Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Newbie needs recommendation for a receiver

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lee James
  • Start date Start date
It has already been clarified that you do not need the device connected to a network (LAN or WAN) to operate.

Freesat EPG is enabled on ViX by default, so it will be absorbed as you watch. There is no need for internet downloads. Alternatively, you can use CrossEPG Downloader (OpenTV option only, not xml stuff). The internet EPG downloads do not apply to you.

I have a receiver setup at work for the FreeToAir services on 28.2 (Freesat), 13.0 and 19.2. It is not connected to any network.
 
Thanks again for the answers! :)

You've completed changed your last post, so my reply now makes little sense.
My apologies, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply so quickly.

Radio waves/microwaves are around 24/7 so your logic is beyond reason.
The issue is proximity to the transmitter. This is why there are guidelines and regulations concerning human proximity to radio transmitters. If you look up 'Specific absorption rate' on Wikipedia, you will see that proximity is relevant to safety. You may also Google the report made by Sir William Stewart concerning mobile phones and human safety. All mobile phones come with safety warnings about not spending too long talking on them, and restricting children's exposure to them. Whether these cautions are unnecessary or not, I don't have any interest in taking gambles with my health when I see no personal benefit to using wireless devices :)

It has already been clarified that you do not need the device connected to a network (LAN or WAN) to operate.
That is great. I wasn't sure because I saw a video on YouTube called "Cross EPG on Enigma 2 Linux Receivers" and from what I could understand it seemed as though the boxes weren't able to extract EPG information without going online. But I've probably misunderstood something. The subject is still all very new and confusing to me.
 
There is not scientific evidence of WiFi being dangerous to your health. It is just a few milliwatts of non ionising radiation.
 
There is not scientific evidence of WiFi being dangerous to your health. It is just a few milliwatts of non ionising radiation.
No, but right now this technology is all still relatively new and no one can say for certain, and I have read reports which seem to indicate a risk. So personally I'm not interested in taking risks. Bear in mind things like mobile phones are huge industries, so any evidence which links it to bad health is bound to have *huge* money invested in covering it up. Many of the reports which declare these things safe are directly or indirectly funded by the industries which rely on them.

You may call my scepticism undue, but that's my prerogative. I'm not even interested in using the technology so it doesn't really matter to me either way. I find cables just as easy as wireless, and more satisfying because then I know when I'm plugged in.

But then there's also another issue. I happen to be hypersensitive to electrical fields, so things like that tend to affect me more which is another reason I wouldn't want to install a radio transmitted in my home. Close proximity to electrical objects and EMFs *do* hurt me badly, for example I can't hold a mobile phone in my hand without it really hurting my hand - it burns and it's really painful. Likewise I can't put a landline to my head or I get severe pain from the EMFs - phones made me feel ill all my life but it wasn't till I got online that I was able to figure out it was the EMFs. I am also sensitive to the most common types of light bulbs and I cannot use them either.

So there are some of us for whom 'modern life' is not suited. Nevertheless I manage OK so long as I don't get too close to electrical things. Touching a normal keyboard is OK, although I tried a laptop once and that was a 'no'! :)
 
You don't have to use Wi-Fi with the receiver. Are there any other questions about the receivers?
 
Are there any other questions about the receivers?
I think all my main questions have been answered thank you, but I do have a couple more minor questions if anyone wants to give a reply...

1. So apparently the playback/rewind/pause performance is generally quite good on these boxes (dependent on the model). What about how long it takes when you, say, try to record something? With my Topfield, if I tell it to record something it can take up to about a minute before the box starts responding again. Is it better with these Linux boxes?

2. The model that Huevos linked to looks good. Though I notice you can have 2 satellite tuners and only 1 terrestrial. I am someone who keeps moving and don't always have access to a satellite dish so for me personally it would be great to have a box that allowed 2 satellite + 1 terrestrial for when I have a dish, and 2 terrestrial, for when I don't have a dish. Is there anything available like that?
 
I think all my main questions have been answered thank you, but I do have a couple more minor questions if anyone wants to give a reply...

1. So apparently the playback/rewind/pause performance is generally quite good on these boxes (dependent on the model). What about how long it takes when you, say, try to record something? With my Topfield, if I tell it to record something it can take up to about a minute before the box starts responding again. Is it better with these Linux boxes?

