Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Ultimo4K] Possible memory leak, need help on how to figure it out

phunkyfish

New member
Joined
May 24, 2018
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Hi,

I recently set up my Ultimo4K from scratch as I was getting crashing issues every few days.

  • System OE: OE-Alliance 4.3
  • Firmware version: OpenViX 5.3.039 (2020-07-19)
  • Kernel / Drivers: 3.14.28 / 20190424
  • OWIF: 1.4.0

Unfortunately this did not help, I can still observe the memory reaching capacity via the top command every few days. It will then eventually crash. Prior to a fresh install I replaced the HDD.

The device is also used for development as I maintain the pvr.vuplus (Enigma2) add-on for kodi so there will be a lot of use via OpenWebIf, both for the XML APIs and streaming server.

I'm not sure exactly when this started but I could use some guidance on how to track down what causes this. Outside of occasionally manually updating OpenWebIf with fixes I would not know too much about the enigma2 internals. For all I know the memory usage pattern is expected and the issue lies somewhere else!

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.

I should add that the Ultimo4K has 2xDVB-S2 FBC tuners and a DUAL DVB-T2 tuner. It is configured via ABM for both Freesat and Saorview in Ireland. This is the only configuration applied since the fresh install. The saorview channels appear as part of the freesat bouquets using a custom mix file. All EPG data is embedded in the stream.
 
Last edited:
Crash logs will be a good start, usually found in /media/hdd/logs
 
Cool, I will grab those on the next crash. But I don't have a logs folder in /media/hdd. Do I need to create it or would they be located elsewhere?
 
The log was actually in /home/root/logs. Here it is:

View attachment Enigma2_crash_2020-09-15_21-55-00.log

EDIT: I have htop installed now too. Not sure if it's relevant or not to this but it used to take 4/5 seconds to play a channel from a remote kodi host. Now it takes about 20 seconds to play a channel.
 
Last edited:
If it is causing a problem, please uninstall htop.


Some other threads with issue
Code:
https://forums.openpli.org/topic/25860-recordings-failed-to-allocate-filepush-buffer/
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?58563-Repeated-crashes-quot-Failed-to-allocate-filepush-buffer-contact-MiLo-quot

EDIT:
I can't see any fixes in ATV 's movielist for memory leak

Code:
https://github.com/openatv/enigma2/commits/6.4/lib/python/Components/MovieList.py

Issue was opened here
Code:
https://github.com/openatv/enigma2/issues/1026
 
Last edited:
@"abu baniaz"

Thanks for the guidance. Do you know of anyway I can prove this is a leak in Movies.py? Its a leak coming from somewhere.

The kodi addon updates timers and recordings every few minutes. Let me try disabling the recordings update and see does that slow down the rate of the leak.
 
Rebooting the box once a day should avoid any more crashes.
 
Well I have to prove it's Movies.py first. But even if I do I need to figure out how to find a memory leak in a python file. That will be the hard part. As there has been no movement on the issue open on OpenATV I guess the only this will get fixed is if I do it myself.
 
After only a few hours of testing memory consumption appears to stay consistently below 200MB used. I'll leave it run throughout the day but it pretty much confirms the leak is in MovieList.py.

Now just need to figure out how to fix it.
 
Yes, I saw it. Now I just need to figure out which parts are the GUI parts!
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top