Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Quad UHD 4K Pro setup resources for novices

Fairly

New member
Joined
Mar 15, 2025
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi all,

I'm attempting to setup a GiGaBlue Quad UHD 4K Pro with the terrestrial tuner add-on from scratch. I have next to no knowledge of satellite equipment and minimal Linux experience. I've successfully setup and tested terrestrial channels with EPG but have run into my first issue. The VIX manual from 2014 doesn't appear to have the solution I need and I'm finding searching the forum for a solution difficult as I don't know what approach might suit my VIX image and box. My setup is as follows:

- GiGaBlue Quad UHD 4K Pro with Dual DVB-C/T2 Tuner add-on
- OpenViX 6.7.005
- 1TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD storage
- Inverto Unicable II LNB (IDLU-32UL42-UNBOO-OPP (Item 5679)

I'm having trouble initialising the SSD - error message indicates a timeout when attempting to mount it as a storage device, though the formatting stage appears to have completed successfully. If anyone has experienced this issue and/or has experience with this specific setup (or similar) I would be very grateful if you could post links to relevant learning resources, either on this forum or elsewhere. The objective is to get Irish terrestrial channels along with UK Freesat channels with as many tuners operating as possible. I intend to try the Dream Player app on Firesticks to enable multi-room viewing from one box, as I already own a number of Firesticks.

Many thanks for your time
 
Hi all,

I'm attempting to setup a GiGaBlue Quad UHD 4K Pro with the terrestrial tuner add-on from scratch. I have next to no knowledge of satellite equipment and minimal Linux experience. I've successfully setup and tested terrestrial channels with EPG but have run into my first issue. The VIX manual from 2014 doesn't appear to have the solution I need and I'm finding searching the forum for a solution difficult as I don't know what approach might suit my VIX image and box. My setup is as follows:

- GiGaBlue Quad UHD 4K Pro with Dual DVB-C/T2 Tuner add-on
- OpenViX 6.7.005
- 1TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD storage
- Inverto Unicable II LNB (IDLU-32UL42-UNBOO-OPP (Item 5679)

I'm having trouble initialising the SSD - error message indicates a timeout when attempting to mount it as a storage device, though the formatting stage appears to have completed successfully. If anyone has experienced this issue and/or has experience with this specific setup (or similar) I would be very grateful if you could post links to relevant learning resources, either on this forum or elsewhere. The objective is to get Irish terrestrial channels along with UK Freesat channels with as many tuners operating as possible. I intend to try the Dream Player app on Firesticks to enable multi-room viewing from one box, as I already own a number of Firesticks.

Many thanks for your time

Do you have the capability to format the ssd on a PC? If so do so……Needs to be ext4
 
Is the SSD in a caddy?

SSD is in a caddy. The system sees it and detects make and model. During initialisation it appears to create a partition and filesystem but then stalls at 99% progress, the volume mount stage, and after a minute displays the mesasge 'Initialising storage device... Error: Timeout elapsed, sorry'.
 
Do you have the capability to format the ssd on a PC? If so do so……Needs to be ext4

I don't have an operational PC with the necessary SATA connector present. Is it possible to create a bootable Linux USB stick which would work with the box and enable me to format Ext4 from a command line? (assuming there is no simpler solution?)

EDIT - I found the 'Mount Manager' tool and attempted to mount the drive at 'SDA' - this appeared to work, rebooted the box, but when I go into the 'Recordings' menus I get a message that the partition 'Must be formatted as EXT or NFS' so it appears the formatting is invalid. Some kind of bootable Linux USB stick might be the easiest solution then I assume? If such a thing exists which will work with this box and image?
 
Last edited:
I don't have an operational PC with the necessary SATA connector present. Is it possible to create a bootable Linux USB stick which would work with the box and enable me to format Ext4 from a command line? (assuming there is no simpler solution?)

EDIT - I found the 'Mount Manager' tool and attempted to mount the drive at 'SDA' - this appeared to work, rebooted the box, but when I go into the 'Recordings' menus I get a message that the partition 'Must be formatted as EXT or NFS' so it appears the formatting is invalid. Some kind of bootable Linux USB stick might be the easiest solution then I assume? If such a thing exists which will work with this box and image?
I am back home later today and will work on fixing this during Monday…. So if you can give me 24 hours hopefully I can fix this for you.
 
I don't have an operational PC with the necessary SATA connector present. Is it possible to create a bootable Linux USB stick which would work with the box and enable me to format Ext4 from a command line? (assuming there is no simpler solution?)

EDIT - I found the 'Mount Manager' tool and attempted to mount the drive at 'SDA' - this appeared to work, rebooted the box, but when I go into the 'Recordings' menus I get a message that the partition 'Must be formatted as EXT or NFS' so it appears the formatting is invalid. Some kind of bootable Linux USB stick might be the easiest solution then I assume? If such a thing exists which will work with this box and image?

