Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[Zgemma H7] picon caching strangeness

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrokenUnusableAccount
  • Start date Start date
bad:CNBCHDbad.webp


good:CNBCHDgood.webp


bad:CNNHDbad.webp


good:CNNHDgood.webp


bad:NTDbad.webp


good:NTDgood.webp


All captured from the first infobar, the one that temporarily appears over the bottom of the screen when you press OK once while viewing.
 
Last edited:
Brian you need to look at adding some SVG picons.

Yes. That's a good* idea. Spend months recrafting all the icons that are only available in PNG as custom built SVG files rather than fixing a coding bug.

*or do I mean bad
 
How big is your TV screen Brian! The differences between those picons would be difficult to spot on a 1080 tv screen at usual viewing distance. Or maybe, it's my old eyesight...:cool:
 
How big is your TV screen Brian! The differences between those picons would be difficult to spot on a 1080 tv screen at usual viewing distance. Or maybe, it's my old eyesight...:cool:

That's what I thought, I can't see any difference at all.
 
How big is your TV screen Brian! The differences between those picons would be difficult to spot on a 1080 tv screen at usual viewing distance. Or maybe, it's my old eyesight...:cool:

32 inch. Not big at all by modern standards.

Yes, at normal viewing distance there isn't much difference, but that's not really a reason not to figure out what's wrong and fix it.
You are sometimes going to be closer to the screen.
Maybe it isn't the caching that's doing it, but after a restart bringing up the small icon in the EPG first and then displaying the big one on the first infobar seems to be what triggers it.
 
Yes. That's a good* idea. Spend months recrafting all the icons that are only available in PNG as custom built SVG files rather than fixing a coding bug.

*or do I mean bad

The picons on the feeds are built from SVG.
 
The picons on the feeds are built from SVG.

What picons on the feeds?
How do I get them?

When you say built from SVG are you actually saying they consist entirely of SVG files?
Or are you just pointlessly pointing out that the picons PNG files were, or may have been from converted SVG files?

You need to exlain what you're actually trying to say, badly scaling a PNG that came from an SVG file messes it up just as much (or worse) than scaling a PNG that was made as a PNG.
 
Last edited:
That's what I thought, I can't see any difference at all.

You don't sit near your computer so you can read the text on it's screen?

That's daft.

Stop trying to cancel by bugs.
 
Last edited:
You don't sit near your computer so you can read the text on it's screen?

That's daft.

I was referring to picons looking the same on the tv, jagged or not.

Anyway, picons now removed for ever more, horrendous springs to mind, imho.
 
It'll just have to be yet another of my little patches I do after I update or flash a new version of OpenViX.

They make it so much better but seem to get argued against and insulted if I even suggest making them part of OpenViX.
 
What picons on the feeds?
How do I get them?

When you say built from SVG are you actually saying they consist entirely of SVG files?
Or are you just pointlessly pointing out that the picons PNG files were, or may have been from converted SVG files?

You need to exlain what you're actually trying to say, badly scaling a PNG that came from an SVG file messes it up just as much (or worse) than scaling a PNG that was made as a PNG.
The picon sets are built to PNG but no reason why you couldn't use the SVGs directly.
https://github.com/picons/
 
The picon sets are built to PNG but no reason why you couldn't use the SVGs directly.
https://github.com/picons/

No. Those are built from a mixture of PNGs and SVGs.

There are a lot of picons where no SVG could be found on the internet only a PNG, so they use the PNG.
If I remember right they even have instructions telling you what range of sizes they prefer for the PNG when you submit a new picon and can't provide a SVG.
 
At present, I'm fixing this by using this modified version of /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Tools/LoadPixmap.py
Code:
my file: https://github.com/BrianG61UK/enigma2/blob/PixmapCaching/lib/python/Tools/LoadPixmap.py

compared: https://github.com/BrianG61UK/enigma2/commit/4b654b2d665c0871806c6e263f09f0db60025ff8
on my box.

Actually it doesn't quite seem to fix all cases.
I have changed to a version of LoadPixmap.py that completely disables caching in all cases.
Everything still goes at more than acceptable speed on my Zgemma H7.
 
Last edited:
If I had to guess I would say this is maybe a HiSi bug.
No it's all this code written with comments that mostly just explain what the following (not at all difficult to understand) line of code does rather than explaining how everything is supposed to work together or what and when a function is intended to be used for.
Oh and by the way I reported the bug and my box isn't based on HiSi silicon.
 
Brian you need to look at adding some SVG picons.
As far as I can see the command line tools to automate converting from the available SVGs of the logos into SVGs with correctly set viewports to make them display correctly in OpenViX simply don't exist and doing it manually actually produces a worse result than what have now, at least if you do in the most obvious way.
 
Last edited:

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top