D
DanBeachbum
Guest
Hello,
I am in the market for my first satellite receiver. I am only considering generic FTA HD PVR twin tuners. I am currently doing a detailed "paper" evaluation of the Vu+ Duo, after having considered the Azbox Premium HD and Technomate 7100. I have downloaded and read the Vu+ Duo User Manual, some reviews and many forum posts, but still have a load of questions!
My objective is to try and get the Vu+ Duo to meet the requirements I have by using the native (original) firmware image + any plugins that are available for download through the Duo’s Plugin menu. I am trying to avoid the fun (pain?) of trying different images, plugins, patches etc that will no doubt consume hours of my free time. I am not a Linux expert (yet!), but have had some experience of Unix machines in the dim and distant past.
So, please can any Vu+ Duo experts out there tell me whether the Duo meets the following requirements “out of the box”, with the native image and the plugins available for download via the Duo’s Plug-in Menu (I will update to the latest versions). If any of the requirements are not met by the original image, but are supported by a third party image or other plug-in, please mention the
relevant image/plug-in.
Here are my requirements/questions. It looks like a lot, but most of them only require a simple answer, many just YES or NO, so don't be put off! Even if you only know the answer to one of them please reply with the question number as a reference. Thanks in advance!
Satellite Receiver
1. Does it work globally (particularly in Europe, Asia & US) with any satellite broadcasting in DVB-S/DVB-S2, mpeg-2/mpeg-4 in the C and Ku bands?
2. What about Ka band support?
3. Does it or will it support 4.2.2 feeds?
Satellite Control
4. Can new satellites be added manually?
5. Can you add/delete/edit new transponder info manually?
6. Dish/LNB Control: Is USALS supported? I have only seen references to DiSEqC in the spec.
7. As far as satellite control and sensitivity goes, which is more flexible: The Vu+ Duo or the Technomate 7100?
Channel Database Control
8. Can you Add/delete/Edit new channel info via the receiver’s menu system?
9. How are updated channel lists added to the Duo? From where do I get them?
10. Is blind scanning supported now?
11. Is blind scan very different from “Auto Scan” that the Duo supports?
12. Are PIDs supported?
13. How are bouquets (I am assuming that a bouquet refers to a particular band/polarity grouping) used within the Duo?
AV Quality and Control
14. How good is the SD upscaling - Is there any “softness”?
15. Can the user control upscaling of SD content – original (no upscaling), 576, 720 and 1080?
16. Is there Zoom control?
Ease of Use
17. Is the machine generally fast? Any particularly slow areas?
18. Can multiple favourite screens be set up?
PVR
19. I am in a flat that has 2 satellite points (single dish). Will I able to record at least 1 channel while watching another channel that is not in the same band/polarity group (or record 2 independent channels) with the Duo?
20. Can I record 2 programs while watching a previous recording?
21. Are Bookmarks available within recordings?
22. Can I edit recordings (trim ends, remove ads etc)?
23. Can I do Timed “Series” recording?
24. Assuming 3 tuners (USB DVB-T + 2 x DVB-S2), what is the maximum number of SD channels that can be simultaneously recorded without seeing dropped frames in the playback? …. And the same question for for HD channels?
25. Is there a file size limitation on recordings?
EPG
26. The User Manual appears to only show “Now & Next” in the multi-EPG screen. Is there an extended EPG available (for channels that provide this info) showing programs beyond “Now & Next”, out of the box? (e.g. full 7 day “Freesat-like” EPG)?
27. Can I record a specific programme my selecting it from the EPG, even if it is an extended EPG?
28. Can third party EPGs (e.g Rytec) be loaded under the original image? Can you do a timed recording from this type of EPG?
29. Briefly, what is the process for loading and maintaining a third party EPG?
30. Are extended EPGs available for European, North American and Asian countries?
31. Are extended EPGs available from within the WEBIF plug-in?
Media Player
32. Can the Media player access the eSata drive and all USB drives? The manual only mentions the HDD + USB.
33. Can the Media Player access content from a NAS via an ethernet LAN? If so using which file transfer protocol (Samba etc.)?
