Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Very Warm in Standby

Daytona

Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
68
Reaction score
1
Points
8
Location
Somerset
Could someone please advise.
Just recently setup my aging Ultimo after a 4 year rest and noticed that the case top centre is getting very warm while the box is in standby.
Temperature is 40° when I start the box in the morning and 43° when using.
Temperature is 16° when coming out of deep standby.
Is this temperature normal when in standby as I thought everything was shutdown when in standby ?
TIA
 
Could someone please advise.
Just recently setup my aging Ultimo after a 4 year rest and noticed that the case top centre is getting very warm while the box is in standby.
Temperature is 40° when I start the box in the morning and 43° when using.
Temperature is 16° when coming out of deep standby.
Is this temperature normal when in standby as I thought everything was shutdown when in standby ?
TIA

Very little is switched off in standby and hence no real power saving in standby and no drop in temperature. 40C is OK.

In deep standby the power consumptions drops to under 1Watt (a EU regulation)

Perhaps the only thing standby gives you is a fast video output whereas deep standby may take up to a minute to fully boot.


The box will wake up from deep standby for timed recordings.

You can use power timers to switch the box fully on for a short period every day to fetch a EPG etc. You can set a daily timer to switch the box on for a short period to do the same. You can then set a power timer or a normal timer to switch the box back into deep standby afterwards.

For instance, when not viewing or recording my box is always in deep-standby. I have daily timers to fetch the Sky IEPG and the box wakes up for around 15 minutes, fetches the IEPG, and then goes back to deep standby.

I also have power timers to switch the box into standby at 00:30, another power timer to put the box into standby if I haven't touched the remote for 2 hours and a power timer to switch the box into deep standby if it has been in standby for 10 minutes.
Examples of these can be found at
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63922-startup-to-standby#6
with a small correction at
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63922-startup-to-standby#8
 
Thanks very much for your quick and very informative response.
Never used the power timer in all the time I have had the box.
Really thought there was a problem with the box so thanks to you I will now use deep standby.
Your help very much appreciated.
 
I just recently purchased a Vu Uno4k SE. As is my usual practice, I checked the power consumption at the power socket. In normal operation it draws about 15W. In standby, about 13W. In deep standby it's 0.3W. So, as @adm says, to conform to EU regs the box uses less than 1W in deep. There is little difference between normal operation and standby. The processor is running and the receiver might switch off the LNB supply if it's not recording. I wouldn't describe the case of my Uno as warm, though. I'm using an SSD and the Uno only has one on-board sat twin tuner. Similar figures for my AX61HD and Mutant HD51.
 
Last edited:
Thanks very much for the information. I always used standby in the past assuming that the box was basically shut down.
Now using power timer to put the box into deep standby :-)
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top