Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[CrossEPG-Config] Auto Timers and Channel 4 HD

You are making hard work of this, you really are.
Sky UK FTA offers much more channels than Freesat. Just try it, nothing to lose!
No viewing card is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
>You are making hard work of this, you really are.
Probably. Having come from a Humax Freesat box and while I can appreciate the flexibility of Openvix, it is incredibly geeky. Great if you have a long term understanding. But otherwise quite a learning curve. Even a simple glossary is missing - eg what is the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

>Sky UK FTA offers much more channels than Freesat. Just try it, nothing to lose!
Yes - but probably just likely more dross??

No viewing card is needed.
Thanks. Another topic I read on Sky mentioned a viewing card. Just shows how much trawling around one can do to just get misinformation!!
 
>You are making hard work of this, you really are.
Probably. Having come from a Humax Freesat box and while I can appreciate the flexibility of Openvix, it is incredibly geeky. Great if you have a long term understanding. But otherwise quite a learning curve. Even a simple glossary is missing - eg what is the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

99.9% of users with a working system have never needed to ask the question because they haven't had to go that deep into the system. It is possible to get what you wanted from just using the GUI. How would someone have got CH4 HD on a Humax Freesat box now that the channel has been removed from the Freesat line-up/EPG?

>Sky UK FTA offers much more channels than Freesat. Just try it, nothing to lose!
Yes - but probably just likely more dross??

Yep a lot more dross but also some channels you may want and you don't have to include the dross in a favourites bouquet.
 
Last edited:
>You are making hard work of this, you really are.
Probably. Having come from a Humax Freesat box and while I can appreciate the flexibility of Openvix, it is incredibly geeky. Great if you have a long term understanding. But otherwise quite a learning curve. Even a simple glossary is missing - eg what is the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

>Sky UK FTA offers much more channels than Freesat. Just try it, nothing to lose!
Yes - but probably just likely more dross??

>No viewing card is needed.
Thanks. A forum topic I read on Sky freesat mentioned a viewing card. Just shows how much trawling around one can do to just get misinformation!!
 
>How would someone have got CH4 HD on a Humax Freesat box now that the channel has been removed from the Freesat line-up/EPG?

Following the Arris Freesat box guidance - probably simpler than OpenVix!! But Freesat has to be retuned afterwards.

https://www.satandpcguy.com/2020/04/23/how-to-add-channel-4-hd-to-your-arris-uhd-x-freesat-box/

And the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

And to get Ch4HD on 126, I put the .xml at https://www.world-of-satellite.com/...Hacks-Examples&p=472107&viewfull=1#post472107

into /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom

But still shows as Channel 1000 after a reboot??
 
Last edited:
>How would someone have got CH4 HD on a Humax Freesat box now that the channel has been removed from the Freesat line-up/EPG?

Following the Arris Freesat box guidance - probably simpler than OpenVix!! But Freesat has to be retuned afterwards.

https://www.satandpcguy.com/2020/04/23/how-to-add-channel-4-hd-to-your-arris-uhd-x-freesat-box/

:) Yep much easier than just saying no to Freesat and yes to Sky FTA :) And, having to know the frequency, symbol rate etc. etc. is not geeky :)
Doesn't the Humax box only provide a now/next EPG for channels scanned that way which is a bit of a pain if wanting to record the current seasion of F1 on HD when future timings of the broadcast are unknown?

And the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

No idea but I have CH4 HD with a 7 day over the air EPG without having to touch those files.


Have you now got CH4 HD working in the way you want? If not which bit would you still like some help on.
 
This bit please - so I get more understanding how it should work:

"And to get Ch4HD on 126, I put the .xml at https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post472107

into /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom

But still shows as Channel 1000 after a reboot??"

Or should that .xml be pasted into another file??
 
Last edited:
This bit please - so I get more understanding how it should work:

"And to get Ch4HD on 126, I put the .xml at https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post472107

into /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom

But still shows as Channel 1000 after a reboot??"

Or should that .xml be pasted into another file??

After sending CustomMix you need to rescan ABM
 
Thanks for that - but sending I assume is pasting into the custom folder??

And the reason for the Freesat tangle is 2 fold - I'm used to Freesat and the first OpenVix video guide is Freesat ABM!!
So I assume delete bouquets and start again with Sky UK ABM??
 
Post #19 gives you 2 options, Sky UK or Freesat, you appear to be mixing them up, it's one or the other.
 
Yes.

Or if you really want to keep the Freesat channel numbering system because you already know it you could choose Freesat as your first provider in ABM and Sky UK (with FTA only set to yes) as the second one.
That way you could use the Freesat numbers for the channels that are on Freesat and for all the other stuff you the Sky numbers, plus, probably, 1000 (or maybe 2000 or 3000 etc. depending if other Freesat sub-section bouquets enabled).

