Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[SF8008] Losing external HD

JACKRUSSNORTH

New member
Joined
May 25, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi I am new to Openvix and recently got a SF8008 and with external hard drive from World Of Satellite that need some help with of possible please. It all works perfectly until I have a power cut or turn box off at wall then I lose the hard drive. After this I can still see hard drive in storage and I can initialize and it works but I lose all recordings. I have tried to mount the hard drive via Vix/Mountmanager and that shows USB: Size:
unavailable, if I then press unmount I get cannot unmount partition 'none' and if I try to mount I then get Mount failed /dev/sd1 unavailable. I have also tried to alter the setup mounts and it then reboots but comes back to the same setting.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
 
Hi I am new to Openvix and recently got a SF8008 and with external hard drive from World Of Satellite that need some help with of possible please. It all works perfectly until I have a power cut or turn box off at wall then I lose the hard drive. After this I can still see hard drive in storage and I can initialize and it works but I lose all recordings. I have tried to mount the hard drive via Vix/Mountmanager and that shows USB: Size:
unavailable, if I then press unmount I get cannot unmount partition 'none' and if I try to mount I then get Mount failed /dev/sd1 unavailable. I have also tried to alter the setup mounts and it then reboots but comes back to the same setting.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Does it have its own power supply, because usb connection is probably not sufficient.
 
No it came with the box from World of Satellite and just plugs directly in with one cable and no lead for external power supply. Thanks
 
Do you put the box into deep standby before switching off at the mains?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
 
Most boxes are only put into standby and not powered off at rear or wall outlet.
 
No it came with the box from World of Satellite and just plugs directly in with one cable and no lead for external power supply. Thanks

Plugs in where - usb? … and is it ssd or disks?
 
Last edited:
No it came with the box from World of Satellite and just plugs directly in with one cable and no lead for external power supply. Thanks
WOS only appear to sell one usb drive, and it's powered by usb, not an external power supply.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
 
Most boxes are only put into standby and not powered off at rear or wall outlet.
I always leave both my boxes in deep standby when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
 
If you want to switch the box off at the wall then put the box in DEEP STANDBY first - then you shouldnt have any problems. An Enigma2 receiver is like a PC - it must be shut down correctly.
 
If you want to switch the box off at the wall then put the box in DEEP STANDBY first - then you shouldnt have any problems. An Enigma2 receiver is like a PC - it must be shut down correctly.

Plus in deep standby the power consumption is only around 0.5W (approx £1.30 per year with current prices). The box can wake up from deep standby for recording and go back to deep standby afterwards. My box is seldom switched off at the mains and runs powered up (deep standby when not in use) for months on end.
 
Hi I am new to Openvix and recently got a SF8008 and with external hard drive from World Of Satellite that need some help with of possible please. It all works perfectly until I have a power cut or turn box off at wall then I lose the hard drive. After this I can still see hard drive in storage and I can initialize and it works but I lose all recordings. I have tried to mount the hard drive via Vix/Mountmanager and that shows USB: Size:
unavailable, if I then press unmount I get cannot unmount partition 'none' and if I try to mount I then get Mount failed /dev/sd1 unavailable. I have also tried to alter the setup mounts and it then reboots but comes back to the same setting.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Its usually recommended that external disks are externally powered as the usb port may only supply a marginal power. More power is often required to start up the disk than when it is running normally.

When this happens again try holding down the power button on your remote and from the menu that appears select the GUI restart or the restart function. Then see is the disk has been recognised/mounted. Doing this may mean that the disk being tardy starting up when power was first applied has a second chance when the usb power has not been removed (or only for a very short time) during the restart.
 
The sf8008 is perfectly capable of powering a 2.5" portable hard drive from the rear usb 2.0 socket. The OP's problem seems to occur when the box loses power or it is powered off at the mains. The drive seems to be getting corrupted which is pretty natural especially if it is in use (timeshift etc) when this happens. If the power cuts out regularly a UPS would be a wise investment.
 
Hi,

Hoping it can help: switch the BOX off - unplug the external drive - switch the box ON - wait till started completely - connect the USB-drive again and check.

Reasoning:
I have 3 external HDD-drives at the 3 USB-ports of my Ultimo4K (2 powered and 1 not) and when my box hangs (like now, see my IMDb thread I just posted) and I need to restart it with the ON/OFF button, I HAVE TO first unplug the external drives and only then will it correctly start and once started, I can connect the drives again.

My suspicion is that the Ultimo4K / VIX / Enigma2 expect a USB-flash file, so if that is not found, my box stops.
Maybe the SF8008 also expects something like that, is able to skip over, but does not correctly start-up the connection with the USB-drive.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top