Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Vpn

finbarr

Forum Supporter
Donated Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I have been asked some questions about VPN via private message, and thought I should reply via public forum, as a public discussion is better in my view. This is in related to the VPN setup guide posted a few days ago.

Did you setup VPN on a vu+ duo or duo 2??

Also

What like is the stream from outside the home network connected via VPN?

I tried this without connecting through a VPN and it wasnt watchable.

Hey there,

As mentioned in the post, I set it up on my Duo, and it works fine.

The stream will not be just as good as you would get if you were port forwarding, as the VPN places additional overhead on the network. You can expect a ~10% reduction in speeds via VPN, but you are no longer limited to accessing one port, or one machine, like with port forwarding.

The major thing to look at is your home network upload speed. What kind of upload do you get when you run a speed test using www.speedtest.net ? You will need at least 5 or 10 MB upload without transcoding.

Google 'vpn vs port forwarding' for the pros and cons of each approach.

p.s. to the person who asked me that question-your private mailbox is full & I wasn't able to reply to you at all directly.
 
Sorry about that mate, but appreciate you getting back to me one way or other.

Thanks for the further information :thumbsup:
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top