Thus 106 would be BBC 1 HD (it's Freesat number), 104 would be Channel 4 (from Freesat numbers again) and 1104 would be Sky 104 which is channel 4 HD.

But I'd suggest changing to the Sky numbering system is probably the more straightforward way to go in the end.
You may even find some of the extra channels are of interest.
 
Last edited:
Brilliant. Rescanned ABM and got Ch4HD at 126. So thanks for the patience. How often should I scan the ABM?? I guess it is only required if a channel/service gets added/deleted or altered??
I read one guide that said daily. But what is another view??

So, something to think about is changing to Sky UK. I've looked at the Channel list and I can't say anything must see has jumped out, but need to have a better comparison.
Although running 2 ABMs is new - can't say I've read that anywhere.
So if I do switch, pse confirm I should delete everything first that I can find in ABM and EPG menus??
Then run Sky UK ABM, then EPG, say CrossEPG.
 
ABM creates/updates its bouquets per your selection whey you run/execute it. There is no need to delete ABM bouquets prior to rerunning it. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the bouquet are cached by Enigma2, so you need to select a different one first to see changes to your bouquets.

May I suggest you enable "add provider prefix to bouquet name" in ABM menus if you are running two providers.

You don't need to run ABM every day. Tuesdays and Thursdays is fine for UK satellite users. No harm if you run it every day.
 
So, something to think about is changing to Sky UK. I've looked at the Channel list and I can't say anything must see has jumped out, but need to have a better comparison.
Although running 2 ABMs is new - can't say I've read that anywhere.
So if I do switch, pse confirm I should delete everything first that I can find in ABM and EPG menus??
Then run Sky UK ABM, then EPG, say CrossEPG.

As far as I know you just need to say no to the provider(s) you no longer want and say yes and set the options as you want for the provider(s) you do want.
Maybe you need to do 'Delete ABM bouquets', couldn't hurt anyway.
Then run an ABM "scan" to make the new bouquets.

As to how often you need to do a scan. I don't think it really matters.
I just occasionally manually do 'Update provider files' followed by a scan.
Maybe someone else can advise.

Also I didn't really follow how you got channel 4 HD as channel 126, and maybe 'Upddate provider files' would mess that up?
 
He has not enabled the swap option in Freesat provider. When he does, 104-126 swap will occur.
 
it is incredibly geeky. Great if you have a long term understanding. But otherwise quite a learning curve. Even a simple glossary is missing - eg what is the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??

Only a geek would know/ask this. Most users do not FTP to their receivers and inspect contents.

As you have asked..
The services on the receiver are saved in the lamedb file. Presumabley, db was somoene's acronym for database. There have been different versions of lamedb where different functions get added. Version 4 is the one that everyone uses at the moment. lamedb5 is the next version, but usage of it has not been implemented because of how other plugins etc will interact with it. It is written to, but not used by enigma2 to do anything. If you compare the files, you will see benefits of it from user point of view.

The biggest hurdle to make Enigma2 images as simple as possible is that there is no set/fixed usage. The receivers are used in different countries where each provider does what they want in terms of adhering to the DVB standards. Forget countries, just look here. Sky uses 0101 for radio and 101 for TV. They don't care as they charge the manufacturers licence fees to use propriety software. The simplest demonstartion of this: Channel 4 HD is Free to Air on 28.2, but it is not part of the Freesat package.
 
>Only a geek would know/ask this. Most users do not FTP to their receivers and inspect contents.

Unbelievable. Lamedb and lamedb5 are in the Crossepg Configure menu setup options with no explanation. No ftp required. I only tried go ftp as users on this forum mentioned doing it.

Just to connect to a WLAN requires geekiness. Just about every PC, tablet and phone connects with 2 items - a network id and password. OpenVix requires fiddling around on a menu with 6 options and 5 lines of numbers etc.

I appreciate all the effort that many people put into open software, but the documentation is poor. It is clear that those in the know think everyone else will have an inate understanding as soon they switch OpenVix on. It is not the case.
 
He has not enabled the swap option in Freesat provider. When he does, 104-126 swap will occur.
Er, sorry, I meant where on earth does the number 126 come from?
But now I realise that it's probably just the first unused number in the Freesat numbering scheme.
 
Last edited:
>but the documentation is poor.
Please write better ones

>It is clear that those in the know think everyone else will have an inate understanding as soon they switch OpenVix on. It is not the case.
many guides have been written, admittedly they are not upto date.

None of the guides have mentioned changing those. You don't even need CrossEPG downloader. CrossEPG was written for several distros and also to allow fetching EPG for services not in use. Again, we would appreciate you updating the documentation.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top