Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

SES launches 4K ‘demo’ channel for UK

Larry-G

V.I.P ,
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
32,540
Reaction score
405
Points
0
Age
48
Satellite operator SES is now broadcasting a 4K/Ultra High Definition channel over the UK and Ireland from 28.2 degrees East. The new channel is simulcasting the UHD demonstration channel that is currently at SES’s primary European orbital position of 19.2 degrees East.

The channel’s 4K clips features a mix of colourful and extremely detailed scenes that demonstrate the clarity of Ultra HD television – urban sports, exotic animals and nature, cityscapes – along with footage of SES headquarters in Betzdorf.

Through its collaboration with industry partners, SES says it is signalling its determination to continue to lead the UHD experience and make it a commercial reality. The Ultra-HD content is broadcast using the DVB UHD-1 Phase 1 specifications and is encoded in the HEVC Main 10 standard.

The 4K signals can be received with a standard satellite dish connected to an Ultra-HD flat screen TV featuring an integrated satellite tuner and HEVC decoder.

Mike Chandler, managing director of ASTRA (GB) Ltd, SES’s subsidiary in the UK said: “We are delighted to have set up this demonstration channel at the prime orbital position for the UK market. We are making use of the capacity to enable UK and Irish retailers, installers and enthusiasts to understand the technology that makes UHD possible, and what it will mean for their viewing experience. We encourage our trade partners to show our Ultra-HD demo channel at their points of sale for demonstration purposes.”

Reception parameters:

Transponder: 2.038

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4

Code:
[FONT=Verdana]http://advanced-television.com/2015/02/12/ses-launches-4k-demo-channel-for-uk/[/FONT]


 
Looks stunning, can't wait for the next generation of hevc enabled set top boxes.
 
.... We encourage our trade partners to show our Ultra-HD demo channel at their points of sale for demonstration purposes.”

Reception parameters:

Transponder: 2.038

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4




Hi @phoenix and @DaMacFunkin

I have tried to tune this on my VuPlus Solo2 - fixed dish pointing at 28.2.

I have tried inputting the details posted in manual and blind scan - but nothing found! In manual I can't input the 12.441 frequency? In the blind scan mode I scan from 12.440 -> 12.442 H+V, but no channles found either way?

Can either of you please give me a pointer as to how to tune this please. I am a bit of a newbie to this, Thanks!
 
Hi All
are you connecting direct to 4k tv or though sat receiver? i have scaned frequency and found channel but get only sound but no picture.
thanks
 
Figured it out! Manual Scan and then change Type of scan to "User defined transponder" and then of course fill in the details as posted by @phoenix above

Astra UHD Demo-2822015-1448.webp

Hope it might help somebody else
 
Last edited:
Hi All
are you connecting direct to 4k tv or though sat receiver? i have scaned frequency and found channel but get only sound but no picture.
thanks

I am also getting audio for now, but as with other channels I expect they will broadcast pictures at certain times. I am using Sat receiver via HDMI to Samsung 4k TV
 
Hi All
are you connecting direct to 4k tv or though sat receiver? i have scaned frequency and found channel but get only sound but no picture.
thanks

same here, music plays but no pic
 
same here, music plays but no pic

Actually, I wonder if it is the compression - I guess the current range of set top boxes don't have hevc?

Should have read the small print in @phoenix post

Through its collaboration with industry partners, SES says it is signalling its determination to continue to lead the UHD experience and make it a commercial reality. The Ultra-HD content is broadcast using the DVB UHD-1 Phase 1 specifications and is encoded in the HEVC Main 10 standard.

The 4K signals can be received with a standard satellite dish connected to an Ultra-HD flat screen TV featuring an integrated satellite tuner and HEVC decoder.

I have a Samsung HU8500 4K telly like @DaMacFunkin; hopefully I'll figure out how to tune that after the Rugby!
 
Last edited:
I have a Samsung HU8500 4K telly like @DaMacFunkin; hopefully I'll figure out how to tune that after the Rugby!

It's half time and have tuned the Sammy.

Getting stunning pictures. Am afraid it must be that the hevc codec's aren't available on STB's yet - guess it won't be long!! Am pretty sure it will probably will be new hardware though - can't see this being a soft codec, but what do I know?
 
Last edited:
This channel is broadcasting in hevc, you won't be able to view it with any current stand alone satellite reciever, you can however manually tune it directly to a hevc enabled TV set with a satellite tuner such as the samsung HU8500 which is what I currently own.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top