Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[GiGaBlue QUAD+ PLUS] Change to newer model

leshay

New member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Livingston, Scotland
Hi

My old Gigablue Quad Plus is showing signs of its age. It is now giving constant 'pauses' during playback, and on occasion, causing a perpetual busy symbol requiring a switch off/on.

Anyway, I am looking at either:

Gigablue UHD Quad 4K UHD 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) + SPARE TUNER SLOT

Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) + SPARE TUNER SLOT

VU+ Uno 4K SE 1x DVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) Twin Tuner UHD 4K

all look much the same to me, are there any substantial differences in any of these that would be considered as 'major' in general use? (apart from 2 versus 1 tuner)

At the moment, my Gigablue has 4 separate cables from a Quad LNB into 2 twin tuners. The above models all use FBC version tuners (which I do want as no recording clashes). However, after much reading, I am still unsure of what I actually need to change with regard to dish/LNB/cabling (one cable for each tuner I think?).

If I get a satellite fitter to make the change over, what is the common expression to ask for? Do I ask for a FBC LNB and cable(s) to be fitted? It is a Sky dish, does it need to be changed? I am unsure of the 'lingo' used. Can any of the existing cables be used?

Are there any 'prefered' LNB models/versions etc. Also, what about FBC-C, are these for cable TV? What about Unicable 2 - what's that all about?

All advice greatfully received.
 
At the moment, my Gigablue has 4 separate cables from a Quad LNB into 2 twin tuners. The above models all use FBC version tuners (which I do want as no recording clashes). However, after much reading, I am still unsure of what I actually need to change with regard to dish/LNB/cabling (one cable for each tuner I think?).

If I get a satellite fitter to make the change over, what is the common expression to ask for? Do I ask for a FBC LNB and cable(s) to be fitted? It is a Sky dish, does it need to be changed? I am unsure of the 'lingo' used. Can any of the existing cables be used?

Are there any 'prefered' LNB models/versions etc. Also, what about FBC-C, are these for cable TV? What about Unicable 2 - what's that all about?

All advice greatfully received.

Maybe this thread could answer some of your questions (read all parts)

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable
 
The Gigablues with a PnP Terrestrail tuner would be best option IMO.

Have you read this? https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59981-Guide-to-using-Unicable

Learn about unicable LNB/switches separately. Learn about FBC tuners separately. They are two different technologies, people struggle when they try to do the two together.

If you change the LNB, the Sky dish does not need to be changed. You might need to change the LNB holder. Unicable LNBs are 40mm, Mk 4 sky dishes are 38mm.
 
Hi

Terrestrial is not possible here.

I had read that thread previously, and a re-read today hasn't really clarrified some of my queries.

I read there that a Sky dish, being oval versus round, is not the best option, and here in this thread that it would be OK with a suitable collar.

I have no need for any motorized dish, so my expected setup would be possibly the simplest of any: New round dish, new FCB LNB, a single cable to box (I think that is all I would need)

I assume that the two boxes I mention above (excluding the single tuner box) would have the necessary internal connection - meaning I wouldnt need any splitters?

What sentence would I use when arranging a fitter? Do I just say "I want a new dish and an FCB LNB and use one of the existing cables."Would a fitter understand that correctly?
 
Any of the three receivers you mentioned will be fine. You can use the existing cables. You don't need to use splitters if just having the one receiver.

There is only minor signal loss when using the Sky dish, you can still use the Sky dish. I will delete that line/clarify.

FBC tuners are on receiver, nothing to do with LNB/dish.

The lingo to use is one following:
I need someone to install a Unicable 2 LNB. I am also buying a new non-sky dish with a standard 40mm collar
I need someone to install a Unicable 2 LNB. I am using my old sky dish. I have the adapter to fit the 40mm collar
I need someone to install a Unicable 2 LNB. I am using my old sky dish. You will need to bring the adapter to fit the 40mm collar

Why not try changing the LNB yourself?
 
Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your patient explanation(s).

Yes, I did realize that the FCB related to the tuners, but I was fumbling for the lingo to ask for a suitable LNB for FCB tuners.
Are there any 'prefered' LNB that I should ask for?

Indeed, your example requests do help a lot. I will plan on using example 1

I am 75 years old and my back is troublesome, I would wonder if I could survive a ladder job now :)

EDIT: your last post arrived as I was replying. I see the sponsor products - thanks.
 
