Thanks for the various snippets of advice in this topic, including from pooface.
However I'm still unclear on exactly how best to use the EPG options in the ViX image, or any other image for that matter. It may be well intentioned, but brief advice such as 'try this or that and see what works for you' doesn't really help create a good understanding.
Could somebody who thoroughly understands the Vu+ Duo and ViX EPG Plugin options (plus the EPG settings in Customise) please take an hour or so to write a detailed guide? I know it would be of great use to many of us, not just myself. It would probably clear up many misunderstandings and confusions.
Can I suggest any guide should cover :
1) What each specific EPG setting or Plugin setting does and why we might want to use it.
2) Why we might choose one option over another seemingly similar one.
3) Some detail on broadcaster supplied EPG sources such as EIT and OpenTV including when they do or don't populate the Infobar and/or EPG.
4) How the downloadable non-OpenTV sources in plugins relate to language V bouquet/package.
5) How any or all sources merge happily into a meaningful epg.dat
That may appear to be too much work, so, seeing as this is an English language forum, it might be better to give an accurate tutorial on how best to achieve an English EPG. ie without including non-English data which is of little use to English speakers. (However, if programme titles tend to be in English in some non-English EPG sources, then they should probably be included, if the alternative is having nothing at all for those channels.)
If it helps to offer a specific set up for such a tutorial, I for example have access to most packages on Astra 19.2 East, Astra 28.2 East, Hotbird 13.0 East and Hispasat 30.0 West.
I hope one or more EPG and image experts can help us all here. I really think the EPG functions are the most puzzling in the receiver, but don't have to be.
Thanks a lot.
Lee
UK