Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

New Member - Octagon SF8008 Supreme Installed Any recommendations?

Alfie

New member
Joined
Jun 28, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Afternoon all,

I’m brand new here. After doing a good bit of research, I’ve replaced Sky Q with the Octagon SF8008 S. Spent this afternoon setting it all up while watching a bit of Glasto, after swapping out the LNB arm this morning.

I’ve got it sorted now — skin, channel lists, regional settings, and recording all working well. It’ll probably take the family a bit of time to get used to it, but so far it’s working great.

Just posting to the forum to see if anyone has any recommendations, tips, or things to watch out for. I did run into quite a few crashes with the latest OpenViX image, especially when running AutoBouquets. Rolling back to Image 6.6 completely sorted those crashes.

Appreciate any advice thank you.
 
Afternoon all,

I’m brand new here. After doing a good bit of research, I’ve replaced Sky Q with the Octagon SF8008 S. Spent this afternoon setting it all up while watching a bit of Glasto, after swapping out the LNB arm this morning.

I’ve got it sorted now — skin, channel lists, regional settings, and recording all working well. It’ll probably take the family a bit of time to get used to it, but so far it’s working great.

Just posting to the forum to see if anyone has any recommendations, tips, or things to watch out for. I did run into quite a few crashes with the latest OpenViX image, especially when running AutoBouquets. Rolling back to Image 6.6 completely sorted those crashes.

Appreciate any advice thank you.

The web interface can be useful. Type the IP address of the box into the address bar of your internet browser on your PC/Laptop.

If using the grid EPG I find it helps to have, say, 30 minutes of epg history showing.
menu/setup/epg/epg settings/maintain old EPG data for = 30 minutes

I'm not sure why you should have had a problem with 6.7.012 and autobouquet maker. Version 6.6 is quite old now.
Did the Octagon come with V6.6 installed if so how did you upgrade to 6.7.0xxx?
 
The box came with the latest image, but I was getting multiple crashes. I tried turning off Picons, auto updates, and NIT scans, but it still kept crashing after each run. Even when I disabled everything, it would just time out instead. Reverting to Image 6.6 helped and since then it’s been working with no issues.

That said, I’m new to all this, so it’s probably something I was doing wrong. It’s all running well now.

Just to check — if I decide to try the latest image again, am I right in thinking I can back up my current setup and config so I don’t lose everything if it goes wrong?
 
If you have experienced crashes can you upload the crash logs please. If you haven't set a location they should be in /home/root.
 
The box came with the latest image, but I was getting multiple crashes. I tried turning off Picons, auto updates, and NIT scans, but it still kept crashing after each run. Even when I disabled everything, it would just time out instead. Reverting to Image 6.6 helped and since then it’s been working with no issues.

That said, I’m new to all this, so it’s probably something I was doing wrong. It’s all running well now.

Just to check — if I decide to try the latest image again, am I right in thinking I can back up my current setup and config so I don’t lose everything if it goes wrong?
You have multiboot on this box, so multiple slot images, and I am guessing that your image is installed in slot 1.
So 1st…..menu/setup/system/logs …settings——> enable, save other than flash, local time…..save and restart.
Blue button ViX…..backupmanager, menu button select hdd for settings backup.
Blue button, ViX ….ImageManager….menu button choose hdd for saving images
Download latest openViX(yellow button) …blue button flash image….choose different slot. E.g. 2
Default settings wil lautomatically back up your settings.
Say Yes to reboot to new image (slot 2) …
On restart choose settings backup ..restore settings, restore plugins.

…and as Huevos says post ANY crash log…….you should not be getting any, so we need to see them
 
The box came with the latest image, but I was getting multiple crashes. I tried turning off Picons, auto updates, and NIT scans, but it still kept crashing after each run. Even when I disabled everything, it would just time out instead. Reverting to Image 6.6 helped and since then it’s been working with no issues.

That said, I’m new to all this, so it’s probably something I was doing wrong. It’s all running well now.

Just to check — if I decide to try the latest image again, am I right in thinking I can back up my current setup and config so I don’t lose everything if it goes wrong?

Yes
menu/setup/vix/backup manager/Green = new backup
This is your backup of settings. If you install a new image you will get a wizard appearing offering to restore this backup of settings

menu/setup/vix/image manager/Green = new backup
This is the backup of the image. If you need to go back to this image you can select it and press blue to flash

If installing a new image try
menu/setup/vix/image manager/yellow = downloads and select the image you want
After its downloaded press blue to flash

Image backups may appear to stall for a good number of minutes but it will complete.
Flashing does take a good number of minutes.

If you still get crashes try a cold boot. First put your box into deep standby - long press of the on/off button on the remote. Always put your box into deep standby before removing power. Remove the mains power. Wait 60 seconds for internal power supplies to discaharge. Restore main power.

If you get crashes enable the logs and post them here
menu/setup/system/logs/Log settings.
Enable debug logs = yes
Debug log time format = local time

Afterwards you will find the logs in the location shown in the first line of those settings
If you get crashes enable the logs and post them here
menu/setup/system/logs/Log manager Red = toggles between crash logs and debug logs
You may/will have to restart the box for the current log to be written - log press of on/off on the remote.

To download them to a PC/Laptop use something like a FTP client (Filezilla is popular). You first need to setup a password on your box
menu/setup/network/password setup
When entering text first press the text button on the remote control

Filezilla setup
Host IP of your box xx.xx.xx.xx
Port can be left blank
Encryption = use explicit over FTP over TLS if available - press Ok or continue if there is a warning whislt connecting
Logon type = normal
User = root
Password = the password you have set up on the box, It will be case sensitive
 
Thanks for the excellent advice. I’ll make sure to send over any crash logs if they pop up. I’m planning to update to the latest image sometime this week
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top