Rob van der Does
ViX Beta Tester
Closing a post about the status of the VIX-image, of course already indicates the worst.....
I was just making a reply as that happened, so I am obliged to continue here:
First of all: read again what you just said: ".... and could probably give access to the source, minus the Vix stuff ....". As VIX-image minus VIX-additions = PLi, what you actually say is that PLi can obtain acces to their own stuff!!! I can imagine they will be gratefull for that!
Stating this already indicates that you have rally no idea what you are talking about.
Secondly: adding stuff to open source material does not liberate you from those regulations (funny, what's in a name: the GNL is there to provide liberty; the way VIX uses it now, it provides only limitations!
Thirdly: as I asked: what about civil politeness? Using the result of years of hard labour of a developmentteam, adding a bit of stuff of your own would make you "owner"? That really is beyond my comprehension.
I think there is only one thing VIX could do. and that is opening their sources as well. And after all: what good reason could there be not to do that, or even not to want to do that?
I was just making a reply as that happened, so I am obliged to continue here:
In the meantime I have done some reading in the GNL, and I can assure you that what you say is far beyond those regulations.i would imagine, that as its built upon the openPLi source, that anything actually added by the Vix team, would be made public at their discression. They have given full credit to the open PLi image, and could probably give access to the source, minus the Vix stuff, if they had to
First of all: read again what you just said: ".... and could probably give access to the source, minus the Vix stuff ....". As VIX-image minus VIX-additions = PLi, what you actually say is that PLi can obtain acces to their own stuff!!! I can imagine they will be gratefull for that!
Stating this already indicates that you have rally no idea what you are talking about.
Secondly: adding stuff to open source material does not liberate you from those regulations (funny, what's in a name: the GNL is there to provide liberty; the way VIX uses it now, it provides only limitations!
Thirdly: as I asked: what about civil politeness? Using the result of years of hard labour of a developmentteam, adding a bit of stuff of your own would make you "owner"? That really is beyond my comprehension.
I think there is only one thing VIX could do. and that is opening their sources as well. And after all: what good reason could there be not to do that, or even not to want to do that?