Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Duo2] Any future support for IceTv epg plugin?

diceman01

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
Points
8
Age
47
Location
Australia
Hi everyone hope all is well. I have fired up my old VU+ Duo2 to use with DVB-T in Australia as DVB-S is pretty much non existent unlike you lucky people abroad. The issues we face here is the epg options. I was wondering do VIX plan on supporting the IceTV epg as its the best setup we have available?
 
Hi,

as I understand it, IceTV was originally only made available for Australian PVRs such as the Beyonwiz range and IceTVs own (and failed) PVR. I'm pretty sure I saw mention of a version for OpenATV which as I understand Beyonwiz now base their version of E2 off. You could try visiting the Beywonwiz forums and enquire there. I think the user PeterU developed it for the BW range, but I also recall it having to be licensed (at the time), not sure if that is still the case.

Sorry, not much help really.

Craig
 
Peteru developed the IceTV plugin for Beyonwiz; I currently do most of the maintenance. The IceTV plugin has been ported to OpenATV, but not to ViX. The port was mostly done by Captain, with some contribution from me.

The main obstacle to porting to ViX is that there are some changes required in epgcache.{h,cpp} to allow enough of the IceTV EPG data to be put into the EPG cache for IceTV to function properly. It also needs some changes to other screens like the EPG and Timers to allow timers to be marked as originating from IceTV, and when a combined FTA/IceTV EPG is used, to indicate which channels have their EPG sourced from IceTV. The combined FTA/IceTV EPG feature is currently only available in OpenATV. I haven't backported it to Beyonwiz yet because it's not as useful for Australian FTA as it is for German FTA.

If I were to do a port of IceTV to ViX, I'd probably try to cherry-pick it from ATV, because the changes are mostly in a set of commits over a relatively short time, while the Beyonwiz commits extend over a much longer time period, and there are more of them.

If you want to promote the idea of getting IceTV on ViX, the place to raise it is probably the IceTV forum: http://forum.icetv.com.au The IceTV MD (Colin O'Brien) and the CTO (Daniel Hall) both post there fairly regularly. Colin posts with the handle MD. Daniel looks after the IceTV database and its APIs to supported devices. I post there, too. The Beyonwiz developers, including peteru and me, can be found on the Beyonwiz forum https://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum The IceTV forum and almost all of the Beyonwiz forum can be read without signing up. You need to sign up to post on either. On the Beyonwiz forum your first 5 posts need to be approved - it's an anti-spam measure, and provided your post isn't clearly spam, it's usually approved as soon as a moderator sees it. There is some history about a port to ViX, but I'm not sure how much of that I'm free to post.
 
I'm pretty sure I saw mention of a version for OpenATV which as I understand Beyonwiz now base their version of E2 off.

As I posted above, yes, there is an ATV port of the IceTV plugin, but it's certainly not the case that Beyonwiz bases the current versions of their firmware on ATV. However, there is a version of ATV that runs on the Beyonwiz V2, which is a rebadged Octagon SF8008. In fact, with a minor patch to libreader, the SF8008 ATV image will also run on the V2.

Peteru has recently posted this about the origins of the Beyonwiz image: https://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=14630&p=193194#p193194
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top