Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] FTP problems with ViX 3.0

Larry-G

V.I.P ,
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
32,540
Reaction score
405
Points
0
Age
48
For those of you suffering FTP login problems with the ViX 3.0 image this is because you yet again did not follow our advice ie.


All Users - A full flash is required
You can not use backup restore or online update from 2.4 with this image
In this image the core has been extensively rewritten by Andy in conjunction with the OE Alliance.
You are advised to take a
full image backup before flashing.

​

now by using a backup from a earlier ViX image on the new 3.0 ViX image you have broken certain core parts of the image including the FTP protocol. The only way to fix this is to flash the receiver again with ViX 3.0 and setup from scratch DO NOT RESTORE ANY SETTINGS FROM A EARLIER IMAGE.
 
And going by the amount of questions around this problem, we probably should have used a bigger font for this warning :eek:
 
And going by the amount of questions around this problem, we probably should have used a bigger font for this warning :eek:

Hahaha, I get sick of people who don't read this stuff and those who don't disable overscan or search re OSD. But thats just me, you guys must really get sick of it!
 
..... you guys must really get sick of it!
Well, your words.

But tbh: it does give a slight nauseous feeling somewhere in my body :rolleyes:

Apparently it is easier and/or faster to post every problem, than to do a forum search :confused:
Even if the subject has passed dozens of times in a couple of days .........
 
Apparently it is easier and/or faster to post every problem, than to do a forum search :confused:
Even if the subject has passed dozens of times in a couple of days .........
Yes. It's amazing so many people learn to write before they can read. :eek:

Joking aside: You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble (and forum bandwidth :) ) by checking the version number in the backup files(s) before allowing a restore.
 
Would it be possible / easier if we had a wiki on the go where common issues / problems are posted with solutions?

Also some video tutorials from the experts would be a nice addition. I know it takes time, however sometimes I think that would make life easier.

I bet a video showing flashing an image, uploading previous settings etc would be really popular and answer loads of questions.

Just like installing picicons, setting up dyndns, AirPlay, Webif and EPG (rytec etc.) would all seem popular topics.

Only am idea though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I flashed a clean image, managed to FTP CCam plugin and used DBedit to transfer my bouqets over, ever since that initial setup Filezilla refuses to play ball though. I did not restore any settings from older images, it was a completely clean install. Any suggestions?
 
Would it be possible / easier if we had a wiki on the go where common issues / problems are posted with solutions?

Also some video tutorials from the experts would be a nice addition. I know it takes time, however sometimes I think that would make life easier.

Thats kind of what the forum is for to be honest. we have discussed a wiki in the past for tutorials etc but it's the time to set up etc that we just dont have.


I flashed a clean image, managed to FTP CCam plugin and used DBedit to transfer my bouqets over, ever since that initial setup Filezilla refuses to play ball though. I did not restore any settings from older images, it was a completely clean install. Any suggestions?


what exact error is filezilla giving you and have you checked to make sure that your IP has not changed etc ?.
 
I have a static IP set on the duo and so in the past have just used reconnect. Basically, when trying to connect, it comes up at the top [email protected] (the static IP) briefly, and then goes back to Filezilla, like the connection has been refused? I'll try a non-static IP now to rule that out.

Update - same problem with DHCP enabled.

Update 2 - just read the log, password error it looks like but I've not changed anything or set one, will keep trying things and update if I fix it:

Code:
Status:	Connecting to 192.168.1.120:21...
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 Welcome to the openvix FTP service!
Command:	USER root
Response:	331 Please specify the password.
Command:	PASS 
Response:	530 Login incorrect.
Error:	Critical error
Error:	Could not connect to server
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try to set a password via a Telnet session then try again with the new password.
 
Telnet same thing, get login incorrect when trying to login! Bizarre. Are there any other usernames I can try before reflashing?!
 
no we never set login details on the images the default are always

USER NAME: root
PASSWORD: left blank.

as a last resort you could try the password changing app from the feeds ( if it's still there, not sure though as i have not looked for a while ).
 
Got the password changing app but without ftp/telnet no way to install it! Ho hum... I'll reflash and see if I can pick out where I went wrong.
 
is it no longer in the feeds ? as that would bypass the need for FTP / Telnet access.
to be honest i'm not sure if it was removed from the feeds for no longer working with the image but it's worth a try before re-flashing.
 
is it no longer in the feeds ? as that would bypass the need for FTP / Telnet access.
to be honest i'm not sure if it was removed from the feeds for no longer working with the image but it's worth a try before re-flashing.
The plugin 'setpassword' has been removed, as it is not compatinle with ViX 3.0. There is a 'change password'(or so) on the feeds, but tbh I never tried it, so I'm not sure it works.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top