Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Problems streaming VLC over WAN

  • Thread starter Thread starter terryduckworth
  • Start date Start date
T

terryduckworth

Guest
Hello

I am trying to get streaming via vlc working over the WAN, I have set up port forwarding and can see the webif over the WAN but when I open the M3U file in vlc I get error messages saying the stream cannot be opened.

I have it working in VLC over the LAN, have set up port forwarding, DynDns etc, but just cant get over this last hurdle.

Di I need to change some settings in vlc, Im currently on version 0.86 of vlc as I have seen in other posts that people have had issues with the later versions epecially on dreamboxes.

I have tried opening vlc over more than 1 location but it doesnt work

Any ideas on what it could be or detailed tutorials..?

Aalso I can never get the webx-tv working either on the LAN or Wan not sure if its related, but as I say vlc works on the LAN

Thanks
 
Hi,

I guess you are trying to stream over the internet. It won't work unles you transcode it first via another vlc server... or have at least a 10Mbit upload speed.

mrgee
 
Thanks mrgee

I don't suppose theres any tutorials knocking around explaining how to do it?

I assume you stream from the duo to vlc on another pc which then streams back to the net.

Any tutorials advice on settings would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
 
Thanks bassethound. Problem is Ive done all that and it works

Its the next step in the chain to get it stream locallyover the web via vlc. I believe you need to have vlc acting as a server locally and then have vlc running remotely but I am unsure as how to set vlc as a server locally...?
 
I use the following steps from a linux machine.. and sure you can run it on windows and osx.

* Using web interface download the channel vlc file
* Open it in notepad
* Copy the line - e.g http://192.168.1.2:8001/1:0:1:283E:7FE:2:11A0000:0:0:0:
* Install vlc-wrapper which allows you to run via terminal
* I use the following script to run the stream

#!/bin/sh
vlc-wrapper -I dummy http://192.168.1.2:8001/1:0:1:283E:7FE:2:11A0000:0:0:0: --sout='#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=500,scale=0.75,aco dec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=1}:std{access=http,mux=ts, dst=192.168.1.3:8090}'

* Make sure the dst=ip part of the script address is pointing to the machine that you use to run the script
* Save the file
* Open the firewall rule on your router to open the port that you want to use - e.g 8090
* Run script ./filename.sh (make sure its executable - chmod 755)
* Final step on your client machine open vlc > open network stream > Network > http://publicip:8090


Hope this helps.
 
Spaceman

Thanks for the response, but thats gone a bit above my skills. I dont suppose there's more of a tutorial for the following bits of your post anywhere..? Ive looked for vlc wrapper but cant find it to download. Any more of a dummies guide for these bits would be useful if possible?

Install vlc-wrapper which allows you to run via terminal
* I use the following script to run the stream

#!/bin/sh
vlc-wrapper -I dummy http://192.168.1.2:8001/1:0:1:283E:7FE:2:11A0000:0:0:0: --sout='#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=500,scale=0.75,aco dec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=1}:std{access=http,mux=ts, dst=192.168.1.3:8090}'


* Run script ./filename.sh (make sure its executable - chmod 755)
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top