2. The model that Huevos linked to looks good. Though I notice you can have 2 satellite tuners and only 1 terrestrial. I am someone who keeps moving and don't always have access to a satellite dish so for me personally it would be great to have a box that allowed 2 satellite + 1 terrestrial for when I have a dish, and 2 terrestrial, for when I don't have a dish. Is there anything available like that?

1/ Pretty much instant.
2/ You may be best looking at the Octagon SF4008 >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...f4008-combo-1xdvb-s-s2-s2x-plus-2x-dvb-c-t-t2

With this receiver you can swap from 2x Satellite & 1x Terrestrial or 1x Satellite & 2x Terrestrial.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Agree with Andy. Got an SF4008 here. To makethe change you have to open the case and move the terrestrial tuner to the first slot and the satellite tuner to the second.

But you have misunderstood the specs of the OS Mega. It has 3 sat capable tuners, one of which also is terrestrial capable at the same time without changing the config.. If you want more terrestrial tuners you can just plug in a USB tuner. For me 3 tuners is minimum. Allows to record one watch one and one extra to handle overlaps.
 
Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for the replies! Really helpful :)

I'm definitely going to get one of these Linux machines, they seem really good. It was only by fluke I heard about them - everywhere I asked, I was told that you simply cannot re-order the channels on a freesat box and there is no box which allows it! (I would find that SO annoying and would never touch a box that had channels in the default Freesat order) I guess most people haven't heard about these great boxes! :)

1/ Pretty much instant.
2/ You may be best looking at the Octagon SF4008 >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.u...f4008-combo-1xdvb-s-s2-s2x-plus-2x-dvb-c-t-t2
Thanks for the recommendation!

OS Mega [...] has 3 sat capable tuners, one of which also is terrestrial capable at the same time without changing the config.. If you want more terrestrial tuners you can just plug in a USB tuner.
Oh. I haven't heard of USB tuners. Is that expensive, or limited in some way? If not, it would seem like the OS Mega is a cheaper option if I want 2 satellite + 1 terrestrial (or sometimes just 2 terrestrial).

Apart from the difference in tuners, what does the Octagon have any major advantages over the OS Mega?
 
Hello, I'm back with a couple more questions...

1. So I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these Enigma 2 boxes, but there seem to be a few different types of software systems ("images"?) that can run on them. So my question is: Is there any place where I can see, like, a comparison of all the different systems, ideally with screen shots? So I can choose one I like the look of? If not - is there a list anywhere of all the different ones, so I can go and check them all out?

2. I'm also a bit concerned about the remote control. It seems that these boxes come with universal remote controls. I tend to hate universal remote controls. For one thing, they can use a lot of power, which kind of annoys me. But they also tend to be really heavy, and I like remotes that are really lightweight. So my question is - what are the remotes like on these boxes - do any of the brands come with lighter remotes?
 
Thanks once again for the very helpful replies! :) One more question...

8) I saw a video today showing an Enigma 2 box and I got the impression that these boxes need to go online in order to download EPG data. In other words, they are not able to extract Freesat EPG information from the TV signal alone. Is that correct, or have I got this wrong?

I get my Freeview and Freesat 7 day EPG over the air - I don't get my EPG data via the Internet. You have a choice of which to use and it's user configured from the OpenVix menus.
 
1) Use OpenViX. OpenViX is stable and you can download different "skins" to colour and style it how you want.

2) Universal just means the remote control can be used to control other devices. It doesn't mean it is some cheap clunky piece of Chinese rubbish.
 
Thanks again for the replies :)

2) Universal just means the remote control can be used to control other devices. It doesn't mean it is some cheap clunky piece of Chinese rubbish.
Well it's really about the weight. For example, I cannot stand Sky remotes - they weight about 5 times more than a regular remote and I couldn't bear to hold one. I was really just hoping the remotes on these Linux boxes aren't as heavy as Sky remotes?
 
Thanks again for the replies :)


Well it's really about the weight. For example, I cannot stand Sky remotes - they weight about 5 times more than a regular remote and I couldn't bear to hold one. I was really just hoping the remotes on these Linux boxes aren't as heavy as Sky remotes?

You mean you don‘t like getting a value for money remote for all that money you pay to Sky? ..... just joking:)
All the E2 receivers I have bought, had had smaller and lighter remotes than the Sky remote. Whether they have as much functionalty depends on the receiver..... some are better than others.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top