Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] GUI crash trying to list timers when "No Free Tuner" obtains.

birdman

Moderator
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
8,598
Reaction score
118
Points
63
Location
Hitchin, UK
I've just had a crash when trying to list the Timers, as when I switched the TV back to the box it was saying "No Free Tuners", so I wanted to see what was recording.

The crash log info is this:
Code:
action ->  InfobarSubserviceSelectionActions GreenPressed
[Skin] SKIN ERROR in TimerEditList: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'toString'
warning, skin is missing element key_yellow in <class 'Screens.TimerEdit.TimerEditList'>
warning, skin is missing element description in <class 'Screens.TimerEdit.TimerEditList'>
warning, skin is missing element key_blue in <class 'Screens.TimerEdit.TimerEditList'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 48, in action
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py", line 3160, in GreenPressed
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBarGenerics.py", line 3273, in openTimerList
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 313, in open
    dlg = self.current_dialog = self.instantiateDialog(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 251, in instantiateDialog
    return self.doInstantiateDialog(screen, arguments, kwargs, self.desktop)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 280, in doInstantiateDialog
    dlg.applySkin()
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/GUISkin.py", line 112, in applySkin
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/GUISkin.py", line 30, in createGUIScreen
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/TimerList.py", line 138, in applySkin
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
(PyObject_CallObject(<bound method HelpableActionMap.action of <Components.ActionMap.HelpableActionMap instance at 0x20679e0>>,('InfobarSubserviceSelectionActions', 'GreenPressed')) failed)

I'm not sure what is going on here (and can't test anything at the moment as recordings are still running).
I assume the issue is that the self.skinAttributes in TimerList.py:138 doesn't exist, so will need to check for that somehow first...
 
FIX: updated code attached

I have a fix.
It prevents the GUI crash - so your recordings continue unbroken!

It doesn't enable you to actually see the Timers - but in this state the EPG button doesn't let you see the EPG either (it's all blank). The TV button does show channels and let you switch to a usable one, though, so you can sort things out yourself.

The fix is to check that an item exists before iterating on it - the patch looks longer only because the next block of code needs to be indented further as a result.

View attachment TimerList.py.zip

This is a patch to TimerList.py in lib/python/Components/ in the enigma2 package.
 
Tested and cannot provoke this crash. Please can you give more details (box type, etc) and post the complete crash log.
 
I just did a quick test and I too was unable to re-create a crash. Solo2, build 153 (with no restore of settings). I recorded (using timer) two separate programmes and got warning message about recording two things but it let me still view channels on same transponder and no crash when I went into either timer or autotimer.

I shall repeat test with future autotimer and post back (just in case) but I can't see that being any different.
 
Too late to add to my last post.

Having set future autotimers and putting box into standby, I still was unable to re-create this.
 
Tested and cannot provoke this crash. Please can you give more details (box type, etc) and post the complete crash log.
Box type etc. is in my signature.
Crash log is View attachment enigma2_crash_1425856513.log.

The skin I'm using is ViX-Night-HD, slightly edited to increase the font size on some non-configurable event displays.

I was able to reproduce it, which is how I know the patch worked. I put the edited code in place, hit the Green button, the GUI crashed, and so re-built the new source as it came back up. Hitting Green then didn't crash the GUI. Last night it did crash the GUI each time.
 
Last edited:
Too late to add to my last post.

Having set future autotimers and putting box into standby, I still was unable to re-create this.
Not sure what future auto-timers has to do with anything. The issue is when about when you already have recordings running such that there are no free tuners for the channel you happen to be "looking at" (which probably means that you have to manually select such a one).
If you aren't looking at a a "No Free Tuners" message on screen then you aren't in the relevant state to test it.
 
Not sure what future auto-timers has to do with anything. The issue is when about when you already have recordings running such that there are no free tuners for the channel you happen to be "looking at" (which probably means that you have to manually select such a one).
If you aren't looking at a a "No Free Tuners" message on screen then you aren't in the relevant state to test it.
I got the "No Free Tuners" message when I manually set two channels to record and couldn't re-create it as I mentioned. I only did autotimer incase that was reason even though I couldn't see how (which I did mention that) but I did it just in case, however remotely, that was underlying reason.
 
