Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Recording subtitles

  • Thread starter Thread starter paulab
  • Start date Start date
Yes, that was me :-)

I've been digging around fixing a problem with non live subtitles running ahead on my XTrend 8500 (coming along in a subsequent release hopefully). Having seen how silly live subtitles were, I couldn't not have a pop at fixing it!
 
Yes, that was me :-)

I've been digging around fixing a problem with non live subtitles running ahead on my XTrend 8500 (coming along in a subsequent release hopefully). Having seen how silly live subtitles were, I couldn't not have a pop at fixing it!
Thanks again Simon. Out of interest, I noticed on recorded shows (perhaps not of live transmissions?) the last subtitles spoken by a person remain on the screen, long after the scene has moved on. Eventually disappear (say after 5 seconds or longer) and then reappear again within a second or so. Of course, if someone speaks again in the subsequent scene the old persisting subtitles are overwritten by the latest utterances. I don't know if this is intentional, or the result of a bug.
 
Yes, I've been finding the duration of subtitles a little longer than necessary, especially where there's no dialogue for a prolonged period. Back to the DTT specification to see what they say...
 
i want to know is there any sowtware to use make subtitles for youtube vides i dont know about it
 
Yes, that was me :-)

I've been digging around fixing a problem with non live subtitles running ahead on my XTrend 8500 (coming along in a subsequent release hopefully). Having seen how silly live subtitles were, I couldn't not have a pop at fixing it!

Hi Simon - I've just updated to 5.2.045 but still seeing the live subtitles appearing a word at a time, though sometimes it then rewrites them afterwards as a single line briefly?
 
Thanks, Abu. I've gone back to the earlier version with the fix for now so the box is usable and it's working fine.
 
I think that's version where the improvement has been removed again because it make subtitles in Finland a bit ugly. I'm waiting for a sample recording so I can find out what Finnish broadcasters are doing differently.
 
One other oddity I've noticed; the subtitles move up and down as you would expect to avoid obscuring content, but on one particular quiz programme (The Chase, ITV1) they always end up at the bottom when the next question appears on screen, making it impossible to read the question text. This doesn't happen on the TV's built-in Freeview or on my old Topfield box, and seems to happen on most if not all episodes.
 
I'll set a recording for it and take a look. Do you get the same behaviour when watching a recording or watching live? It's repeated all over the place on ITV4 and Challenge, have you noticed the same problem on these other channels?
 
Thanks. I've only ever watched it live, I'll set some recordings on the different channels and let you know.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I've looked at recordings from ITV4 and Challenge. The issue happens during the section with one contestant against the Chaser. What seems to be happening is that the last bit of dialogue (usually "here is your next question") before the question and possible answers appear on screen displays at the bottom, but then lingers for around 7-8 seconds, obscuring the question text.

Looking at a couple of other programmes, it seems that, where as a subtitle normally disappears as soon as the next bit of subtitled speech appears, if there is no more speech immediately then the subtitle remains on-screen for several seconds. On the TV's own freeview the subtitle will disappear immediately.
 
Hi Simon - don't suppose you've had a chance to look at this again?
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top