Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[Zgemma H7] Samba not starting after upgrade to 6.2 from 5.4

capistrano

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2016
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I upgraded from 5.4 to 6.2 (with settings restore) yesterday and since then the samba daemon won't start.

From /var/log/samba.log.smbd:
Code:
[2022/10/05 17:21:32.882288,  0] ../../source3/smbd/server.c:1734(main)
  smbd version 4.15.6 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2021
[2022/10/05 17:21:32.929520,  0] ../../source3/auth/auth_util.c:1409(make_new_session_info_guest)
  make_server_info_info3 failed with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2022/10/05 17:21:32.929970,  0] ../../source3/smbd/server.c:2011(main)
  ERROR: failed to setup guest info.

I've tried restoring /etc/samba from an old 5.4 settings backup and also accepting the default /etc/samba from 6.2 but I get the same error in both cases. It doesn't look like there are any changes in the default settings anyway.

I've tried uninstalling the Samba serivce and reinstalling via the GUI - no difference.

Any advice on how I can get past this problem? It was very handy to have the external drive shared on the network and I'd hate to lose this functionality.
 
Last edited:
Please do a search on the forum for samba. This is already answered.
 
Yes, I went through this thread but nothing there fixed it for me. There must be some specific settings changes that will resolve the problem.

I am sure there are, but I am also sure they are covered in the previous posts. If you cannot find a fix, then set up from new
 
Thanks for the quick responses but, honestly, I can't get anything mentioned in that thread to fix the problem.

Anyway, I got around the problem by enforcing password protected access. I just uncommented the line with "include = /etc/samba/distro/smb-secure.conf" in /etc/samba/smb-user.conf. Of course, I now need to authenticate when mounting the share but I guess that's better anyway.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top