Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[VU+ Uno] A bit more advice on Mounting for media sharing

  • Thread starter Thread starter heyho
  • Start date Start date
H

heyho

Guest
Firstly may I say a thank you for all the guides and advice regarding this subject on here. However I am 'missing' something and would like a bit more help please.

I have a Windows 7 PC that acts as a media server (it runs Logitech media server for my Squeezeboxes). I now want to have any area where I can rip my DVD box sets on to and then watch on my TV. So I have created a Windows share and setup a user name and password with admin rights. I can scan and see the server through Mount management on my Vu+ Uno but when I try and expand the selected source it waits an eternity then doesn't come back with anything. I know the share works as I have accessed it on other devices.

I can also set the share up use Mount manager and get a green tick (I think that is what it is) but as of yet I have not been able to access any of the content on it.

So, given I am trying to access a Windows share, can anyone advise me please. Do I need to use another method?

Also once it is working what is the best media package to use to watch ripped DVD's. It will be in VOB format as its ripped using AnyDVD.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere
 
Do you have the Samba plug-in installed on your VU? The ViX images don't some with NFS or Samba pre-installed. You can browse the network, but you can't mount Windows shares unless you have Samba. Samba is the linux implementation of the SMB protocol which Windows uses for network sharing. NFS is the protocol used by linux to linux file sharing.
 
Cheers Tony. I was going to ask about Samba as a pre-requisite. Will give it a try.
 
download the windows share manager that worked for me, plus try fstab instead of autofs install nfs too
 
Thanks for the advice

If I have a shared folder on my Windows PC, say called 'videofiles' what syntax do I enter into the field with the Mount Manager settings

I installed Samba last night and configured a CIFS share but when I rebooted the box it stuck at load up and I had to revert to backup
 
The easiest way is to enable cifs and use the network browser to configure the share. You don't need to know anything about the syntax that way.
 
I don't know why it's referenced as CIFS in the Samba plug-in as CIFS hasn't been used on Windows since Win98 or thereabouts - it's actually SMB, but that's an issue for a different day.
As Thr001 suggested you just enable Samba in the network settings (it should already be enabled after the download - should autostart). Then in network browser you should see your Windows machine and then you should be able to "drill down" into the shares available on the Windows box. If you are not seeing any share called "videofiles" as you have named it, then it is not being shared properly from Windows. I have a share from a Windows 7 machine also, but I use simple sharing and don't use user/password. Once you select the share you should probably select AUTOFS as the method for sharing as it will dynamically mount the share.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top