Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Build my own Vix image

I use 18.04 for all OE-A 4.4 builds and in general it has always been painless and therefore I think its the easiest & safest base to use. Running nextp3 builds (the next OE-A branch) I use 20.04 and have been building both python 2 &3 images for some time without any build issues - although I use different build environments for python 2 & 3 to handle their different requirements in the final image creation..
 
..... private link, unfortunately. :p

Sorry about that. What it said was this (about a build I did on Kubuntu 20.04)

What issue was that?

I've just built the OE4.4-based 5.4.xxx for an mbtwin from scratch and apart from a qemu issue (which was nothing to do with gcc, and I now have a simple patch to fix) it completed OK.

(The qemu issue is now fixed).
 
@Birdman, so I should be okay to build using Unbuntu 20.04 without incident especially now that I believe I found issue I had previously due to building with "-native" ?
 
@Birdman, so I should be okay to build using Unbuntu 20.04 without incident [...]
I would expect that to be the case.
[...]especially now that I believe I found issue I had previously due to building with "-native" ?
Build what with "-native"?
There used to be a -march=native option in the Makefile (which was a pain for me, as I have my set-up on a USB disk and might build it on any of a variety of systems, for whom "native" is not the same) and hence I managed to get a command-line option to set this "usefully" (for me).
But that (-march=native) was removed from the OE 4.4 build, as it caused problems elsewhere.
However, since it was removed I don't see how you can be using it - perhaps you mean something else?
 
... But that (-march=native) was removed from the OE 4.4 build, as it caused problems elsewhere. However, since it was removed I don't see how you can be using it - perhaps you mean something else?
I kept using a back-up copy I made of it which could well have been from OE 4.3 days
 
I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 on a different PC and getting the following error:

ERROR: Task (/home/willo/openvix/build-enviroment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/softcams/openvix-softcams-oscam-pcscd-latest-mipsel.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 5236 tasks of which 2905 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
/home/willo/openvix/build-enviroment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/recipes-distros/openvix/softcams/openvix-softcams-oscam-pcscd-latest-mipsel.bb:do_compile
Summary: There were 53 WARNING messages shown.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
Makefile:998: recipe for target 'image' failed
make: *** [image] Error 1


I'm sure I've had something like this before but can't for the life of me remember what the fix was.

I have still got my original pc which does build successfully if it's possible to copy files from that?

View attachment log.do_compile.zip
 
I'm sure I've had something like this before but can't for the life of me remember what the fix was.
The actual error (twice) is:

Code:
[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000] fatal error: webif/pages.h: No such file or directory [/COLOR]

    6 | #include "webif/pages.h" 
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/FONT]
That's actually supposed to be built as part of the build (it's what pages_gen.c is supposed to do).
Odd....
 
FWIW I've just done an update for my et8000 build, which did a fetch and compile of the svn11677 version of openvix-softcams-oscam-pcscd-latest-mipsel and it compiled OK.
And that is on Kubuntu 20.10.

EDIT: Although Vix as a whole won't build on Kubuntu 20.10 as some code in openembedded-core can't handle gcc versions of 10+ (they start with 2 digits, not one). So I'll have to work out a PR for that. (Fix added and tested, and with it in the build completes).
Won't affect 20.04, though.
 
Last edited:
Although Vix as a whole won't build on Kubuntu 20.10 as some code in openembedded-core can't handle gcc versions of 10+ (they start with 2 digits, not one). So I'll have to work out a PR for that.
The fix actually went into openembedded-core in March this year.
When will it end up in Vix?
 
Finally building again after starting from scratch and altering a few things.
Does anyone know what the optimum settings are for the following in site.conf? I'm assuming that they're dependent on your PC?

BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "8"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 8"

I have 2 PC's and it seems to be the lower spec one that I always seem to have issues with and wondered if it is the site.conf settings?

System 9020.webp System 7010.webp

Both are using SSD's.
 
I'm guessing you want 16 threads.

Here is mine...
Code:
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "32"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 16"

