droning using some ultra soft 'acoustifeet'

I was going to suggest fitting some Rubber Grommets but you seem to have fixed it now :D
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top