I got the "No Free Tuners" message when I manually set two channels to record and couldn't re-create it as I mentioned.
It may be specific to certain skins, then. I'm using Vix-Night-HD.
 
It may be specific to certain skins, then. I'm using Vix-Night-HD.

Or it may be as a result of the changes you made to the skin on your own receiver, if no one else is able to replicate the crash on a clean image with the default skin.
 
It may be specific to certain skins, then. I'm using Vix-Night-HD.
Tried that skin, no problem. It warned about having to switch over to a channel i'm recording (something like that) and only allowed me to scroll through certain channels (ie those on same transponder I assume).

This is normal behaviour I assume.

Or it may be as a result of the changes you made to the skin on your own receiver, if no one else is able to replicate the crash on a clean image with the default skin.
Yes, mine was a clean image. Only changes I've made are to G-EPG and BlueHD skin testing @Matt007 G-EPG changes. Even with this code change on bluehd, I can't replicate this problem.
 
Last edited:
Tried that skin, no problem. It warned about having to switch over to a channel i'm recording (something like that) and only allowed me to scroll through certain channels (ie those on same transponder I assume).
OK. Now select, by number, a channel which is blocked. You will get to it, but have no picture. Just the warning of "No Free Tuner". Now press Green for Timers.
It's possible that I originally got to the no-picture-to-view state by two recordings starting up while it was in Standby, and then waking it up when it's last channel was not viewable.
 
Or it may be as a result of the changes you made to the skin on your own receiver, if no one else is able to replicate the crash on a clean image with the default skin.
All I changed was the size of a few fonts (and a global replace of some file pathnames, as I took a copy of all files involved),.
 
Can't reproduce this issue either.
2 recordings going on a Solo2, switch to an unavailable/greyed out channel, press green for timers & the timers screen shows as expected.
Build 153 & Vix-Night-HD skin.
 
All I changed was the size of a few fonts (and a global replace of some file pathnames, as I took a copy of all files involved),.

Try restoring the skin back to it's default state and see if you can still force it to crash, that way you will know for certain if it is the changes you made to the skin or not.
 
Just to confirm that the crash happens reproducibly with standard Enigma2 code

Just to confirm that this is reproducible. I have just:

  • re-installed the standard TimerList.py from build 153
  • switched the skin back to ViX-Night-HD (standard)
  • restarted the GUI (to enable the first two parts)
  • started to record the programme on BBC1 (SD)
  • started to record the programme on C4 (SD) - this used the second tuner (I have two)
  • pressed 101<enter> on the keypad to go to BBC1 (HD). With no free tuner this left me with a blank screen (plus the "No Free Tuner" message).
  • pressed the Green button
  • watched as the GUI crashed, counted down for 10s and restarted.
The crash log that resulted is attached View attachment enigma2_crash_1425949417.log.
 
Just to confirm that this is reproducible. I have just:

  • re-installed the standard TimerList.py from build 153
  • switched the skin back to ViX-Night-HD (standard)
  • restarted the GUI (to enable the first two parts)
  • started to record the programme on BBC1 (SD)
  • started to record the programme on C4 (SD) - this used the second tuner (I have two)
  • pressed 101<enter> on the keypad to go to BBC1 (HD). With no free tuner this left me with a blank screen (plus the "No Free Tuner" message).
  • pressed the Green button
  • watched as the GUI crashed, counted down for 10s and restarted.
The crash log that resulted is attached View attachment 41083.

Are we talking about terrestrial tuners here or satellite ?. It does make a difference and may help others to reproduce your results.
 
Are we talking about terrestrial tuners here or satellite ?. It does make a difference and may help others to reproduce your results.
Terrestrial - as in my sig:

MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 [terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/1.5TB HDD

Difficult to see how the type of tuner could affect the contents of the skin description structures in python, though, and that is where the issue is (looks like that with a blank screen, you don't have any...)
 
Terrestrial - as in my sig:
Sig doesn't show depending on how viewed, so please don't presume all details are available to anyone trying to help you.
Best to include all details in your original bug report.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top