By the way I assume that you have a pc that you can copy files to the receiver?
 
I am back home later today and will work on fixing this during Monday…. So if you can give me 24 hours hopefully I can fix this for you.

That's amazing, and thank you though there's no mad rush. I don't even have the dish up yet. I do have a PC for file copy (though not sure how that's accomplished - FTP or similar? USB?).

On a probably unrelated note - I tried to flash the box with a Team Blue image to see if I could mount the drive with that and the flash operation hung. I left the update from USB stick operation running for 20+ minutes, no sign of success, so I powered off and tried again with different Team Blue and OpenVix images - image update hangs with all images I've tried - the box does not reboot. Bizarrely it does not appear that I've bricked the box - it still boots and appears operational and the 'About' screen says it's running the image I flashed yesterday. Is there any possibility that the OpenViX 6.7.005 image could have broken image updating via USB stick in some way?
 
That's amazing, and thank you though there's no mad rush. I don't even have the dish up yet. I do have a PC for file copy (though not sure how that's accomplished - FTP or similar? USB?).

On a probably unrelated note - I tried to flash the box with a Team Blue image to see if I could mount the drive with that and the flash operation hung. I left the update from USB stick operation running for 20+ minutes, no sign of success, so I powered off and tried again with different Team Blue and OpenVix images - image update hangs with all images I've tried - the box does not reboot. Bizarrely it does not appear that I've bricked the box - it still boots and appears operational and the 'About' screen says it's running the image I flashed yesterday. Is there any possibility that the OpenViX 6.7.005 image could have broken image updating via USB stick in some way?

The only issue at the moment using the box is to initialise the disk (which is down to a change from mdev to udev disk management)….. (I have the pro!)..apart from that its plain sailing.
When its fixed then if you want you can try other images, but in the meantime just be patient!
Bricking any E2 receiver is really a joke…if I haven’t it done it then its unlikely …although I have got pretty close with my sf8008 which fortunately I have managed to to ship to my mother in law.
 
Last edited:
Very many thanks.

The issue I had fashing a new image to the box was resolved by pulling out the hard disk before trying to flash from a USB stick. I'm unsure if this issue only occurs with a partially/badly formatted hard disk inserted but as soon as I pulled the disk the image flash operation no longer hangs when I attempt it. With the disk out I was able to flash to the latest release image (6.7.007). Powered off, reinserted the HDD and initialised it via the 'Storage' menu. This appears to have worked as going into the settings for 'Recordings' no longer shows a 'path does not exist' type error message.
 
Very many thanks.

The issue I had fashing a new image to the box was resolved by pulling out the hard disk before trying to flash from a USB stick. I'm unsure if this issue only occurs with a partially/badly formatted hard disk inserted but as soon as I pulled the disk the image flash operation no longer hangs when I attempt it. With the disk out I was able to flash to the latest release image (6.7.007). Powered off, reinserted the HDD and initialised it via the 'Storage' menu. This appears to have worked as going into the settings for 'Recordings' no longer shows a 'path does not exist' type error message.
Yes, because the bug was fixed.
 
Yes, because the bug was fixed.

So I guessed, so I was saying thanks. Very much appreciated. Also mentioned the issue flashing via a USB stick in case anyone else encounters it. I assume that's a problem with the box and the factory software for flashing a new image though, rather than with the OpenViX image? (given that it also happened with the Team Blue image?). Either way pulling the disk before attempting to flash a new image seemed to do the trick.
 
So I guessed, so I was saying thanks. Very much appreciated. Also mentioned the issue flashing via a USB stick in case anyone else encounters it. I assume that's a problem with the box and the factory software for flashing a new image though, rather than with the OpenViX image? (given that it also happened with the Team Blue image?). Either way pulling the disk before attempting to flash a new image seemed to do the trick.
in future do an online flash much safer and cleaner.
In openViX, blue button, ViX plugin, ImageManager…..download image (you have a choice - although currently with the Pro thats more limited)) - default settings will automatically backup your settings which can be restored automatically after flashing (including standard plugins)
 
Hi just bought mine having similar issues but would be useful to have a uhd quad 4k pro pdf user english manual which would help greatly.
 
Gigablue comes from a German company, who though around for some years have (to my best knowledge) only ever produced a German manual.
Also the standard Teamblue image is not (in my opinion) the most helpful image for novices

However, in general E2 images are fairly straightforward and the people on this forum will always try to help a novice setup and usually have a better grasp of whats required than a standard user manual.
 
Hi just bought mine having similar issues but would be useful to have a uhd quad 4k pro pdf user english manual which would help greatly.
Not sure if this will help it is guide I converted from german to english dont think it is complete sorry about the images those are still in german.

But yes when you go to gigblue site it is old gigblue uhd quad pro that is only one available.
 

Attachments

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top