Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Build my own Vix image

Thank you both. I followed step 7 and added my registered github email and name. When I run "git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 6.7" it asks me to enter my username and password
Code:
git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 6.7
Cloning into 'build-environment' ...
Username for 'https://github.com': Mickkie
Password for 'https://[email protected]':
remote: Invalid username or token. Password authentication is not supported for Git operations.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-environment.git/'
I tried entering either my password, or a github token I created. Both fail in the same manner. I'm not sure what token scopes I should have enabled, but I'm only trying to clone a public repo after all.
You do not need to be registered to download that git. I am registered as I have my own git but thats totally irrelevant for downloading oe- alliance/build-environment
but you are using wrong branch which might be the issue. The default and latest is 5.6 not 6.7 so no need for -b just take default
 
I've not had a problem since following step 7 here -
Code:
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/tree/Developer
You should clone https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2 then cd to it and git checkout Developer.

Although to build an image you actually don't need to do that at all.
You just download the build-environment.git, set up your config file and it will download the gits it needs.
 
You do not need to be registered to download that git. I am registered as I have my own git but thats totally irrelevant for downloading oe- alliance/build-environment but you are using wrong branch which might be the issue. The default and latest is 5.6 not 6.7 so no need for -b just take default
First I tried with '-b 5.6'. Then I tried without it. Then I tried with '-b 6.7' in case the error from github about an invalid username or token changed to something more meaningful. All attempts failed with the error I shared earlier.

I also tried 'https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/tree/Developer' and this time it worked! Github did not ask for authentication credentials. With renewed enthusiasm I cleared the contents of the ~/openvix directory and had another go. With '-b 5.6'. Then without. On both attempts to clone 'https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git' github started asking for username and password and each time I provided them the cloning failed in the now familiar way. I'm running out of road. It seems I won't be able to build my own image and eventually I will have to move to a different e2 distro. :(
 
First I tried with '-b 5.6'. Then I tried without it. Then I tried with '-b 6.7' in case the error from github about an invalid username or token changed to something more meaningful. All attempts failed with the error I shared earlier.

I also tried 'https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/tree/Developer' and this time it worked! Github did not ask for authentication credentials. With renewed enthusiasm I cleared the contents of the ~/openvix directory and had another go. With '-b 5.6'. Then without. On both attempts to clone 'https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git' github started asking for username and password and each time I provided them the cloning failed in the now familiar way. I'm running out of road. It seems I won't be able to build my own image and eventually I will have to move to a different e2 distro. :(
so what is in ~/.git-config ? sounds like you have previously set up credentials that are still retained and invalid
any username password - remove
any credential info remove.
Is a there a ~/.git-credentials file ? If so remove. (rm ~/.git-credentials )

try git help -a | grep credential-credential-foo and see what helpers are there.
 
Thank you twol for your advice and your patience. :)
Initially the 'openvixbuilder' account did not have a ~/.git-credentials file. After I failed to clone the oe-alliance build-enviroment I added my credentials, which were stored in ~/.git-credentials. This didn't help. On each attempt github requested username and password, as if the ~/.git-credentials content wasn't there. I removed ~/.git-credentials and tried to clone the build-enviroment again, with the same unsuccessful result. I suppose I could also remove the 'openvixbuilder' OS account and recreate it, but I'm not sure how this would make any difference. The instructions on step 7 state we should add git credentials before switching into the openvixbuilder account:
7 - Add your git user and email
git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"
I'm not sure why this is required while logged in the OS main account, if a)the git-clone command is meant to be run not as the OS main account but as 'openvixbuilder' and b)the repo is public and therefore it should not require any credentials.
 
STOP PRESS! I gave up and used another PC, which was able to clone the build environment. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this sooner. (facepalm)
 
STOP PRESS! I gave up and used another PC, which was able to clone the build environment. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this sooner. (facepalm)
Great ! Now go build ... its not that difficult apart from time for the 1st build - all the downloads etc
at some point you need to change the feeds url to point to wherever you are saving the built feeds - some people keep on teh PC, I copy to my NAS box as its up for most of the time and set the url to that .
 
Last edited:
After I added en_US.UTF-8 to my locales which was needed I started, with this error message:
Error, the PACKAGE_ARCHS variable contained duplicates. The following archs are listed more than once: hd51
Isn't the CLI syntax "MACHINE=hd51 ..." meant to deal with this?
 
