Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Uno] can i use an 2tb internal hdd

leonius

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
can anyone tell me if i can use an 2tb internal hdd on my vu+ uno
with it taking effect on peformance of my box
thank you
 
sorry was ment to say can i use one without it having an effect on my box peformance
 
Yes you can. A modern hdd is fine.

never used one myself but you may need to partition it as two for box to se it all but msy be wrong.
 
ok thanks for your help.
i understand that it has to be a sata hdd is this right
thanks
 
Yes thats the only connection in the vu range and ETs.
 
ok thanks for all your speedy advice guys :thumbsup:
 
I use a 2TB with no problems. I didn't format through the menu though, did it through Telnet to save myself 180GB of space on the drive.

Code:
mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda1

You can probably use mkfs.ext4 now, or just use 3 then convert it to 4 through the VIX menu.
 
Formatting via the GUY does have advantages (apart from being Ext4), as other options are being used, making the drive more suitable for large files.
 
Formatting via the GUY does have advantages (apart from being Ext4), as other options are being used, making the drive more suitable for large files.

I didn't know that, but still using 200GB for system use is ridiculous, hence why I did it through telnet to reduce it to 20GB.
 
Linux reserves 5% of a hard disk for root processes (I thought it was 10). So by default on a 2TB HD, you're losing 100GB. The command I gave reduces it to 1%, which gives you an extra 80GB of space :)
 
Linux reserves 5% of a hard disk for root processes (I thought it was 10). So by default on a 2TB HD, you're losing 100GB. The command I gave reduces it to 1%, which gives you an extra 80GB of space :)
Which is of course of no importance at all, and risking other settings not to be optimised for DVR-functionality.

Edit: and you indeed do loose a lot by this. It's not always clever to try to be more clever than clever DVR-firmware designers....
 
Last edited:
Linux reserves 5% of a hard disk for root processes (I thought it was 10). So by default on a 2TB HD, you're losing 100GB. The command I gave reduces it to 1%, which gives you an extra 80GB of space :)

well infact using that command you will

a) loose some largefile optimisations we perform.
b) we already use -m0 using 0%, so in-fact you are loosing even more space by reserving 1% to root

so think you need to leave these thing to us, ;)
 
Just goes to show Google isn't all good lol. I haven't suffered yet afaik but if I do, I'll re-format through the GUI.

Edit: Just remembered I couldn't actually format through the GUI and had to do it through Telnet, which is why I initially did it.
 
Just goes to show Google isn't all good lol.
Google isn't to blame for this; it's you using the Google finds in a wrong way.
Don't forget: although a Linux-STB is in fact a Linux-PC it is of course only running one specific application. And all settings have been optimised for that application.


JEdit: Just remembered I couldn't actually format through the GUI and had to do it through Telnet, which is why I initially did it.
Well, than you should sort out how to use the GUI for initialisation of the disk. Most likely because the disk is in use; so unmount via mountmanager first.
 
Last edited:
Google isn't to blame for this; it's you using the Google finds in a wrong way.
Don't forget: although a Linux-STB is in fact a Linux-PC it is of course only running one specific application. And all settings have been optimised for that application.

English humour

Well, than you should sort out how to use the GUI for initialisation of the disk. Most likely because the disk is in use; so unmount via mountmanager first.

Pretty sure I posted about it, had a few suggestions but none worked so I went and looked myself. So far, taking the initiative has given me nearly a year of a problem free set up. It can't all be bad ;)
 
English humour
LOL, and that for a Dutchie..... :cool:

Pretty sure I posted about it, had a few suggestions but none worked so I went and looked myself. So far, taking the initiative has given me nearly a year of a problem free set up. It can't all be bad ;)
There have been problems in the past. And of course, it's good to show some initiative when things don't work. I'm not blaming you for that.
And probably you won't run into problems directly, or maybe even never. But as Andy explained: you are missing something (you drive, that is :p ).
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top