34. Which video formats can it handle (Xvid, MP4, WMV etc)?
35. Which Audio formats can it handle (MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC etc)?
36. A Techradar review says that the Duo can’t handle images and that it needs an image viewer plug-in, yet the manual suggests that the Media Player can handle JPEGs. Which is correct?
Connectivity
37. Is media streaming from a uPnP server (NAS, in my case) supported? Has the Duo got a uPnP client that can stream photos, videos and music from the server and does it support Albums, Artists, Playlists, Album Art etc.?
38. Can I record directly to my NAS (on the ethernet) and stream recordings from my NAS to the DUO with no dropped frames?
39. If not, can I at least copy recordings to/from my NAS or PC?
40. With regard to the USB Wi-Fi sticks, will they work with the original image and is Wi-Fi b/g/n supported?
41. Does streaming via Wi-Fi to the Duo work well – no dropped frames, no glitches in music playback etc.?
Plugins
42. Does the youtube plug-in work with the original image?
43. With the original image, can I use plug-ins that are not available from the Plug-ins Menu? Briefly, what is the general process for installing these?
44. Where can I get a list (with brief descriptions) of the 70+ “official” plugins that appear in the Plug-ins Menu? Apparently these are available from a vu+ site, but googling only showed up various forums with threads on just a few plug-ins.
Misc.
45. What File system is used by the Duo?
46. Can the “noisy” fan be switched off in standby mode now?
47. Can SD, MMC and CF cards be read via a USB card reader without additional drivers etc.?
48. None of the technical data sheets or specs on the Vu+ site mention the internal SATA HDD slot/interface – there is one, right?
49. Can recording be made from deep standby mode now?
50. Has PIP been “soft” implemented?
51. Is IPTV supported?
52. Can web sites be accessed via the Duo (on to the TV)?
53. Do I have to use basic Linux commands via a Telnet interface to the Duo to be able to get the most out of this box?
54. I have heard that the Azbox machines have hardware/software/support issues when compared to the Vu+ machines. Is this correct and is the VU+ Duo a better box than the Azbox Premium HD+?
That's it! I know it is a long list of questions, but any responses will be gratefully received.
I am in the market for my first satellite receiver. I am only considering generic FTA HD PVR twin tuners. I am currently doing a detailed "paper" evaluation of the Vu+ Duo, after having considered the Azbox Premium HD and Technomate 7100. I have downloaded and read the Vu+ Duo User Manual, some reviews and many forum posts, but still have a load of questions!
My objective is to try and get the Vu+ Duo to meet the requirements I have by using the native (original) firmware image + any plugins that are available for download through the Duo’s Plugin menu. I am trying to avoid the fun (pain?) of trying different images, plugins, patches etc that will no doubt consume hours of my free time. I am not a Linux expert (yet!), but have had some experience of Unix machines in the dim and distant past.
So, please can any Vu+ Duo experts out there tell me whether the Duo meets the following requirements “out of the box”, with the native image and the plugins available for download via the Duo’s Plug-in Menu (I will update to the latest versions). If any of the requirements are not met by the original image, but are supported by a third party image or other plug-in, please mention the
relevant image/plug-in.
Here are my requirements/questions. It looks like a lot, but most of them only require a simple answer, many just YES or NO, so don't be put off! Even if you only know the answer to one of them please reply with the question number as a reference. Thanks in advance!
Satellite Receiver
1. Does it work globally (particularly in Europe, Asia & US) with any satellite broadcasting in DVB-S/DVB-S2, mpeg-2/mpeg-4 in the C and Ku bands?