After I added en_US.UTF-8 to my locales which was needed I started, with this error message:

Isn't the CLI syntax "MACHINE=hd51 ..." meant to deal with this?
MACHINE=mutant51 ....never said it was THAT simple!!
 
Great ! Now go build ... its not that difficult apart from time for the 1st build - all the downloads etc
at some point you need to change the feeds url to point to wherever you are saving the built feeds - some people keep on teh PC, I copy to my NAS box as its up for most of the time and set the url to that .
Or just put them on a USB stick.
 
I started the build. I see 3 warnings:
Code:
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-local/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta-conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
Loading cache:100% |
Loaded 0 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 30% |#########################################
Are these warnings important?
Anyway, it continued and it is now some 11% through compiling. There's no swap being used so far.

Where will the built image be stored? In ~/openvix/build-environment/builds/openvix/release/hd51/tmp/deploy/images/hd51/ ?
 
I started the build. I see 3 warnings:
Code:
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-local/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
WARNING: Duplicate inclusion for /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta-conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc in /home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/openembedded-core/meta/conf/distro/defaultsetup.conf
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
Loading cache:100% |
Loaded 0 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 30% |#########################################
Are these warnings important?
Anyway, it continued and it is now some 11% through compiling. There's no swap being used so far.

Where will the built image be stored? In ~/openvix/build-environment/builds/openvix/release/hd51/tmp/deploy/images/hd51/ ?
Are these warnings important? No
Deploy will typically contain 3 directories - images/hd51 and ipk (feeds) are important.
The ipk will contain all the ipk's built - BUT unless you change the feeds url in openvix.conf (/home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/conf/distro/openvix.conf), teh image will point to the normal openvix feeds url (which will not exist as the box is not built) so you need to change this to point to where ever you store the generated ipk feeds.
If you are not going to use Hbbtv or Kodi or anything exotic then use the Huevos created attachment - it will significantly reduce run time and feeds. It goes into /meta-local/recipes-local
Probably Huevos or others may have better ways of doing this that can go into site.conf and not need you updating the conf file ..... I have just forgotten those changes.

site.conf is in the root - find it and locate the DL_DIR --- this is where all the downloaded files are stored - don't lose it or delete it - will save repeating all the downloads etc.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you twol,
The ipk will contain all the ipk's built - BUT unless you change the feeds url in openvix.conf (/home/openvixbuilder/openvix/build-environment/meta-oe-alliance/meta-oe/conf/distro/openvix.conf), teh image will point to the normal openvix feeds url (which will not exist as the box is not built) so you need to change this to point to where ever you store the generated ipk feeds.
I see 2 feed URIs in openvix.conf:

DISTRO_FEED_URI ?=
STATIC_DISTROFEED_URI ?=


So far I have been just building the image only. If the feeds will be stored locally, what is the correct syntax to use? Will I need to remove the current remote URIs before I add my local storage path?

If you are not going to use Hbbtv or Kodi or anything exotic then use the Huevos created attachment - it will significantly reduce run time and feeds. It goes into /meta-local/recipes-local
Probably Huevos or others may have better ways of doing this that can go into site.conf and not need you updating the conf file ..... I have just forgotten those changes.
I don't use Hbbtv or Kodi. I only have a small number of plugins installed on the receiver, from what I can see in its /etc/enigma2/settings:

"config.misc.pluginbrowser.plugin_order=Plugins/Extensions/DLNAServer,Plugins/Extensions/Bitrate,Plugins/Extensions/EPGImport,Plugins/Extensions/Filebrowser,Plugins/Extensions/IMDb,Plugins/Extensions/MediaScanner,Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif,Plugins/Extensions/PicturePlayer,Plugins/Extensions/MediaPlayer,Plugins/Extensions/SHOUTcast,Plugins/Extens
ions/OAWeather"

I attach a list of all my user installed packages on the receiver. Can I build these plugin ipkg files only and not any others, which I don't use or need?
site.conf is in the root - find it and locate the DL_DIR --- this is where all the downloaded files are stored - don't lose it or delete it - will save repeating all the downloads etc.
Looking at the 'oe-alliance-feeds.bbappend.zip' file (thank you Huevos and twol) it removes some reverse dependencies, but this is only for some packages which I don't use anyway. If there is no way to only build the plugins I want installed, how long does it take to build all these ipkg files, compared to the time taken to build the main image.
 

Attachments

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top