Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue QUAD] Adding support for wireless 11AC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darrellr
  • Start date Start date
D

Darrellr

Guest
Guys,

Is there any interest in adding support for Wireless 11ac USB adapters as an alternative to the ethernet port? I have just bought a Netgear R6250 AC1600 router and a single Netgear A6200 V1 USB adapter. There doesn't appear to be any linux drivers for thethis USB adapter (based on BCM43526 chipset) but I can see that there are some for the Edimax EW-7822UAC and A6200 V2 (Realtek RTL8812AU based) ->
Code:
http://www.edimax.com/images/Image/Driver_Utility/Wireless/NIC/EW-7822UAC/EW-7822UAC_linux_v4.2.2_7502.20130517.tar.gz
.

Possible?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Is there any interest in adding support for Wireless 11ac USB adapters as an alternative to the ethernet port? I have just bought a Netgear R6250 AC1600 router and a single Netgear A6200 V1 USB adapter. There doesn't appear to be any linux drivers for thethis USB adapter (based on BCM43526 chipset) but I can see that there are some for the Edimax EW-7822UAC and A6200 V2 (Realtek RTL8812AU based) ->
Code:
http://www.edimax.com/images/Image/Driver_Utility/Wireless/NIC/EW-7822UAC/EW-7822UAC_linux_v4.2.2_7502.20130517.tar.gz
.

Possible?

USB does not have enough bandwidth so it will have advantage. USB2 is only 480Mbits incl overheads. AC is 1700Mbits, so you would need USB3 at least.
 
USB does not have enough bandwidth so it will have advantage. USB2 is only 480Mbits incl overheads. AC is 1700Mbits, so you would need USB3 at least.

Hi Andy,

Both the Edimax EW-7822UAC and A6200 V2 (Realtek RTL8812AU based) are USB3 devices. I'll buy one, or whatever device the group feels is 'standard', and act as tester if it helps. I bought the a6200 device without thinking through :mad:

Let me know if you guys are willing to have a go and what USB device you want to focus on.

NB. All the USB device regardless of USB2/USB3 are 2x2 radios and hence the max theorectical is 867 mbps - real world maximums are around 500 mbps which is ~ double the rate I'm getting through the usb3 'gigabit' adapter. Seems worth a trial.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So a maximum of around 300Mbs seems a realistic value for real data throughput.

i have several gigabit wired cat5 usb2/usb3 dongles the max throughput they achieve is about 264mbits in an ultimo, i so doubt wireless could achieve that.
 
Well as I said, willing to act as GuineaPig if you compile the relevant lobs for the Quad


Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap
 
Having had a bit more of a look at the options the cheaper RTL8812au chipset seems very popular with 22 USB3 2x2 (867 mbps max.) devices:

ASUS USB-AC56; Amped Wireless ACA1; Belkin F9L1109 v1; CC&C WL-8210-V1;D-Link DWA-180 rev A1; Edimax EW-7822UAC; Elecom WDC-867U3; EnGenius EUB1200AC; I-O DATA WN-AC867U; IpTIME A2000UA; Linksys WUSB6300; Loopcomm LP-9097; Manhattan 525572; NEC Aterm WL900U; Planex GW-900D; Rosewill AC1200UBE; Sitecom WLA-7100; TP-LINK Archer T4U; TRENDnet TEW-805UB; Western Digital My Net AC USB Adapter; ZyXEL AC240; ZyXEL NWD6605

Prices go as low as £30 each for the cheaper brands and there are 2 different Linux driver sets

Whilst there are only seven devices based on the USB2 2x2 (867 mbps max.) BCM43526 chipset:

ASUS USB-AC53; Belkin F9L1106 v1; Buffalo WI-U2-400D; Buffalo WI-U2-866D; D-Link DWA-182 rev A1; Netgear A6200; Tenda W900U

These tend to be more expensive too, in the £50 range with no linux support
 
Last edited by a moderator:
the driver RTL8812AU will be in feed from build 763
 
Asus ac-53 is bcm43526 based


Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap
 
:) I'll order an edimax ac adapter today so I'll test it out when it arrives.

When will build 763 be available? I need to do a full reinstall I understand


Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap
 
:) I'll order an edimax ac adapter today so I'll test it out when it arrives.

When will build 763 be available? I need to do a full reinstall I understand


Sent from a mobile device - apologies for any crap

tonight, not if your already on 760 >
 
Flashed to 766 and then OTA upgraded to latest. Installed driver from feed and all working perfectly.

What is the best way to test speed of throughput? I added the ftp client but can't get it to connect to my FTP server? Is there a command line ftp client?

[EDIT] I connected my laptop by Ethernet to the AC router and Ftp'd using the Gigablue ftp server.


Transfers were between 20-22 MBytes/s (160-180 mbits/s) which is more than adequate for my purposes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Flashed to 766 and then OTA upgraded to latest. Installed driver from feed and all working perfectly.

What is the best way to test speed of throughput? I added the ftp client but can't get it to connect to my FTP server? Is there a command line ftp client?

[EDIT] I connected my laptop by Ethernet to the AC router and Ftp'd using the Gigablue ftp server.


Transfers were between 20-22 MBytes/s (160-180 mbits/s) which is more than adequate for my purposes.

yeah same as giga bit lan on usb.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top