Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[Venton Unibox HDx] Streaming help

  • Thread starter Thread starter reeves1985
  • Start date Start date
R

reeves1985

Guest
I have been doing a bit of playing with my receiver and have come across a problem which I'm hoping somebody can help with.

In old images you used to be able to set the streaming port from within the openwebif interface itself.

On newer images this isn't possible which is fine.
The problem is I need to change the default streaming ports to something else. (8001, 8002 to 8005, 8006 for example)

The reason being is I have a full CCTV system that's running and uses those ports. So I don't want to touch those and would like to change the defaults for openwebif.

I've been doing some searching and found some information that was helpful in some way about editing a couple of .py files and deleting the .pyo files.
Trouble is it seems on newer builds there is only the pyo files in the locations.

So I'm hoping one of the more technically skilled members might be able to point me in the right direction to help me resolve the issue.

Thanks
 
The problem is I need to change the default streaming ports to something else. (8001, 8002 to 8005, 8006 for example)

The reason being is I have a full CCTV system that's running and uses those ports. So I don't want to touch those and would like to change the defaults for openwebif.
You're running this CCTV system on the Vix box?

Unless you are there is no clash. Ports are per network-interface.
 
You're running this CCTV system on the Vix box?

Unless you are there is no clash. Ports are per network-interface.

No sorry to be clearer
The cctv us a separate system but uses the ports that vix is trying to use for streamung from Web interface
So I need to change the streaming port in openwebif from 81 to something else
 
No sorry to be clearer
Sorry, but you are not.

The Vix box using port 81 or 8001 (or any other) doesn't interfere with a different box using the same ports.
(If it did you'd never be able to telnet/ssh into different systems...).
 
What I'm trying to say is that the streaming port used from openwebif is 8001 if I am connecting from outside of my LAN
From within the LAN everything works fine which is how it should.
My problem is my cctv system is setup to use 8001 if connecting from outside the LAN

So because of that if I try to connect to openwebif from anywhere in the world other than my house it cannot stream because it's trying to connect to the default streaming port which is configured withing the pyo files which is pprt 8001.
I need to change this for example to 8005 to work but I cannot see a way how to do it
 
Sorry, but you are not.

The Vix box using port 81 or 8001 (or any other) doesn't interfere with a different box using the same ports.
(If it did you'd never be able to telnet/ssh into different systems...).

Sorry the question is related to external streaming not streaming withing the LAN.
If that makes it clearer
 
But surely you can map an external port (say 8004) to port 8001 on your receiver's IP address using the port forwarding facilities on your router? Or are you limited to a 1:1 map from external to internal?

I would caution against any port forwarding to your camera system or to your receiver without using VPN. It is too trivial to compromise receivers or other systems from the web when they are shared using port forwarding. Receivers have no security against someone pirating your tuners or the contents of your recordings.
 
But surely you can map an external port (say 8004) to port 8001 on your receiver's IP address using the port forwarding facilities on your router? Or are you limited to a 1:1 map from external to internal?

I would caution against any port forwarding to your camera system or to your receiver without using VPN. It is too trivial to compromise receivers or other systems from the web when they are shared using port forwarding. Receivers have no security against someone pirating your tuners or the contents of your recordings.

The superhub 2 is very limited and as far as I can tell I can only use 1:1
Its a poor router to be honest and even simple pprt forwarding is a pain to get working.

The receiver will only be open to the world when I know I'll be wanting to use it so that's not so much a problem

The cctv is recorded both locally and remotely and I believe their is security in place on that side so that shouldn't be a problem.

But putting that aside for a moment is there no way I can change the default port from 8001 at all?

I know there used to be a setting in the older version of openwebif to do this and also you could edit the py files and delete the pyo files.
But now all you see is the pyo files themselves.
 
To solve the original problem without participating in the off-topic discussion:
Telnet/ssh to the box
Enter
Code:
opkg install streamproxy
Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf and change 8001 in this line
Code:
8001            stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/bin/streamproxy            streamproxy
to any other port.
You can even just duplicate that line and use a different port on that new line, then you have streaming on two ports (8001 and the port chosen by you).

Please note that streamproxy auths through the Webif, so auth for streaming (yes|no) is set under Extensions -> OpenWebif
 
To solve the original problem without participating in the off-topic discussion:
Telnet/ssh to the box
Enter
Code:
opkg install streamproxy
Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf and change 8001 in this line
Code:
8001            stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/bin/streamproxy            streamproxy
to any other port.
You can even just duplicate that line and use a different port on that new line, then you have streaming on two ports (8001 and the port chosen by you).

Please note that streamproxy auths through the Webif, so auth for streaming (yes|no) is set under Extensions -> OpenWebif

Thanks you very much just what I was looking for.
I'll give it a go when I get home tonight
 
Thanks you very much just what I was looking for.
Another possibility would have been to use the NAT table in iptables (which would do all of the port-to-port transfer in the kernel), except....
unfortunately the module isn't compiled - (I did look....).
 
Thanks you very much just what I was looking for.
I'll give it a go when I get home tonight
FWIW, works fine for me. Uses very little CPU and memory.

It does end up using a different mechanism to the usual port 8001 streaming.

Port 8001 streaming gets logged as:

< 1738.246> [eDVBServicePMTHandler] ok ... now we start!!
< 1738.246> [eDVBServiceStream] STREAM service event 5
< 1738.246> [eDVBServiceStream] try it again when we are tuned in
< 1738.246> [eDVBCAService] new service 1:0:1:104D:104D:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:
< 1738.246> [eDVBCAService] add demux 1 to slot 0 service 1:0:1:104D:104D:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:
< 1738.247> [eDVBDemux] open demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1
The streamcopy method (which goes via port 80) gets logged as:

< 1883.934> [eDVBServiceRecord] RECORD service event 5
< 1883.934> [eDVBServiceRecord] start streaming...
< 1883.935> [StreamService] RECORD event for us: <enigma.iRecordableServicePtr; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'ePtr< iRecordableService > *' at 0x70ff6c80> >
< 1883.939> [eDVBDemux] open demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1
< 1883.939> [eDVBSectionReader] DMX_SET_FILTER pid=7270
< 1883.946> [StreamService] RECORD event for us: <enigma.iRecordableServicePtr; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'ePtr< iRecordableService > *' at 0x70ff6c80> >
< 1883.948> [eDVBCIInterfaces] gotPMT

So if you have any issues it will be worth mentioning the method when reporting them.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info birdman and SpaceRat.
I'll definitely be trying it.
I've only just got home so will have to wait until tomorrow now
 
One thing to bear in mind (which I've only just noticed - because of an unrelated action) is that whereas this will work for streaming services, if you want to view recordings that will require you to have access to port 80.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on that.
I'm assuming that port 80 might already be in use but I'm going to have to double check the router to see for definite.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top