Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Win xp pro cloned drive will not boot - really need help on this asap

Is this the first time you have tried the cloned image? We have any idea if it's good or not.
Also when windows detects changes like in previous post it will tell you, not hang on a black screen.



Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.
 
Last edited:
no not the first time I have tried but all the data is there inc boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect etc.
I have manually opened Boot.ini and ntldr in an editor and can see nothing wrong as afr as I can tell.
I am now in the process taking an image of laptops current working drive that I am going to restore to the new Samsung drive and see if it boots, I am beginning to suspect that it maybe the new drive firmware or something so if this doesnt work it proves its the new drive in which case I will try restoring the image I really need to the older working drive and see what happens.

And yes you are right if it detects hardware changes its normally reported on screen
 
Assumed you'd already tried this, but posting in case not (and me being too presumptuous)... But, have you tried pressing F8 key to see if it gives you any options to boot up the hdd? Like safe mode, last known good config etc. also, have you tried booting up with win xp cd, and doing a restore install? Where it keeps all info, but gets it back working? Also, have you tried reinstalling to another laptop or pc?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
I got a feeling it's because the machine you took the image off is too different from the machine you're putting it on.
Would be nice if you had the original machine to test it on.
Not just hardware different but software different, bios etc.


Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.
 
no not the first time I have tried but all the data is there inc boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect etc.
I have manually opened Boot.ini and ntldr in an editor and can see nothing wrong as afr as I can tell.
I am now in the process taking an image of laptops current working drive that I am going to restore to the new Samsung drive and see if it boots, I am beginning to suspect that it maybe the new drive firmware or something so if this doesnt work it proves its the new drive in which case I will try restoring the image I really need to the older working drive and see what happens.

And yes you are right if it detects hardware changes its normally reported on screen
Can you have both working drive and the old/new drive installed at the same time?. In which case install dual boot ( EasyBCD or Vistaboot Pro) on the working system and then add the old/new drive as a bootable XP system.
Then see if you can boot from the dual boot system which may overcome some of the difficulties (you need to watch out for the boot drive letters)

At least you should get into loading up the Old XP system even if it crashes later because of incorrrrect hardware drivers.
 
Is there no chance you can contact the software supplier and just ask them if they can send out a disk for you? What was the software you need called?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
 
B&R pc2000 - its Austrian and no longer available according to b&r - still got a couple of things to try though going to edit ntldr manually later to check the hardware changes.
 
If still can't get anything back after all of that, then can you try contacting them tomorrow? Surely they will have it archived somewhere...

But, did you try the windows xp repair install? Also, how about using the mobscene usb stick. a lot of tools on there that might help, or hiren boot disk...
 
ok my info might be out of date or even incorrect but I have one time had winxp report itself as a non - original copy after I've cloned over. Also a new windows xp cd would only allow a certain number of fresh instalations before new activation keys have to be bought from microsoft - I got this info from microsoft , phoning them for help trying to get my (then) new winxp installation to work after the 5th or so cd installation. I dont mean to say win7 has this installation key limit either.

Is this the first time you have tried the cloned image? We have any idea if it's good or not.
Also when windows detects changes like in previous post it will tell you, not hang on a black screen.
 
Made any progress?


Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

Sort of, I have determined that it will not boot due to the extensive hardware differences between the original laptop and the new one, however I have located and purchased a unit identical to the original that should be delivered tomorrow so we will see then.
I also managed to extract and run the PLC programming software via a Win98 DOS partition, but I was unable to get the PLC system reprogrammed because the backup data is held by my client on 5 floppys and one of them simply will not read at all, this disk is crucial for the loading of the machine parameters so now the client must go back to the machine manufacturer and obtain another copy (at great expense), until then his production remains stopped.
 
you could try doing a clean install of the windows xp over the top of the backup image but dont overwrite the hard disk (it will load the OS on but will not overide the contents.
 
thanks but all sorted, managed to find a same model laptop
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top