Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Solo2] How to always mount usb ntfs drive to the same mountpoint

asktrevis

New member
Joined
Oct 3, 2014
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hello, may one help me?

I used the search function in this forum, but did not find any relevant help.

I am unable to mount my three ntfs usb external drives to the same mountpoint like /media/usbmusic , /media/backup ...

I think udev can help here ? but I am not sure how to do it. I have seen a volatile-media.sh using the term fuse. What is this?

I tried some lines in /etc/udev/rules..., but I am not sure if udev is installed...

Maybe someone can point me to a working approach? Thanks in advance
 
At a guess all mounts might need to be named differently and mounted separately to be seen as different ones so as not getting confused from where it is getting its info from.
Presume samba is in use on box?
 
I have ntfs drivers installed and samba is also running.
Mounting a drive which is physically connected to the box is nothing to do with Samba.

What are you actually doing to try to mount the drives? It should be possible via the menus - you don't need to do anything with udev rules.

Do the devices show up in Setup -> Vix -> Mount manager?
 
My Problem is that the one drive that is plugged in first often seem to be mounted as /media/usb other as /media/sdc1 etc. I want to get always the same mountpoint. When I try to access the drives via Kodi I dont wwant to search first the correct mount point... Mount Manager did not help me here...
 
Are all drives plugged in at the same time or are you only plugging them in when needed?
 
My Problem is that the one drive that is plugged in first often seem to be mounted as /media/usb other as /media/sdc1 etc.
So you have to go in to the Mount manager and say where you want each one to be mounted (but don't specify any of them as /media/sdc1, etc. ...). Use the Setup mounts option.
When you do that the /etc/fstab file will gain a line for each one saying where to mount it using the UUID for the device.
 
Last edited:
Hello, I've done the suggested actions. It's not working fully.

I've three harddisks mounted to hdd2,3 and sdb1 (why is not hdd4 possible?)

My fstab looks like this
UUID=1111111111111111 /media/hdd2 ntfs defaults 0 0
UUID=2222222222222222 /media/hdd3 ntfs defaults 0 0
UUID=3333333333333333 /media/sdb1 ntfs defaults 0 0

When I plug in hdd2 it is working , then hdd3 for example not. It's mounted to usb. Then I am doing the procedure Vix-Configuration-Mount Manager again ...
This fixes it for this moment. But this procedure is deleting the third drive (which is not connected in this moment). Also the literal ntfs is changed to ntfs-3g


UUID=1111111111111111 /media/hdd2 ntfs defaults 0 0
UUID=2222222222222222 /media/hdd3 ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

It seems to be a little buggy

Any idea?
I appreciate your efforts in helping me.
 
When I plug in hdd2 it is working , then hdd3 for example not. It's mounted to usb.
Are these disks permanently plugged into the box or are you plugging them in (or switching them on, if externally powered) once the box is running?
 
The harddrives are plugged in randomly when I want to access some data (music, kids-movies etc)
 
Daft question I suppose, but do you put the box into deep standby before connecting the usb drives, and do you unmount or put the box into deep standby before removing them?
 
The harddrives are plugged in randomly when I want to access some data (music, kids-movies etc)
OK. That's a different issue.
Are you expecting them to automatically mount as you plug them in?
Do you expect to just be able to unplug them at will (which you can't...).
 
Be warned no plugging/unplugging of cables or usb devices while powered on as blown ports due to a surge can blow things.
 
I am expecting them to automatically mount to a fixed mountpoint. Removal is no issue. I am shutting down each day and unplug the added harddrives then.
Thanks.
 
Thinking once removed they wont automatically get set up again?,Awaiting further updates by the main men .
 
I thought the USB spec allowed for hot-plugging?
As far as I can tell, usb devices are hot-pluggable, the only possible danger in not unmounting/ejecting them before removal.
 
As far as I can tell, usb devices are hot-pluggable, the only possible danger in not unmounting/ejecting them before removal.
Which isn't a danger for the device (or the host) but rather a danger for any file-system which is on the device and mounted at the time.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top