Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] Prevent others from changing any setting

divil_a_bit

New member
Joined
Jan 28, 2014
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I recently setup my parents with an Edison Mini receiver purchased from WoS. I'm going to be the first and only support person!

I'm wondering is it possible to prevent them changing any of the setting. Is this possible with openvix?
It's possible my Dad could end up in a settings section and hit the wrong buttons ... and also, when their grandchildren visit, they could also change some settings.
How can I lock down the box so it's not possible to change any setting without a PIN or without enabling it via SSH or via WebIf?
 
I don't know if there is a way to do exactly what you ask, but at least you can make a settings backup and keep it safe on your computer or a usb stick that isn't connected to the receiver. And you may keep an image backup in the same place to protect from failed image updates or completely broken other images.
 
Thanks - done that already. I just want to prevent the Support calls I see myself getting after the grandkids have changed some settings!
 
Good idea Rob. Thanks. That would do the trick.

So I guess that means the feature I'm looking for is not supported in openvix
 
Thanks Rob - it's nice to get a definitive answer (even if it's not the answer I wanted to hear)
 
Once you have configured the image make a backup copy and you can restore that at any time.

Set backup manager to make regular backups.
 
I didn't realise parental control could also disable access to certain menu items. Nice!
It's almost exactly what I want - it's still possible to hit the Menu button when in the EPG or other screens and change the configuration.
 
it's still possible to hit the Menu button when in the EPG or other screens and change the configuration.
Why don't you try it to see. Most of us want these receivers because they have lots of features, not so we can disable them. My six year old does not have any trouble operating these receivers so there is no reason why any adult should. The concept that E2 receivers are somehow difficult/complicated to operate is a myth. The GUI is brilliant with lots of useful hints texts. As long as you have a backup you will not have any problems. And if the worst comes to the worst you can sort it out remotely.
 
Apart from having to visit your parents to restore the backup :)

But to be honest: modern kids are much more handy with electronic devices than many adults will ever be :)

And OP is not the first one asking this question for the very same reason: on every E2-related forum you see the same question.
 
Last edited:
Restore backup:
Menu -> setup -> vix -> backup manager -> highlight backup -> press yellow -> ok.

Restore image:
Menu -> setup -> vix -> image manager -> highlight image -> press blue-> ok.

Is that really so complicated? I don't think my 80-year-old mother would have any trouble with that, if written down. Why do people have such low expectations of their family members?
 
I want an E2 receiver because of how configurable it is and I like to get under the hood
My parents want an E2 receiver because they want to ditch Sky and save money (and they prefer the channels and the fact that the channel order can be customised).

I want to setup my parents with an E2 receiver and walk away knowing I won't get a support call.
 
All you have to do is the first time they mess it up make sure you take your time getting there to fix the issue, a couple of days will suffice, they'll then never mess about ever again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top