2. What about Ka band support?
3. Does it or will it support 4.2.2 feeds?
Satellite Control
4. Can new satellites be added manually?
5. Can you add/delete/edit new transponder info manually?
6. Dish/LNB Control: Is USALS supported? I have only seen references to DiSEqC in the spec.
7. As far as satellite control and sensitivity goes, which is more flexible: The Vu+ Duo or the Technomate 7100?
Channel Database Control
8. Can you Add/delete/Edit new channel info via the receiver’s menu system?
9. How are updated channel lists added to the Duo? From where do I get them?
10. Is blind scanning supported now?
11. Is blind scan very different from “Auto Scan” that the Duo supports?
12. Are PIDs supported?
13. How are bouquets (I am assuming that a bouquet refers to a particular band/polarity grouping) used within the Duo?
AV Quality and Control
14. How good is the SD upscaling - Is there any “softness”?
15. Can the user control upscaling of SD content – original (no upscaling), 576, 720 and 1080?
16. Is there Zoom control?
Ease of Use
17. Is the machine generally fast? Any particularly slow areas?
18. Can multiple favourite screens be set up?
PVR
19. I am in a flat that has 2 satellite points (single dish). Will I able to record at least 1 channel while watching another channel that is not in the same band/polarity group (or record 2 independent channels) with the Duo?
20. Can I record 2 programs while watching a previous recording?
21. Are Bookmarks available within recordings?
22. Can I edit recordings (trim ends, remove ads etc)?
23. Can I do Timed “Series” recording?
24. Assuming 3 tuners (USB DVB-T + 2 x DVB-S2), what is the maximum number of SD channels that can be simultaneously recorded without seeing dropped frames in the playback? …. And the same question for for HD channels?
25. Is there a file size limitation on recordings?
EPG
26. The User Manual appears to only show “Now & Next” in the multi-EPG screen. Is there an extended EPG available (for channels that provide this info) showing programs beyond “Now & Next”, out of the box? (e.g. full 7 day “Freesat-like” EPG)?
27. Can I record a specific programme my selecting it from the EPG, even if it is an extended EPG?
28. Can third party EPGs (e.g Rytec) be loaded under the original image? Can you do a timed recording from this type of EPG?
29. Briefly, what is the process for loading and maintaining a third party EPG?
30. Are extended EPGs available for European, North American and Asian countries?
31. Are extended EPGs available from within the WEBIF plug-in?
Media Player
32. Can the Media player access the eSata drive and all USB drives? The manual only mentions the HDD + USB.
33. Can the Media Player access content from a NAS via an ethernet LAN? If so using which file transfer protocol (Samba etc.)?
34. Which video formats can it handle (Xvid, MP4, WMV etc)?
35. Which Audio formats can it handle (MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC etc)?
36. A Techradar review says that the Duo can’t handle images and that it needs an image viewer plug-in, yet the manual suggests that the Media Player can handle JPEGs. Which is correct?
Connectivity
37. Is media streaming from a uPnP server (NAS, in my case) supported? Has the Duo got a uPnP client that can stream photos, videos and music from the server and does it support Albums, Artists, Playlists, Album Art etc.?
38. Can I record directly to my NAS (on the ethernet) and stream recordings from my NAS to the DUO with no dropped frames?
39. If not, can I at least copy recordings to/from my NAS or PC?
40. With regard to the USB Wi-Fi sticks, will they work with the original image and is Wi-Fi b/g/n supported?
41. Does streaming via Wi-Fi to the Duo work well – no dropped frames, no glitches in music playback etc.?
Plugins
42. Does the youtube plug-in work with the original image?
43. With the original image, can I use plug-ins that are not available from the Plug-ins Menu? Briefly, what is the general process for installing these?
44. Where can I get a list (with brief descriptions) of the 70+ “official” plugins that appear in the Plug-ins Menu? Apparently these are available from a vu+ site, but googling only showed up various forums with threads on just a few plug-ins.
Misc.
45. What File system is used by the Duo?
46. Can the “noisy” fan be switched off in standby mode now?
47. Can SD, MMC and CF cards be read via a USB card reader without additional drivers etc.?
48. None of the technical data sheets or specs on the Vu+ site mention the internal SATA HDD slot/interface – there is one, right?
49. Can recording be made from deep standby mode now?
50. Has PIP been “soft” implemented?
51. Is IPTV supported?
52. Can web sites be accessed via the Duo (on to the TV)?
53. Do I have to use basic Linux commands via a Telnet interface to the Duo to be able to get the most out of this box?
54. I have heard that the Azbox machines have hardware/software/support issues when compared to the Vu+ machines. Is this correct and is the VU+ Duo a better box than the Azbox Premium HD+?
That's it! I know it is a long list of questions, but any responses will be gratefully received.
