Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] EPG Save Location

but what about the other stuff people cram on their boxes would that not decrease mb:confused:

well used to the duo with spinning vix lol,lost my solo2 somewhere in house moving stuff;)
 
Don't put epg.dat in the flash. Put it on USB or HDD. EPG data is held in the RAM so it only is read on boot up and shut down.
 
Don't put epg.dat in the flash. Put it on USB or HDD. EPG data is held in the RAM so it only is read on boot up and shut down.
I thought EPG data, regardless of where it was stored (nand flash or HDD/USB), is written to (ie loaded into) memory upon startup and saved back to originating source upon close down.

NAND flash can be written to, and is quicker than, likes of USB/HDD. It's the available space that is most likely problem of storing epg on nand flash.

I would like to think, nowadays, epg data can be written to some modern boxes like solo2 that have large flash and ram memory.

Not sure of specs of TM nano 2 (that @judge is testing it on), but I would have thought they would be similar to, if not exactly same, as that of solo2.
 
Can I ask @Judge how you're getting on with this test of saving EPG to flash?

I'm thinking of doing it myself as I have over 90mb free of my solo2 flash.

I only tried it for about 3 weeks & had absolutely no issues.
If you have a HDD or USB attached, I'd use them first. Still no idea how well writing to flash daily would work long term.
 
I thought EPG data, regardless of where it was stored (nand flash or HDD/USB), is written to (ie loaded into) memory upon startup and saved back to originating source upon close down.
Well, my epg.dat file, which is on USB, is modified when the box starts up, as well. (At leats it is according to the file-system timestamp).

NAND flash can be written to, and is quicker than, likes of USB/HDD.
No - it's actually much slower than HDD, and probably slower than USB (depending on what you have at the other end of the USB bus).

See http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44685-swapfile-not-activating&p=348069#post348069 for a very basic speed test result.

It's the available space that is most likely problem of storing epg on nand flash.
If the task involved a lot of/continuous writing (not applicable here) then there is also the issue of wearing out the non-replaceable NVRAM. A USB stick is cheap.
 
Good point, I never thought of that. It could potentially wear the nand flash sooner due to constant read/write and if I remember correctly nand doesn't support ramdom access as such.

I will stick with other forms for storing epg data.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top