Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

SF80008 crashes during flash

paulowc

New member
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi.

Half way through an online flash update of the latest Openvix my box crashes with a black screen message that there has been a software error. I've attached the log here as it suggests.

I have also attempted a usb flash, but no matter which is drive I use, it cannot see the usb_update.bin file and the drive shows as 0mb free in the top right corner.

Thank you
 

Attachments

Last edited:
So lots of code changes in last 2 years, even a new recovery system.
1) try power off, power on and immediately press the front button on the box until updt appears- if that works download an image and flash using the recovery system
2) if that doesn,t work then try power on holding the front power button until updt appears, and then as above.

This guide will be useful to read first….
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?62747-How-to-USB-flash-New-Multi-boot-recovery-menu-and-Image-to-Octagon-SF8008-New-procedure-21-04-2020
 
Thank you. I am able to get into the updt menu. But I've tried 8 different USB sticks all formatted to fat32 using the suggested app and it can't see the files on them.
 
Thank you. I am able to get into the updt menu. But I've tried 8 different USB sticks all formatted to fat32 using the suggested app and it can't see the files on them.

Can you get into network multiboot upgrade … select an image from there and follow the instructions
 
It says "No image found from the internet!!". It is connected by cable and it's ip address shows in the top left
 
Last edited:
The log is not encouraging. Consider these:
< 68.3187> 14:48:36.1105 KeyError: 'rootsubdir'
<4>FAT-fs (mmcblk0p3): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
<2>WARNING: Running kernel does not match configured kernel headers the driver was built with!

FSCK or file systems check is displayed a lot in sf8008 receivers. Can you log into the receiver using terminal or putty? Seems if you can get the log you have terminal.

You may try as a long shot, fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p13 and fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p3 in terminal.
 
root@sf8008:~# fsck
fsck (busybox 1.35.0)
fsck: fsck.auto: No such file or directory

root@sf8008:~# fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p13
fsck (busybox 1.35.0)
fsck: fsck.auto: No such file or directory
 
Last edited:
@pautlowc --- which usb image have you tried? the mmc or recovery image??

Try the Recovery having unzipped as described and using the updt menu...... it would probably help if you can initially just get the updated Recovery loaded.

This is the a really difficult box (and I am being really polite) and sometimes takes a lot of time, sweat and tears to sort...... I have never bricked a box yet and managed to get out of some unusual situations, so don't lose hope yet!

By the way does it still boot up ?
 
Hi. Thanks for all this help. Yes it's a fully working box still, just stuck on an old os. I have been trying with the latest openvix recovery image.

Whilst the usb stick I create with the usb_update.bin file is recognised in the file browser when the box is booted into its current Openvix image, it is not when I boot into the updt menu as in the guide you shared. I don't know how I can update the recovery image.
 
do you extract directly from PC to usb stick ? Make a small partition on USB stick from 256 MB and would probably work better
 
@paulowc
can you confirm that the sf8008 is showing available slots ---- long press power button and Multibootselector (or similar - we changed names at one point) should be there, just enter and check slots used.
Then press blue button, select BackupManager and do a new settings backup.
then open up a Putty telnet session with login root and password for box.
If no password set (older boxes were not using always) in putty session enter passwd and respond with your box password (2x)
Then copy and paste following into screen(thanks to WillowBuild!!)
Code:
wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh http://www.willobuild.net/files/scripts/install_vix.sh && bash install_vix.sh

hit enter and follow instructions choose a not used slot - I am assuming that you are using slot 1 and therefore slot 2 is free.

when you get to restore settings choose your settings backup.

Good luck
 
Last edited:
Im using a 4GB usb stick. I've formatted it with a space of 256MB empty at the start, but still the same issue of no files seen when trying to update using it. I'm not sure why the network update option also fails
 
do you unzip the file directly on usb stick as asked before ? No other sticks in box ? Upfates working fine here on that model on usb or feeds
 
if you are stuck on usb go to post #11, should work fine
 
Yes I tried unzipping direct to Usb but still no luck there.
 
Post 11 has worked and I'm on Openvix 6.7 003

Only slot 1 showed as having anything before, and even after selecting slot 2 using post 11 instructions, I still only have 1 slot used.

I'm happy I've upgraded. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do? I guess I still need to update the recovery by getting usb to work?
 
Post 11 has worked and I'm on Openvix 6.7 003

Only slot 1 showed as having anything before, and even after selecting slot 2 using post 11 instructions, I still only have 1 slot used.

I'm happy I've upgraded. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do? I guess I still need to update the recovery by getting usb to work?

OK can you tell me what is in /boot what STARTUP files do you have there??

Also turn on debug logs -- menu/setup/system/logs/settings .... enable, save to somewhere other than flash, local time --- take the restart and then post the debug log here... I would like to see the first couple of pages.

The sf8008 initially had one slot and used a partitioned sdcard for the other slots... that has changed, but it maybe you still have the old format.
 
