Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Time to Update !!

Hmmnd

Forum Supporter ,
Joined
Oct 20, 2011
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Points
16
I have been running Release v2.2.0 which I guess is quite old now so I thought it time for the latest image.

I have had to re flash at least 7 times in the past year when the system has crashed and green screens appear usually when trying to use the auto timer functions so I ceased using that some time ago and just keep things simple as when it comes to this technlogy that's what I am.

So my question is: Where do I find the simple walk through of how to install the latest image? And I am talking line by line instruction as in 'an idiots guide' and not just where the new image files are as it is some times since I re flashed the image and I now see something obout a 'bootloader' of which I have no experience at all.

cheers
ted
 
Have a read of this it should give you a idea of what to do, ignore all mention of ViX 2.3 just substitute that with the latest ViX 2.4-155 image.


Flashing the Bootloader and Image​

The receiver will come with a standard factory produced image ( The firmware or operating system for the receiver ) unless you have asked the retailer you purchased it from to load a specific image first, For the purposes of this tutorial i will assume this is the case and will be flashing the latest ViX 2.3 image with the Linux 3.1.1 kernel.

Before we get that far however you will need a few things.
1. A USB stick / key formatted the FAT32
2. The newest Vu+Duo bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )
3. The ViX image ( Current public version is ViX-2.3.204-vuduo_usb.zip )
4A. A little patience and some ones hand to hold if you have a nervous disposition.
4B. A clean pair of underpants ( just in case ).

To start we are going to first flash the Bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )

1. Power the receiver down by the power switch at the rear on the rear of the receiver.
2. unpack the bootloader file and place the folder ( vuplus and it's contents ) onto the USB stick. ( for this i use 7zip but winrar will do nicely. )
3. place the USB stick into any USB port on the receiver then power the receiver on by the power switch at the rear of the receiver.

IMPORTANT​
​
WARNING NEVER remove the USB stick from the box while flashing either the bootloader or any image without first seeing the VFD prompt to do so and only then after powering the receiver down first.
Failure to do so could lead to a very expensive hardware failure, more commonly known as a "BRICK". As your expensive receiver is now effectively now only useful as a house brick.


you should now see a message on the VFD display of your Vu+ Duo that the USB stick is being read once this part is complete you will see a message telling you to remove the stick and reboot.
Power off the receiver then remove the USB stick, once again format the stick to FAT32. Now decompress the image file ( ViX-2.3.204-vuduo_usb.zip ) again placing the folder named vuplus and it's contents onto the stick and follow the same procedure as above for flashing the bootloader.

you should see the following displayed on the VFD one at a time during the flahing proccess.

Reading USB, Erasing Flash , Programming , Finnished Remove USB and Reboot

Note that while the bootloader took only a few seconds to flash to your receiver, a full image flash will take a few minutes. Once this has completed and you see the VFD prompt you can again power down the receiver and remove the USB stick.
you can now power the box back on and allow it to boot, This process may take a few minutes but once complete you will be presented with a simple setup Wizard screen that will guide you through the various setup options helping you get started.
 
Many thanks for that .....BRICK and underpants is a bit scary though ;-)

Will I be able to restore 'system settings' or is this a completely new clean start.
 
Many thanks for that .....BRICK and underpants is a bit scary though ;-)

Will I be able to restore 'system settings' or is this a completely new clean start.

Technically yes but i would strongly advise against doing so as so much has changed between the versions it will no doubt introduce instabilities into the image where as a clean install will not.
 
Ok I,m up to here.

I have the duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip file which you say opens with winrar or 7zip.
When I click this file I see sub folders vuplus/duo/cfe_cfe_auto.bin does this indicate to you that it has been unzipped !:confused:
 
yes thats unzipped copy the vuplus folder to a formatted USB stick and flash as you would a image. IE place the stick into any of the USB ports then power the receiver down, after 1 minute power the receiver back on and wait for the prompt on the VFD, then do the same for the image it self.
 
I finally got around to trying to update after several crashes over the last week.

But I have a problem which I am sure is something simple I am or am not doing in spite of following instructions.

I put the bootloader on one USB stick and the image on another after formatting

I removed all other USBs from the box

The bootloader seems to flash ok but when I tried the flash the new image the box just ignores the USB and starts up with the old image.

Any help welcomed
 
I finally got around to trying to update after several crashes over the last week.

But I have a problem which I am sure is something simple I am or am not doing in spite of following instructions.

I put the bootloader on one USB stick and the image on another after formatting

I removed all other USBs from the box

The bootloader seems to flash ok but when I tried the flash the new image the box just ignores the USB and starts up with the old image.

Any help welcomed

you only need to flash the bootloader once. when the bootloader has flashed format the same USB stick you just used and put the image on that one. its likely your receiver is not properly detecting the stick with the image on.
 
Do you need a new Bootloader for the 3.0 version of Vix?

only if you have not already flashed the v3.0 bootloader previously ( duo only, solo is a different version ). but i would advise that you flash the bootloader first just to be safe.
 
Would the USB with the latest VIX image on be ignored if the bootloader had failed to flash correctly?
 
Would the USB with the latest VIX image on be ignored if the bootloader had failed to flash correctly?

No it may just be that the receiver did not see the stick with the image on. The bootloader flashes in the exact same way as a image. You should see a prompt on the VFD telling you to remove the USB stick and reboot, this is the same for a image or bootloader.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top