Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Running VIX 2.1 and now getting sluggish with glitches?

  • Thread starter Thread starter emporer
  • Start date Start date
E

emporer

Guest
Had my VU box since March, installed VIX 2.1 from new and not messed at all with it, installed a WD 1tb caviar drive from new aswell. I dont have any plugins etc installed, just plain VIX 2.1, its on my Sky dish and nothing else, I upload fox's new settings every month aswell as his picons and all works very well indeed, up to now.

Recently its been getting a bit sluggish, lots of VIX spinner in the corner stuff when looking at the recordings etc, slower to scroll through the recordings list also. Ive noticed now that its glitching quite a bit too, just tonight it was doing it every few secs for a few mins then didnt see one glitch for maybe an hour then i'd get the odd glitch, just so random.

Now, ive discounted the net connection as I also have a DM800 all hooked up to the same router etc and that was just fine so i'm assuming its now the box/image thats giving me the problem. I must also point out that my picons and epg are on the HDD and I know people have issues with this but its never given me any problems at all so i'm not convinced that could be the issue either.

I'm using cccam 2.14 on the image and as stated its plain vix 2.1 and nothing else.

I'm thinking of restoring the image from a backup on the drive from June, if I did this would I need to re-install cccam and the cfg files? and also my settings and fox's bouquet and picons? gotta give this a go I think and if thats no good then i'll try and use a usb stick for epg/picons and see if it helps, I tried before but the box threw a wobbler and wouldnt work correct until I pulled out the usb stick, hence why I have them on the HDD.

Any help appreciated guys.
 
First of all, you should copy your CCcam.cfg found in the ETC folder to your comp

you could then try your backup

but as far as the randum freezing/glitching goes, unless you are using a local card, the issue can not be discussed, and your problem is most likely caused from else where

as far as the image being tired, goes, have you updated the the image, via online update, if not, you should do so
 
why not update it to 2.2 or wait a few more days and update it to 2.3

2.1 is very old now and alot of driver updates have been implimented
 
if 2.3 is only days away then i'll wait around for that I think and see how it goes.

My current 2.1 says there are no downloadable updates so I assume its up to date as far as it can go, its just odd though as literally nothing has changed and the setup was perfect up until recently which makes me think the image may have got corrupted somehow, I seem to remember one morning a few weeks back it got stuck on the radio screen when grabbing an epg download so I had to switch it off from the back of the box, maybe that has caused an issue.

Ok, ive never restored an image backup so i'll need to backup my cccam.cfg obviously but will all my other settings etc be as they are on backup? ie stuff like picture/audio settings and recording parameters etc? Will the latest picons and bouquets still be there or will I have to redo those too?

Also you mention 'days' away from 2.3, any idea roughly when?

many thanks guys, much appreciated
 
Ok so ive restored the image from a few months back, still the same. So ive got a usb stick in now, epg on that instead of hdd, its no quicker or slower accessing it than on the hdd, is this correct or should I see an improvement in access times of the epg on the usb stick over hdd?

ive also got my picons back on, now on usb stick under media/usb, but i'm not sure its working correctly, once I restored the image the picons were there (from the June backup image I presume?), so i got the latest pack and upped them to the usb stick but I still think the box is using the picons that were there before, problem is I couldnt find any picons using ftp at all and hoped that installing the picon folder to the usb stick would solve it but I think its the same as I have a few that aint there ie Eurosport/Dave HD etc.

So not sure whats going on, is it at all possible the old picons from the June image are being used upon restore and that they are somewhere else on the box? I just couldnt find them anywhere, and is it possible to actually map thelocation of the picons to the usb stick where it should be picking them up but isnt.

On top of all this ball ache the box is still glitching :(
 
Mine went slow and gave problems like yours, a differant USB stick fixed it. I guess it got tierd?
 
I never had a usb stick at all though, I like my stuff quite simple so my box just had a hdd and plain vix 2.1, no extras or plugins etc, was perfect until recently, just cant figure it out.

This picon issue is bugging me now though, it seems to be using picons from the june image backup but I cant find them using ftp to delete them, ive uploaded new picons to the usb stick but the box is still not showing the correct ones, seems to have a fair few channels missing them. Guess its just bugs in vix.

I'm going to limp it through for a few days until 2.3 is out then i'll do a reflash of a whole new image and hopefully that will sort any issues.

For anyone thats done that before, I take it I can leave the hdd intact? literally just new image on usb stick and install?
 
Ayup emporer
you need to ftp into your Vu and delete the picon folder from your hdd. Once you do this it should pick 'em up from your usb stick. I prefer them on the hdd as I use permanent time shift so
the drive is always spinning.

Hope this helps
 
thats just the thing, there is no picon folder on the hdd anywhere, yet ive got the usb stick with picons on but i'm sure its not picking them up, lots are not appearing yet I know that they are in the picon folder, its the latest picon set and i'm using the latest bouquets, god only knows where and how its picking the picons up from.
 
Ok so ive restored the image from a few months back, still the same. So ive got a usb stick in now, epg on that instead of hdd, its no quicker or slower accessing it than on the hdd, is this correct or should I see an improvement in access times of the epg on the usb stick over hdd?
All EPG data is always in RAM, so the location/speed of epg.dat is of no importance at all (is only read on startup and written on shutdown.

Just out of curiosity: do you use external mounts (NAS, other box)?
 
All EPG data is always in RAM, so the location/speed of epg.dat is of no importance at all (is only read on startup and written on shutdown.

Just out of curiosity: do you use external mounts (NAS, other box)?

No other mounts, only devices used are the intrnal hdd and usb stick in the rear.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top