Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Ultimo] Recording warning prior to shutdown

I have changed the port being used by openwebif. (I never use the default anyway). My question still remain, can the solo stream outside the network since it doesnt do transcoding? Secondly, if I change the root's password, will it affect other services on the box, like software update, etc? I'm quite knowledgeable with port-forwarding/firewall/security, so I'm not so sure (but it might be) that its an outside attack. Worst case scenario, I disable openwebif and not use the service at all, but it might just be a bug with helios.

Thanks
 
It has nothing to do with the Open web-if, but with port forwarding. As long as no ports are being forwarded to the internet, nobody should be able to get in the box.
And sure the box is capable of streaming. And the box itself has no clue if the stream is being asked from WLAN or LAN. Indeed: with 'normal' upload speeds, a stream from WLAN will not be watchable, but that's up to the intruder.

But again: if a thing like this happened to me, the very first thing I would do is to ask the box who's connected. As long as you don't do that, it's all guessing.
 
OK, will check netstat on the device when i get home. Will change the root's password just to be sure. Its on deep standby at the moment so I cannot be certain its leaking. I have probed my network from outside to see if I've got unsecured ports (i port-forward to my media center for bit-torrent and remote access), and my router firewall seems to be doing a good job so far.
 
Its on deep standby at the moment so I cannot be certain its leaking.
LOL, in deep standby you can be sure nobody is in .......

And the netstat command only reveals connections that are there at the moment you issue the command; no history is kept.
So it makes sense to use it when the issue (i.e. unexpected 'recording') is showing.
 
LOL, in deep standby you can be sure nobody is in

The reason why i said that is because I know I should not be able to get a response from it since its effectively shutdown. I am at work at the moment and can run a network scan tool for open ports (which I've done, and only the ports I opened are responding). I also said that because couple of times now, I have put it into deep standby, only to wake up in the morning to find it up! Unless there is an entity in my house thats watching TV during the night, (wifey swears she's not sleepwalking), I cannot figure out how it comes out of deep standby by itself. I do not have any sort of timer configured.:confused:
 
A (short) power outage might cause that. Or an EPG-import?
If you enable the debuglogs you can see what timer is set when the box goes deep (if any) and iirc also why the box comes up.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top