And the machine...
Code:
openvix@ubuntu01:~$ sudo lshw
[sudo] password for openvix:
ubuntu01
    description: Rack Mount Chassis
    product: System x3650 M3 -[7945D2G]- (XxXxXxX)
    vendor: IBM
    version: 00
    serial: KD89BA0
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.5 dmi-2.5 vsyscall32
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=rackmount family=System x sku=XxXxXxX uuid=FD2801FA-2563-3F04-A0A2-360294A58D8F
  *-core
       description: Motherboard
       product: 90Y4784
       vendor: IBM
       physical id: 0
       version: (none)
       serial: 1550UR
       slot: Rear Bottom
     *-cpu:0
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 1
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
          slot: Node 1 Socket 1
          size: 1596MHz
          capacity: 2394MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1571MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm epb ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm arat flush_l1d cpufreq
          configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=4 threads=8
        *-cache:0
             description: L1 cache
             physical id: 2
             slot: Internal Cache Level 1
             size: 32KiB
             capacity: 32KiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back data
             configuration: level=1
        *-cache:1
             description: L2 cache
             physical id: 3
             slot: Internal Cache Level 2
             size: 256KiB
             capacity: 256KiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back unified
             configuration: level=2
        *-cache:2
             description: L3 cache
             physical id: 4
             slot: Internal Cache Level 3
             size: 12MiB
             capacity: 12MiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back unified
             configuration: level=3
     *-cpu:1
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 5
          bus info: cpu@1
          version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
          slot: Node 1 Socket 2
          size: 1862MHz
          capacity: 2394MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1571MHz
          capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm epb ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm arat flush_l1d cpufreq
          configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=4 threads=8
        *-cache:0
             description: L1 cache
             physical id: 6
             slot: Internal Cache Level 1
             size: 32KiB
             capacity: 32KiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back data
             configuration: level=1
        *-cache:1
             description: L2 cache
             physical id: 7
             slot: Internal Cache Level 2
             size: 256KiB
             capacity: 256KiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back unified
             configuration: level=2
        *-cache:2
             description: L3 cache
             physical id: 8
             slot: Internal Cache Level 3
             size: 12MiB
             capacity: 12MiB
             capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back unified
             configuration: level=3
     *-memory
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 9
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 8GiB
        *-bank:0
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 0
             slot: DIMM01
        *-bank:1
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 1
             slot: DIMM02
        *-bank:2
             description: DIMM 1067 MHz (0.9 ns)
             product: M393B5170FH0-CH9
             vendor: Samsung
             physical id: 2
             serial: 51D47383
             slot: DIMM03
             size: 4GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 1067MHz (0.9ns)
        *-bank:3
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 3
             slot: DIMM04
        *-bank:4
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 4
             slot: DIMM05
        *-bank:5
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 5
             slot: DIMM06
        *-bank:6
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 6
             slot: DIMM07
        *-bank:7
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 7
             slot: DIMM08
        *-bank:8
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 8
             slot: DIMM09
        *-bank:9
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 9
             slot: DIMM10
        *-bank:10
             description: [empty]
             physical id: a
             slot: DIMM11
        *-bank:11
             description: DIMM 1067 MHz (0.9 ns)
             product: M393B5170FH0-CH9
             vendor: Samsung
             physical id: b
             serial: 65DE7E85
             slot: DIMM12
             size: 4GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 1067MHz (0.9ns)
        *-bank:12
             description: [empty]
             physical id: c
             slot: DIMM13
        *-bank:13
             description: [empty]
             physical id: d
             slot: DIMM14
        *-bank:14
             description: [empty]
             physical id: e
             slot: DIMM15
        *-bank:15
             description: [empty]
             physical id: f
             slot: DIMM16
        *-bank:16
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 10
             slot: DIMM17
        *-bank:17
             description: [empty]
             physical id: 11
             slot: DIMM18
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          vendor: IBM Corp.
          physical id: 2f
          version: -[D6E150CUS-1.11]-
          date: 02/08/2011
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 4032KiB
          capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot netboot
     *-pci:0
          description: Host bridge
          product: 5520 I/O Hub to ESI Port
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 22
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
        *-pci:0
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:24 memory:96000000-99ffffff
           *-network:0
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 20
                serial: 5c:f3:fc:4d:11:14
                size: 1Gbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=bnx2 driverversion=2.2.6 duplex=full firmware=bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.10 ip=213.109.127.84 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
                resources: irq:24 memory:96000000-97ffffff
           *-network:1
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.1
                logical name: eth1
                version: 20
                serial: 5c:f3:fc:4d:11:16
                size: 1Gbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=bnx2 driverversion=2.2.6 duplex=full firmware=bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.10 ip=192.168.0.20 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
                resources: irq:32 memory:98000000-99ffffff
        *-pci:1
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 2
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:25 memory:92000000-95ffffff
           *-network:0 DISABLED
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:10:00.0
                logical name: eth2
                version: 20
                serial: 5c:f3:fc:3a:38:b0
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=bnx2 driverversion=2.2.6 duplex=half firmware=bc 4.6.4 NCSI 1.0.3 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
                resources: irq:25 memory:92000000-93ffffff
           *-network:1 DISABLED
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci@0000:10:00.1
                logical name: eth3
                version: 20
                serial: 5c:f3:fc:3a:38:b2
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=bnx2 driverversion=2.2.6 duplex=half firmware=bc 4.6.4 NCSI 1.0.3 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
                resources: irq:33 memory:94000000-95ffffff
        *-pci:2
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 3
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:03.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:26
        *-pci:3
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 5520/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 5
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 5
             bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:27 memory:9ba00000-9bbfffff
           *-network:0 DISABLED
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:1a:00.0
                logical name: eth4
                version: 01
                serial: 00:1b:21:a6:87:8e
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.3.0-k firmware=3.18.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
                resources: irq:27 memory:9ba80000-9bafffff memory:9bb04000-9bb07fff memory:9bb80000-9bbfffff
           *-network:1 DISABLED
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci@0000:1a:00.1
                logical name: eth5
                version: 01
                serial: 00:1b:21:a6:87:8f
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.3.0-k firmware=3.18.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
                resources: irq:44 memory:9ba00000-9ba7ffff memory:9bb00000-9bb03fff
 
