Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

How do I acces a file on my enigma2 box?

fltk

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
68
Reaction score
4
Points
8
I need to edit a file stored in /etc/enigma2/settings. How excactly do I acces this location from my PC?
 
Other programs like FileZilla, WinSCP.

Most of the values of that file are held in RAM and written on graceful shutdown/restart. So make sure you stop Enigma2 before you start editing. I use Putty. You can use any terminal client, including the one on openwebif. Issue following command to stop e2

init 4

And following to restart

Init 3
 
Don't forget that a password is required to access your receiver when using any FTP program like FileZilla or WinSCP or whatever.
 
How do I find password and root?
I think I used it some 5 or 6 years ago, but have forgotten.
 
set a password in the image
 
Try putty telnet connection. Login root and maybe password
If no password set then enter "passwd" in telnet session and enter new password (2x).

I prefer filezilla to connect to box and change/modify files/folders
 
How do I find password and root?
I think I used it some 5 or 6 years ago, but have forgotten.
You can use the telnet approach as described or have a look at the network menu in the gui. There is an option to set the password there or in some related menu. I don't have access to a box at the moment.
 
Which image have you got on the receiver? Check by going into Menu > Information > About

There is no password by default. A password ( one you make yourself) for FTP was made mandatory from roughly 2020. Prior to this, there was no requirement.
See this thread if it helps: https://world-of-satellite.com/threads/ftp-password-now-required.62552/

Like Twol, I prefer Filezilla. Using DCC has compatibility issues with Windows. There is a rough guide on this post (Ignore the picon diectory, methodology is the same):
https://world-of-satellite.com/threads/picons-how-to-add-picons-to-your-receiver.53119/#post-415497
 
Last edited:
I set a password on the receiver. Used Putty to init 4, edited the file with Filezilla and later used Putty to init 3. Problem solved.
 
Other programs like FileZilla, WinSCP.

Most of the values of that file are held in RAM and written on graceful shutdown/restart. So make sure you stop Enigma2 before you start editing. I use Putty. You can use any terminal client, including the one on openwebif. Issue following command to stop e2

init 4

And following to restart

Init 3
In openwebif, when you type init 4, you stopped enigma2 and also stopped the openwebif you were working in. Not the best of ideas. Would be nice if openwebif could stay alive, but you are very limited with that particular terminal to the point of it being almost useless for most of the tasks that I would do.
 
Very good point. I will bear that mind next time. I use Putty. I am sure OP would switch box off at mains and then back on.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top