Last edited:
Thanks,

/boot below and logs attached. 1st was the gui reboot and second was a full restart.

root@sf8008:~# ls /boot
STARTUP STARTUP_1 STARTUP_2 STARTUP_3
root@sf8008:~# cat /boot/*
boot emmcflash0.kernel 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p13 rootfstype=ext4 rootwa
it blkdevparts=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(basepar
am),4M(pqparam),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderd
b),32M(loader),8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot emmcflash0.kernel 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p13 rootfstype=ext4 rootwa
it blkdevparts=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(basepar
am),4M(pqparam),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderd
b),32M(loader),8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot usb0.sda1 'root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait blkdevparts
=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(baseparam),4M(pqparam
),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderdb),32M(loader)
,8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot usb0.sda3 'root=/dev/sda4 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait blkdevparts
=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(baseparam),4M(pqparam
),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderdb),32M(loader)
,8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks,

/boot below and logs attached. 1st was the gui reboot and second was a full restart.

root@sf8008:~# ls /boot
STARTUP STARTUP_1 STARTUP_2 STARTUP_3
root@sf8008:~# cat /boot/*
boot emmcflash0.kernel 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p13 rootfstype=ext4 rootwa
it blkdevparts=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(basepar
am),4M(pqparam),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderd
b),32M(loader),8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot emmcflash0.kernel 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p13 rootfstype=ext4 rootwa
it blkdevparts=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(basepar
am),4M(pqparam),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderd
b),32M(loader),8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot usb0.sda1 'root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait blkdevparts
=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(baseparam),4M(pqparam
),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderdb),32M(loader)
,8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'
boot usb0.sda3 'root=/dev/sda4 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait blkdevparts
=mmcblk0:1M(boot),1M(bootargs),1M(bootimg),3M(baseparam),4M(pqparam
),4M(logo),4M(deviceinfo),4M(softwareinfo),4M(loaderdb),32M(loader)
,8M(trustedcore),32M(kernel),7000M(rootfs),-(others)'

OK, so you are on latest which is good, but if possible you need to flash teh recovery image as per writeup to get the slots sorted and new partition layout
Depends on whether you want to do it!
Following is borrowed from another site….
1) Download recovery_emmc.zip for your model receiver
2) Extract the zip file.
3) In the extracted file you will see the following files:
apploader.bin
bootargs.bin
fastboot.bin
imageversion
usb_update.bin

4) Copy the above 5 files directly to root of your USB stick.
5) Ensure your receiver is powered off and connect USB stick to USB port on your receiver.
6) Amiko Viper 4K & Gigablue UHD Trio 4K hold down REAR reset button and power on while hold this down. Octagon SF8008 hold down front Stanby button and power on whilst holding this down. Once UPDT appears on front screen release reset button or power button, whichever applies to your receiver.
Once booted into the new recovery menu you will see the screen below. ENSURE YOUR USB STICK IS FULLY MOUNTED, SEE TOP RIGHT CORNER FOR USB STICK USED IN THIS EXAMPLE. IF YOU DO NOT SEE /mnt/HDD0 XXXX free DO NOT PROCEED, YOUR USB STICK IS NOT FULLY DETECTED. TRY RE-FORTMATTING THE STICK USING 'MINI TOOL PARTITION WIZARD'. NOTE WINDOWS 10 FORMATING CAN HAVE ISSUES:
attachment.php
7) IMPORTANT, YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING THE FIRST TIME TO ENSURE RECOVERY MULTI-BOOT MENU IS FLASHED TO YOUR RECEIVER & CORRECT PARTITIONS INSTALLED. SELECT 'FLASH RECOVERY IMAGE' > PRESS OK AND ANSWER YES WHEN PROMPTED.
attachment.php
attachment.php
8) Once completed your receiver will boot into your previously flash image. If the receiver gets stuck on boot it just means you need to flash a new image. Either way NEW IMAGE HAS TO BE FLASHED.
9) Due to flash partion re-sizing you now need to flash a new image.
10) Power off, BUT ENSURE RECOVERY IMAGE FLASHING IS COMPLETED BEFORE POWERING OFF.
11) Download the image ZIP file for your receiver. Image zip file ends in simply 'mmc.zip'.
12) Copy the complete 'ZIP' file to root of USB stick, DO NOT UNZIP.
13) Amiko Viper 4K & Gigablue UHD Trio 4K hold down REAR reset button and power on while hold this down. Octagon SF8008 hold down front Stanby button and power on whilst holding this down. Once UPDT appears on front screen release reset button or power button, whichever applies to your receiver.
Once booted into the new recovery menu you will see the screen below. ENSURE YOUR USB STICK IS FULLY MOUNTED, SEE TOP RIGHT CORNER FOR USB STICK USED IN THIS EXAMPLE. IF YOU DO NOT SEE /mnt/HDD0 XXXX free DO NOT PROCEED, YOUR USB STICK IS NOT FULLY DETECTED. TRY RE-FORTMATTING THE STICK USING 'MINI TOOL PARTITION WIZARD'. NOTE WINDOWS 10 FORMATING CAN HAVE ISSUES:
attachment.php
14) Select 'USB Multiboot Image Upgrade' > Press OK > You'll then see the following screen. At the top you will see the image zip file. In the field below you can select an eMMC slot to flash the image to. For this guide we are selecting Slot 1 where there is currently an OpenViX image installed. We will re-flash this slot. Select 'Start Upgrade' once ready and press OK.
 
Thanks again. I'll keep trying at this bit but have tried so many combinations of drives and partitions that I don't hold out much hope.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top