Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Solo2] Every day the box locks up...

No - in home/root/logs there's just that one which was when the box locked up, apparently.

How do I ensure that a "crash" log is generated when the box locks up?
A crash log will only be generated when Enigma crashes (black screen on telly saying so). A 'lock up' is not a crash, but the debug log can show related info (doesn't always help though).


Edit: I now see that Birdman already said the same :)
 
Last edited:
A crash log will only be generated when Enigma crashes (black screen on telly saying so). A 'lock up' is not a crash, but the debug log can show related info (doesn't always help though).


Edit: I now see that Birdman already said the same :)

I'm going to go back to basics and do a factory reset, re-initialise the HDD and flash 026 via USB. I need to ftp all the recordings first... should take a few hours!
 
I'm going to go back to basics and do a factory reset, re-initialise the HDD and flash 026 via USB. I need to ftp all the recordings first... should take a few hours!

STOP! Why would you want to re-initialise the HDD? If you think you have a mounts issue, just re-mount the HDD, don't format it! I guess that you are thinking PC-wise, not E2 receiver-wise! The HDD is just a storage device and does not contain the 'image', other than any backups that you create or are created during an update.

If you were to change the HDD, then perhaps you would want to FTP all of your recordings from it to your PC or another storage device, or perhaps to another E2 box on your network.

Otherwise, I don't understand why you would want to re-initialise your HDD!
 
You still haven't defined "locks up".
You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??
 
You still haven't defined "locks up".

As per the OP, without any warning the box stops responding to the Remote, and the VIX spinner appears in the top left corner of the screen for eternity. Whatever you're watching at the time continues to display correctly.

If the "lock up/freeze" occurred before a timer recording (as it did over the weekend while I was away) then nothing records.

Thanks for the info on not needing to reformat the HDD. Point taken. On that note:

Assuming I'm going to clean flash from USB, should I do a Factory reset first? Or just flash? Will the recordings remain intact (in HDD/Movies)? I'll back them up anyway via ftp just in case...

I'm looking to get the box to a state of reliability as I'm getting increasing levels of mental torture from my family... so any guidance on that would be welcome. I convinced them that this was going to be better than the Humax HDR1000S we have that became a rebooting ornament despite various factory resets and patches that Humax and Freesat sent me.
 
Last edited:
A flash deletes all that is in flash, so no factory reset is required. Storage media (internal HDD, USB) will not be touched, as long as you don't touch them yourself.
 
Instability is most of the time due to plugins. Best is not to install any in this case (apart from settings & softcam).
 
Instability is most of the time due to plugins. Best is not to install any in this case (apart from settings & softcam).

As far as I recall, I haven't installed any Plugins - not even a skin.

The only thing I seemed to struggle with was the interrelationship between EPG and CrossEPG. As in is it necessary to configure/use both or are they mutually exclusive... I used the guide but I think it's a little outdated.

Softcam is not on my radar at all. I have no idea what benefit that would provide to us.
 
Cross-EPG reads the data from the providers transponder. Configure it once and forget about it. Also set EPG-location to HDD.
Other EPG only reflect the way the obtained EPG data will show on your TV.

If no other plugins are installed, it will be difficult to find the cause of your issue. In that case I would suggest you to flash without restoring the settings (so a brand new box will be the result).
 
You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??
"sync" maybe, or is it part of the reboot process?
 
You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??

"sync" maybe, or is it part of the reboot process?

Yes, an 'init 4' should bring down E2 in a controlled way, meaning all files will be properly closed and saved.
BUT: as E2 is quite busy (after ll there is a 'lock up'). this may take some time. Allow this to finish and all should be fine.
Doing a power-cycle (On/Off-switch) is the worst possible way, and can even damage an HDD.
 
Cross-EPG reads the data from the providers transponder. Configure it once and forget about it. Also set EPG-location to HDD.
Other EPG only reflect the way the obtained EPG data will show on your TV.

If no other plugins are installed, it will be difficult to find the cause of your issue. In that case I would suggest you to flash without restoring the settings (so a brand new box will be the result).

OK - the only other thing I can think of that I do is to use Dreamboxedit to remove the dross we would never wish to watch. I know this can be done using ABM...

I'll try the clean flash - I never restore settings anyway, so it should be a clean slate.
 
You've mentioned doing a telnet reboot rather than a mains switch off when the box locks up, which is clearly a much better option.
Would this also ensure that the last block of the debug log is written to the hd, or is there another command to do a force write??
It would. The shutdown process syncs all filesystems.

(And enigma2 logs are written via stderr, so the process shouldn't be buffering them).
 
As per the OP, without any warning the box stops responding to the Remote, and the VIX spinner appears in the top left corner of the screen for eternity. Whatever you're watching at the time continues to display correctly
The channel viewing is done in hardware, which is why it continues.

It's the Vix spinner that is odd. This gets reported to the logs when it happens, but there is no such report.
 
Hello gents,

I was on 4.1016 which was working a treat, Ive just installed latest version (.26) i'm having issue's with Kodi/Sportsmania plugin, is the short answer put up with it until it works or roll back to older version?

Thanks
 
OK - Flashed .026 via USB and set the box up (not many changes to settings). Not done the DreamboxEdit stuff yet. The ONLY plugin I've used is the first Picon one in the downloadables. Seems to work, who knows where that comes from...

I've enabled logging.

Set up the autotimers again and that's it. Let's see.
 
Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top