Not sure if you saw post 6. I posted a links for the unicable LNB from the sponsor. You only need to use one signal wire to the FBC tuner unit. (Unit has 8 demodulators, but only two physical connections)

The 40mm LNB adapter is about £6 on a famous auction site if you want to use the sky dish.
 
Last edited:
Hi

OK, had a visit from fitter. He is good to fit new LNB onto existing Sky dish however he has no knowledge of any required adapter for the 24SCR Unicable LNB.

I have found one on Amazon that says 'It will fit all LNB's with a 40mm neck.' Question is, does the recommended LNB actually have a 40mm neck? There is no mention of that in the specs on WOS link for the LNB.

Funnilly enough, it wouldn't have mattered what I asked for (re: lingo above) as the fitter really doesn't know much of anything - all he does is fit/fix Sky dishes etc and doesn't even know what the Unicable systems are all about - (like me!)
 
The one I linked to has a 40mm collar. All non-sky LNBs have 40mm collars, it is an industry standard. (The bullet ones have 20mm ones, but they come with adapters . I have not seen any unicable ones).

Before you proceed, what size dish do you have ( zone 1 or zone 2) ? Can you take a picture including a c lose up of LNB.
 
Hi
I can't get a close up as I am unable to get up to the height of the dish. The fitter guy said it was one of the 'newer' type Sky dishes (slightly longer in horiz aspect, and I believe he said it was a zone 2.
Another question: am i right in thinking the 'legacy output' from the LNB would be for the old fashioned tuners such as my existing twin tuners in my Gigablue? If so, then would the tuner(s) from my existing setup be used with a cable from the new LNB 'legacy' output? Indeed, would they fit in the 'spare' slot in the ne Gigablue?
 
OK, a Zone 2 dish is large enough, so no need to change it.

You can use Unicable outputs/LNB on old fashioned tuners, just need to have splitters as required. There is no need for you to use the legacy port, equally there is no harm in using it. It all depends on what your setup and there is more than one way to skin a cat. The connection is just an f-plug, so it will fit.

Can you draw a diagram of your intended setup with your receivers please.
 
Hi
Well, there is nothing to draw. I think the 'new' setup will be: new LNB onto existing Sky dish, one cable into house and feeds one of the 'new' tuners in the 'new' Gigablue box. From earlier questions, I gather that the second tuner in the new Gigablue is internally linked to the first tuner so no splitter required.

The only othe thing is the possiblity of taking one of the old fashioned twin st tuners from my existing box and putting it into the new box and getting the feed from the new LNB legacy port? Bear in mind, that is only a thought on utilizing one more of the existing 4 cables I have already from the old quad LNB, and is NOT really necessry.
 
Okay. You will have 8 independent tuners/demodulators, so no need for extra sat tuner card.

If you do want it, options are:
Use legacy port to old legacy sat card. Configure the legacy tuner with wire as simple, 28.2. The legacy tuner without signal wire would then be configured as internal loop through if drivers allow. Or just leave it as not configured.

The other option is to have a splitter near receiver on cable from unicable port. Two of the splits to both ports of the legacy card.

I don't think you need 10 tuners for 28.2, so all overkill. Make sure chap covers cables properly so water does not get into cables. Connecting one of the cables and drawing cover over it is a good way to make water tight.
 
He is good to fit new LNB onto existing Sky dish however he has no knowledge of any required adapter for the 24SCR Unicable LNB.
Is this guy a real installer? Sounds bogus if he doesn't know something so basic.
 
Hi

As I think about it now, his saying that as he mostly did Sky installations and so didn't know about Unicable was strange as I think that Sky installation these days do actually use a Unicable tye LNB too?

The one thing that I didn't much like was that I contacted what I thought was a local installer business, but it turns out it is a national thing, just sub contracting to individuals like the guy that came to me. The adverts were 'localized' so that they looked like they were local.

I will try some others and check if they are truly a local business.
 
It does not matter whether Unicable or Sky LNB. Process is the same. The process is simple and should be doable by someone comfortable with a ladder who can reach the LNB.

Removal:
Unscrew cables from LNB
Cut the locking plastic off
Shove a screwdriver on sides of LNB holder and prize locking bars
Lift LNB holder from front end

Installation
Place LNB holder under lip
Press LNB holder downwards
Open LNB holder
Place LNB in holder
Rotate to 7 o clock
Connect cabling
Adjust skew for best signal (you will need need to adjust tuner config if using the Unicable port. Not if you use the universal port)
Tighten LNB holder
Make unused cables water tight. (e.g fit barrel, cable tie in upside position)
 
Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top