Code:
       *-pci:4
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 7
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 7
             bus info: pci@0000:00:07.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:28
        *-pci:5
             description: PCI bridge
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 9
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 9
             bus info: pci@0000:00:09.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci msi pciexpress pm normal_decode cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:29
        *-generic:0 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 Physical and Link Layer Registers Port 0
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 10
             bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: 8259 cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:1 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 Routing and Protocol Layer Registers Port 0
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 10.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:10.1
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: 8259
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:2 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500 Physical and Link Layer Registers Port 1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 11
             bus info: pci@0000:00:11.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: 8259 cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:3 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500 Routing & Protocol Layer Register Port 1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 11.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:11.1
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: 8259
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:4
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub System Management Registers
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 14
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pciexpress 8259 cap_list
             configuration: driver=i7core_edac latency=0
             resources: irq:0
        *-generic:5 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub GPIO and Scratch Pad Registers
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 14.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.1
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pciexpress 8259 cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:6 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 14.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pciexpress 8259 cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:7
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Throttle Registers
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 14.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: 8259
             configuration: driver=i5500_temp latency=0
             resources: irq:0
        *-generic:8 UNCLAIMED
             description: PIC
             product: 7500/5520/5500/X58 Trusted Execution Technology Registers
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 15
             bus info: pci@0000:00:15.0
             version: 22
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: io_x_-apic
             configuration: latency=0
        *-generic:9
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.0
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:9bc00000-9bc03fff
        *-generic:10
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.1
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:17 memory:9bc04000-9bc07fff
        *-generic:11
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.2
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:18 memory:9bc08000-9bc0bfff
        *-generic:12
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.3
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:19 memory:9bc0c000-9bc0ffff
        *-generic:13
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.4
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:9bc10000-9bc13fff
        *-generic:14
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.5
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.5
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:17 memory:9bc14000-9bc17fff
        *-generic:15
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.6
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.6
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:18 memory:9bc18000-9bc1bfff
        *-generic:16
             description: System peripheral
             product: 5520/5500/X58 Chipset QuickData Technology Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 16.7
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.7
             version: 22
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msix pciexpress pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ioatdma latency=0
             resources: irq:19 memory:9bc1c000-9bc1ffff

From the above:
Code:
configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=4 threads=8

I've got 2 CPUs, 8 threads each, and I don't have any trouble running 32 BB threads. And it builds quicker than 16 threads. Maybe I should try 64 and see what happens.
 
I'll give 16 a try and see how it goes.
I was getting build errors but decided to start again and also changed both site.conf setting to 4.
Now I don't know if it was starting from scratch or changing the site.conf settings that got me up and running again :confused: :)
 
Finally building again after starting from scratch and altering a few things.
Does anyone know what the optimum settings are for the following in site.conf? I'm assuming that they're dependent on your PC?

BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "8"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 8"
The build sets this for you on its own (it sets it to the number of processors you have).*
This does mean that if the build gets to a stage where 8 compiles are going on at the same time you may be using 64 processes, but most of the time it's beneficial.
I'd just use the default setting.

*There is a "bug" here as this gets set at configuration (first run) time rather than at each run, so if you have your set-up on an external drive (as I do) and move it between systems with differing numbers of processors (as I do) it will run with 8 threads on a 4 thread system (or vice versa). But it still works....
 
if you have your set-up on an external drive (as I do) and move it between systems with differing numbers of processors (as I do) it will run with 8 threads on a 4 thread system (or vice versa). But it still works....

Now this has piqued my interest! I've got a spare 240gb ssd in the drawer so can be another little project for me :thumbsup:
 
Why are we confusing BB threads with processors? I.e. if you had 128 threads you could do 128 simultaneous fetches. Having only 16 processor threads does not inhibit this.
 
Why are we confusing BB threads with processors? I.e. if you had 128 threads you could do 128 simultaneous fetches. Having only 16 processor threads does not inhibit this.
Ideally after a few fetches you'll be doing builds in parallel for them.
Given that EACH of those builds will be running with as many threads as you have processors, you are then trying to use far more processors than you actually have, which will increase process switching and decrease cache hits.
 
Now this has piqued my interest! I've got a spare 240gb ssd in the drawer so can be another little project for me :thumbsup:
That's what I have.
Just stuck a btrfs partition on it so that I can snapshot previous builds.
 
Ideally after a few fetches you'll be doing builds in parallel for them.
Given that EACH of those builds will be running with as many threads as you have processors, you are then trying to use far more processors than you actually have, which will increase process switching and decrease cache hits.

I think raise it until it either loses stability or doesn't improve build time.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top