Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Build my own Vix image

OpenViX 6.3 is built using OE Alliance branch 5.2
OpenViX 6.4 will be built using OE Alliance branch 5.3

The branch you fork is defined at end of this line
Code:
git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 5.2

I use LraiZer's instructions

Instead of
Code:
mkdir -p ~/openvix
cd openvix

I use
Code:
mkdir -p ~/oe-a-5.2
cd oe-a-5.2

Increase the branch number as you go along. You can build ATV, OBH, ViX from that same environment, it is what you forked. All the images will have their own folder. The enigma2 branches will be defined in the conf files.

The ATV instructions previously used to say to create "openatv" directory. I convinced them to use the version number.

oe-a 5.3 commits
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commits/5.3/meta-oe

oe-a 5.2 commits
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commits/5.2/meta-oe
 
Last edited:
That will be why I managed to build 6.4 then. I had used the ATV latest build instructions because the ViX instructions wouldn't work for me.
 
Done it now - I had to re-hash out the STATIC_FEED = "1" in openvix.conf
 
You need to create a new build env cloning the oe-alliance-core 5.3 branch. This builds ok on my old 20.04 Ubuntu and 21.04. Recommendation is 22.04.
 
You need to create a new build env cloning the oe-alliance-core 5.3 branch. This builds ok on my old 20.04 Ubuntu and 21.04. Recommendation is 22.04.
It builds on 23.04 with a few provisos.

  1. /bin/sh need to be a symlink to bash. (This can no longer be done using dpkg-reconfigure.)
  2. /usr/bin/python needs to exist (a symlink to python3). So python-is-python3 needs to be installed.

1. is a bug. Both should, ideally, be fixed. (1. is actually a problem in the main Makefile!)

Also, if you build rclone you'll find that go is installed under HOME and much of it is set to be read-only. This is a definite bug (no build should affect my HOME), but Captain's comment when I reported it as an issue was that this was the standard build so was not an issue. In that case, whey are there so many patch files in the build?
 
Also, if you build rclone you'll find that go is installed under HOME and much of it is set to be read-only. This is a definite bug (no build should affect my HOME), but Captain's comment when I reported it as an issue was that this was the standard build so was not an issue. In that case, whey are there so many patch files in the build?

I wondered why that go directory kept appearing.
 
Since about 6.3.008.001 my developer builds started behaving differently.

It used to be that when I did a developer build, the version number of the build would always match the last version number in the changelog of github OpenViX/enigma2/Developer.

But now, for instance with my last build just completed minutes ago (and untested) the version in the changelog was "developer 6.4.001.002" but the resulting images were:
openvix-6.4.001.001.developer-zgemmah7_multi.zip and openvix-6.4.001.001.developer-zgemmah7_recovery_emmc.zip
when I expected 6.4.001.002.

What's causing that?
Is the same happing to everyone who builds developer builds?
Maybe I just need to rename the files and the contents is correct?
 
Last edited:
@Orlandox has reported that the official builds (recently completed) are numbered 6.4.001.001 also. May be a numbering increment didn't happen somewhere in the build files?
 
@Orlandox has reported that the official builds (recently completed) are numbered 6.4.001.001 also. May be a numbering increment didn't happen somewhere in the build files?
Something similar happened at the end of the 6.3 series, which meant that an attempt to update to the last one actually took you backwards and you had to reflash to the last-but-one.
This was reported by a few people at the time, bu there has been no comment as to what was happening.

I hope it isn't still happening.
 
I'm trying to make it go away.
I now have a simple rclone.bbappend file which:

  • Puts the mod install into the build tree (where it should be).
  • Makes all of the files and dirs writeable by the user (so you can delete them when you delete the build directory).

Code:
[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]# This uses go, which will download modules and, by default, place them [/COLOR]
# in the HOME of build user! 
# It will even make some of them read-only!!! 
# So put them within the build tree, and undo the read-only setting. 
# 

GOPATH = "${TMPDIR}/go/" 
export GOPATH 

do_compile:append() { 
    chmod -R +w "$GOPATH" 
}[/FONT]

Now to see whether I can get this into the meta-oe-alliance git....
 
One odd 6.3.x to 6.4.x change is that some parts procps now uses libncursesw rather than libncurses.

Why anything would want to use wide-chars on a Linux system is a mystery and why it would change now is even more of one.

(Only noticed this as the editor I use links against libncurses and it stopped working - for a while).
 
But now, for instance with my last build just completed minutes ago (and untested) the version in the changelog was "developer 6.4.001.002" but the resulting images were:
openvix-6.4.001.001.developer-zgemmah7_multi.zip and openvix-6.4.001.001.developer-zgemmah7_recovery_emmc.zip
when I expected 6.4.001.002.

I think Huevos has just fixed it:
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/9f6612efcfbacbef36d40b04448eaca3c1497c0b
:thumbsup:
 
I think Huevos has just fixed it:
Code:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/9f6612efcfbacbef36d40b04448eaca3c1497c0b
:thumbsup:

There is an override in layer.conf, which breaks using ?= syntax for DEVELOPER_BUILD_VERSION in distro.conf.
 
I've just built my first image for a ZGemma H9 Twin SE. The image is correctly named as openvix-6.4.001.004.developer-zgemmah9twinse but it builds into a folder called h9combose. I know it's not a problem and the combo and twin are the same base, just thought I'd mention it in case that shouldn't happen.

BTW, I think I'm missing something, how do I turn subtitles off by default? Can't remember how I did it on other boxes and can't see a switch anywhere.
 
I've just built my first image for a ZGemma H9 Twin SE. The image is correctly named as openvix-6.4.001.004.developer-zgemmah9twinse but it builds into a folder called h9combose. I know it's not a problem and the combo and twin are the same base, just thought I'd mention it in case that shouldn't happen.
It should happen.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top