Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Newbie help! Which way to go!?

  • Thread starter Thread starter selector007
  • Start date Start date
S

selector007

Guest
Hi all,

My current set-up is sly and the time has come to say goodbye! I have been doing plenty of research and may i say this forum is very good and seems to have the experts. But i am now at a crossroads and need some direction!

I would like to keep my current sly dish and utilise this for the time being. From the research i have narrowed down the sat receiver to be a vu+ solo2 as this is in budget and the duo2 seems a bit overkill for my needs as to begin with i would only want freesat channels plus a few more but to be able have the same functions as sly. The other reason i would like to have the vu solo2 as i think i would like to install the vix team firmware or maybe the black hole firmware as I did look at a gigablue hd box but the one which had these firmware was more expensive.

Would the solo2 bring the same experience as a sly box such as epg functionality and series recording etc? Do these functions work seamless or are they a bit temperamental? The box would be a family box so i would like it to be user friendly.

I think i would purchase from WOS as they seem to have a good reputation and i want to avoid buying a clone!

Thanks people!
 
Nothing is ever going to fully compare to a sky uk receiver other than a sky uk receiver, but Linux based E2 receivers are almost there and miles ahead in other areas too. Linux boxes are great for the most part and every thing you need will be available with a receiver such as a Vu+ Solo2 but you have to do a bit of regular upkeep if you want things to stay working long term and they are not plug and play.

Image wise i would say try a few and see which fits best but for EPG and series link features ViX has no rival in my opinion.
 
Excellent choice the VU+ Solo2 is. Best by a country mile in my opinion, and I have a Duo2 and a Solo2. Chose ViX for your image and you will get everything you need with ABM and CrossEPG.

:thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like the solo2 gets a thumbs up. I've never used Linux before but I'm pretty techie, is getting the solo2 a bit extravagant, is it worth going for something cheaper? But I don't really want to be buying again soon?

It sounds like images are personal preference so will give them a try. Are there any good images of the solo2 in action(vix image) or even some vids as I'm struggling to find these, even on YouTube. I would have expected to find a few of these but there are none which are any good.
 
The solo2 is a little pricey but well worth the cost and it's a lot more future proof than say a three year old Vu+ Duo. you can get the ViX image from our download site www.openvix.co.uk and some other images from other teams from this very forum. There are no videos of ViX in action that i know of.
 
Am not saying this because I am a member of the VIX team but you will find VIX is the best image out there and has the most wanted plugins integrated into the image - such as one click series link or one of recording, afaik no other image as that:thumbsup:
 
Can the solo2 also be used as a media player? e.g can it be hooked to my lan and play files from a server location.
 
yes but remember that media player functions are to be considered a bonus and not a rite, by this i mean it will play the basic formats well enough but it wont play every thing a dedicated media player will.
 
Slightly digressing but remember I am currently a novice!!!!! My set-up will be sly dish. In regards to watch 1 channel record another am I right in thinking 2 cables from 1 lnb, 1 into each tuner? Am I on the right tracks, as I'm a tad confused with the whole tuner aspect.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Does the vix image include the buffering function like the tivo box? Such as When you switch channels, the machine will start to buffer the one you’re now watching, while continuing to store content from the one you’ve just left…For example, if you’re watching 1 channel and you then switch to another then switch back is it possible to rewind?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi Selector,
Sorry to Hijack your post, only I am in the exact same position as you.

Looking at the Solo2+ also and will only have the [STRIKE]popular [/STRIKE] common, dish available as I'm moving into a new house.

I have read the forums and would be looking at the VIX image and possibly CCam once I have become more confident.

My concern would be the satellite set up (co-ordinates and positioning of the dish) however, I think I will take the plunge, purchase the box and see where I end up!

How are you getting along with everything so far?
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top