Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

IMDb broken (again)

Neither is perfect TBH but I just did a test and TMDB does have a score out of 10 like @spanner123 says. This is only for users who have an account on TMDB which I suspect, at this point in time, is much lower than the user base of IMDB and will always remain so. Shame IMDB doesn't have an API that is free to use. If you somehow combined the two then the issue of the IMDB falling apart every few months would remain I guess.

Where it excels in comparison to IMDB is the Cast info and also the seasons info.

As an example I took a recent drama on C5 called "Murder Before Evensong" which is a new show (1 season) and these were the reviews on the various sites:

TMDB 76% (7.6/10) based on 5 user ratings
Rotten Tomatoes Avg. Tomatometer 89% Based on Critic 9 ratings
IMDB 7/10 Based on 697 ratings

The IMDB rating (based on number of reviews) cleary has a major advanatage for the ratings piece.
For both RT and TMDB it could just be one or two super weirdo fans of a given show skewing the rating massively

For a much older and more established show (e.g. one on the list of all time great shows in its genre and no longer being produced but repeated on channels like Dave, Sky Arts, That's TV etc.) the picture is much the same. Take the 70's classic - Fawlty Towers for example:

TMDB 83% (7.6/10) based on 753 user ratings
Rotten Tomatoes Avg. Tomatometer 100% Based on Critic 14 ratings
IMDB 8.8/10 Based on 107000 ratings

If you don't care about reviews of others then TMDB may be a good choice for some (stability wise) but if you care about how popular a show is and the opinions of many many like minded people then IMDB wins hands down. I see that now.

I am guessing that Adoxa on Github has a hell of a lot of maintenance on the IMDB plugin to keep it working as I now appreciate how the IMDB py code has to work (screen scraper) and I am guessing that IMDB (aka Amazon) keep changing the webpage - Barstewards that they are! Keep up the good work Adoxa (Jason).

Just my "4 cents" as they say.

Paul

I find the score is somewhat meaningless as an indication to a film being worth watching. Even on the IMDB data base one user may rate a film as 10 and another as 1. This indicates a good film for one person is not necessarily a good film for all. Its the extended description and actual reviews that I find more helpful in deciding if a film is worth watching. Usually I will record a film that I may find OK but after watching the first 10/15 minutes I quite often delete it as not too good or it doesn't appeal to me.
 
does anyone knows the files that I need to upload on older image to get IMDB back ? My second box (VU DUO2 slave mode) needs to stay on 6.7 due to problem that he always takes channellist from main box (4K box) .Problem opent a topic but no conclusive response.
 
Agreed. I use both now this forced me to know about TMDB. TMDB for the Seasons info and cast and IMDB for the rest and my own eyes on the "content" for whether I watch it.
 
Until the next image update updates the plugin, the attached file should be unzipped and replace the existing one in location below. This file is for Vix 6.9 or any other images using python 3.14.6. i.e built on OE-A branch 6.0

/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/IMDb
 

Attachments

Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top