P
polomora
Guest
Hello,
I've just ordered my VU+ Duo. While waiting for it to arrive, I started searching around for more information about customised firmware images, and came across this forum. I have basic experience of satellite dishes and STBs - I installed an 80cm dish (I live in Belgium) last year and have a basic Humax FreeSat box to receive BBC and ITV. I now want to extend my setup to receive TV Vlaanderen, and to be able to record and playback offline, and finally switch off my cable TV.
I have some questions:
1. What is the difference between ViX, OpenPLI and the firmware (Enigma?) preinstalled on the box.
2. When I installed the dish last year, I put in a dual LNB, and brought two cables down into the house, because I had read that to be able to simultaneously watch and record two channels, the STB would need two DVB-S modems fed by separate sat cables (my basic Humax only has one). Now, reading the Duo's manual online, I notice that it can be configured to either use separate sat cables connected to the two DVB-S tuners, or to use one cable connected to the first tuner, with the signal being passed through to the second. Is there any disadvantage to using one sat cable? Would I be able to simultaneously watch and record? I was thinking that if I could get away with using one cable, I could connect the other cable to a second STB sometime in the future.
3. If I attach an internal hard disk to record/playback, is there a limit to the number of channels that can be simultaneously recorded. In my case, I will be taking feeds from three satellites: one for FreeSat and two for TV Vlaanderen.
4. I think I read that I can record to playback from a NAS hard disk located on my home network. Can I also simultaneously record from several channels, or simultaneously record and playback?
5. The Duo has two built-in DVB-S modems. Can I also attach an external USB DVB-T/C modem, and be able to record channels from it while simultaneously watching something else?
6. Can the EPG seamlessly integrate the channels available from the various satellites and, optionally, the USB tuner?
7. How long does the box take to startup from deep standby?
That's it! I'm sure some of these questions are basic, and are probably answered elsewhere. I haven't been able to find a beginner's guide; if I missed it, could you attach a link.
Many thanks,
Paul
I've just ordered my VU+ Duo. While waiting for it to arrive, I started searching around for more information about customised firmware images, and came across this forum. I have basic experience of satellite dishes and STBs - I installed an 80cm dish (I live in Belgium) last year and have a basic Humax FreeSat box to receive BBC and ITV. I now want to extend my setup to receive TV Vlaanderen, and to be able to record and playback offline, and finally switch off my cable TV.
I have some questions:
1. What is the difference between ViX, OpenPLI and the firmware (Enigma?) preinstalled on the box.
2. When I installed the dish last year, I put in a dual LNB, and brought two cables down into the house, because I had read that to be able to simultaneously watch and record two channels, the STB would need two DVB-S modems fed by separate sat cables (my basic Humax only has one). Now, reading the Duo's manual online, I notice that it can be configured to either use separate sat cables connected to the two DVB-S tuners, or to use one cable connected to the first tuner, with the signal being passed through to the second. Is there any disadvantage to using one sat cable? Would I be able to simultaneously watch and record? I was thinking that if I could get away with using one cable, I could connect the other cable to a second STB sometime in the future.
3. If I attach an internal hard disk to record/playback, is there a limit to the number of channels that can be simultaneously recorded. In my case, I will be taking feeds from three satellites: one for FreeSat and two for TV Vlaanderen.
4. I think I read that I can record to playback from a NAS hard disk located on my home network. Can I also simultaneously record from several channels, or simultaneously record and playback?
5. The Duo has two built-in DVB-S modems. Can I also attach an external USB DVB-T/C modem, and be able to record channels from it while simultaneously watching something else?
6. Can the EPG seamlessly integrate the channels available from the various satellites and, optionally, the USB tuner?
7. How long does the box take to startup from deep standby?
That's it! I'm sure some of these questions are basic, and are probably answered elsewhere. I haven't been able to find a beginner's guide; if I missed it, could you attach a link.
Many thanks,
Paul