Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Private Internet Access Open VPN Setup

  • Thread starter Thread starter excalibre
  • Start date Start date
E

excalibre

Guest
Hi All, Just thought I'd post this after 3 days of racking my brain and many failed attempts at setting up Open VPN with Private Internet Access on my VU+ Duo2.

First off you'll need an account with PIA

Secondly you'll need this file:-
openvpn.zip (Downloaded from PIA's website)

Extract the contents of the zip, copy the two files *****.crt and *****.pem to a folder named openvpn

next you'll need to choose one of the *****.ovpn (Your choose depends on what country you want to use)

rename that *****.ovpn file to client.conf and open in notepad (TXT Editor)

It will look a bit garbled but edit it to look like this:- "I Used US-California OVPN File"

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote us-california.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify crl.rsa.2048.pem
ca ca.rsa.2048.crt

next you'll need to do a bit more editing so it will look like this:-

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote us-california.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-nocache
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password.txt
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
ca /etc/openvpn/ca.rsa.2048.crt
crl-verify /etc/openvpn/crl.rsa.2048.pem
log /etc/openvpn/openvpn.log

Ok now save that file to the folder openvpn with the other two files earlier.

now create a new txt file called password.txt
log in to your web account with PIA and go to control panel and generate a "PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password"
copy that user and password to the password.txt file user on one line and pass on another like this:-

4fd5ge6
4d7ger4

save that to openvpn folder

then save the folder somewhere safe.

install openvpn on your box under menu setup network openvpn
let the box reboot

copy the 4 files in your openvpn folder to your box root/etc/openvpn/

start openvpn from box and you're done.

ENJOY !!!! :cool:
 
It's sometimes easier to run a VPN AP or dedicated SSID on the router - therefore any device connected benefits from the VPN. You usually don't want to do this for every device though.
 
now create a new txt file called password.txt
log in to your web account with PIA and go to control panel and generate a "PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password"
copy that user and password to the password.txt file user on one line and pass on another like this:-

4fd5ge6
4d7ger4

Hi. Great post and thanks for sharing.
However, can you tell me why you'd use the socks proxy password and username instead of your "normal" login? I don't get it!

Regards,
Spooof
 
I am banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work. Followed everyting to the letter but the VPN still states stopped. Any ideas guys?
 
I am banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work. Followed everyting to the letter but the VPN still states stopped. Any ideas guys?

Daft question but have you restarted the box and pressed green to start.
 
Yes. The strange thing is that I can get it working on my VU+Duo2 fine. But using exactly the same files put into the same location on another box which is unsupported on this forum it does not work??
Guess it shows that cheap clones are not always as good value in the long run.

As I now have this working on a supported device mods can close the thread as I realise there is no support for clone boxes on this forum.
 
Thanks a lot for this guide, i have just used it to set up my PIA VPN
 
I am also using PIA for my vpn. I've tried to setup openvpn using this method and I can get the status to go green and "running" but the box wont talk to the outside world. if I telnet in and type wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo it returns nothing, try the same thing when openvpn is stopped and I get my Virmin Media ip. Could it be the superhub ? did you do any port forwarding to get it to work ?
My box is vu duo2 running latest vix.
 
I am also using PIA for my vpn. I've tried to setup openvpn using this method and I can get the status to go green and "running" but the box wont talk to the outside world. if I telnet in and type wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo it returns nothing, try the same thing when openvpn is stopped and I get my Virmin Media ip. Could it be the superhub ? did you do any port forwarding to get it to work ?
My box is vu duo2 running latest vix.

I get the same, stopping vpn and all is fine, Anyone out there have a solution, I'm using Vu+duo2 with latest vix image. Thanks Robert
 
When setting up a VPN, you can run into quite a few problems like what authentication it needs, which password do you use. If you are using a Virgin Media SuperHub you have the added challenge that by default your speedy SuperHub will block outgoing VPN traffic meaning that with all the correct details it just doesn't work. To fix this, just follow the below steps:

Browse to your SuperHub's IP Address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) and log in
Select "Advanced Settings" and click "Yes" to confirm you want to view these
Select "Firewall" from the list
Tick "IPSec Pass-Through", "PPTP Pass-Through" and "Multicast Pass-Through" at the bottom of the page
Click "Yes" to confirm settings change
Try to connect your VPN again.
This allows the traffic through for VPN authentication and should now allow your VPN to connect as normal.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
Hi guys, do I need to make a folder on the box called 'openvpn'? I have installed it via network, install.... but cannot see a folder in etc/openvpn
closest thing to it, is etc/opkg
please help!
 
Hi guys, do I need to make a folder on the box called 'openvpn'? I have installed it via network, install.... but cannot see a folder in etc/openvpn
closest thing to it, is etc/opkg
please help!
You need to create the folders

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
 
Many thanks for your detailed instructions, up and running in no time.

Cheers.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top