Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Build my own Vix image

(MariaDB) should also be like an installer package through its interface is simple to just run and install.

create folder indexed in your nas through the user interface of your nas ... name folder = feeds. (you give it that name).

now you only have to copy all the folders within the /tmp/deploy/ipk/* environment to your nas ... web/feeds/openvix-5.2/

Depends on your NAS I guess, but on my Synology NAS I just enabled Apache Server and setup a feeds folder under the WEB directory, by carefully editing the url and file names in thh Openvix conf file you can reduce the naming structure to make life easier.
Also may need to allow nfs access from the receiver(s) on your NAS.
 
I also have Synology, but I use MariaDB which are in my synology repositories, with double click install is very easy, and I agree with what you think, I simplify url route and opkg-feeds works very well.

that video is obsolete, it shows installing web station + MariaDB .. now only the installation of MariaDB leaves the web server ready.
view video
 
Last edited:
My NAS is Synology so will have a try tomorrow.
I've also ordered a 480gb SSD which is arriving tomorrow so I won't have to keep deleting stuff :)
 
@willo3092 - you have done a great job in no time
 
If you don't change the feed url in the openvix.conf (mentioned above) then you have to manually edit all the receiver ipk conf files in /etc/opkg
I used to change openvix.conf but it is a pain in the neck when the build numbers change. Now I do it in site.conf (both feeds and enigma git location).

.
Code:
SCONF_VERSION = "1"
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "32"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 16"
BUILD_OPTIMIZATION = "-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DL_DIR = "/home/openvix/sources"
INHERIT += "rm_work"
ENIGMA2_URI = "git://github.com/Huevos/enigma2.git;protocol=git;branch=Dev"
DISTRO_FEED_URI = "http://*****.org/feeds/${DISTRO_NAME}/${DISTRO_TYPE}/${DISTRO_VERSION}/${MACHINE}"

Also, I just symlink to the feeds so they are available to the webserver without moving any files.
 
This thread is about building images. Can you please post in the dinoboot thread about dinoboot issues?

I split the thread so things can be specific. This was so it is easy to to follow what is going on. If you want to bundle everything together, I can merge the threads again.
 
I used to change openvix.conf but it is a pain in the neck when the build numbers change. Now I do it in site.conf (both feeds and enigma git location).

.
Code:
SCONF_VERSION = "1"
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "32"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 16"
BUILD_OPTIMIZATION = "-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DL_DIR = "/home/openvix/sources"
INHERIT += "rm_work"
ENIGMA2_URI = "git://github.com/Huevos/enigma2.git;protocol=git;branch=Dev"
DISTRO_FEED_URI = "http://*****.org/feeds/${DISTRO_NAME}/${DISTRO_TYPE}/${DISTRO_VERSION}/${MACHINE}"

Also, I just symlink to the feeds so they are available to the webserver without moving any files.

Thanks Huevos, never thought of sticking that info in site.conf - really a great time saver. When I was totally PC based I used the symlinks which work really well in that environment.

Really envious of the 16 threads!!!
 
This thread is about building images. Can you please post in the dinoboot thread about dinoboot issues?

I split the thread so things can be specific. This was so it is easy to to follow what is going on. If you want to bundle everything together, I can merge the threads again.

Sorry buddy, I thought I was helping @Will03092 with his image.
 
Sorry buddy, I thought I was helping @Will03092 with his image.

Running an image build is different from making changes to the image which is why it should be treated on a different thread.
 
I seem to able to manage the build okay now, the only issue is hosting the feeds.
I've been busy with work lately and Mrs Willo seems to be off on the same days as me, so limited time to faff with it.
I have a Synology NAS and would ideally like to host the feeds from that. I only use it as a home NAS at the minute so will have to have a look into the hosting side of things when I get time.
Thanks to everyone for their input so far:) :thumbsup:
 
Why do you want to host the feeds on your NAS? I don't understand not hosting them on the build machine.
 
I just like to keep all of my work on the NAS and I thought it would be easier to share the feeds from the NAS for other people to test.
Ideally I would also like to try and setup a website at some point.
I had a nasty experience with ransomware lately (I appreciate it's unlikely to affect a Linux box) and had my files in windows encrypted.
I'm a bit obsessed now with moving anything I want to keep, to my NAS and not having mapped drives on the PC.
I'm not particularly familiar with Linux to be fair but I've managed to be able to copy stuff from Linux to the NAS so that it is accessible from both boxes.
 
Why do you want to host the feeds on your NAS? I don't understand not hosting them on the build machine.
Same as ABU - my NAS runs for about 18 hours a day (and in standby overnight) compared to 8 _> 10 hour on the Ubuntu PC and I also keep all my local git and build source files etc also on the NAS.
 
Is the NAS webserver public? Is the move process automated? Personally I don't see a greater security risk on the Ubuntu machine than the NAS. BTW, I run all my websites from the NAS. Reason is the old PC based webserver used 1100 kW/h per year and the NAS only uses 85 kW/h per year.

But for me it is easier not moving the feeds from the build server. Build server is a friend's machine that was idle 24/7 and I was lucky enough to be loaned it.
 
No, it's not public. I have just used it for file/movie/music storage at home so far.
I've only just started exploring the possibility of hosting my own website on it.
I've also only just started using a spare PC for this build project and whilst it is plenty fast enough, I have limited storage space.
 
I have built 5.3.001 release for my MBTwinPlus on my HP laptop over my WiFi network. It took 12 hours overnight, with quite a few warnings generated but no errors. Found the "cooker" log which said that the build had finished and found the release files under the g300 directory. I haven't had the guts to flash the receiver yet, I'll do it when I've caught up with my viewing.

Abu and I think Sicilian have both said that if you want to have the latest images on the end-of-life models, go build it yourself - so I did(!), following on from Willo's success and the great advice of twol and everyone else on this thread. I will test the build eventually, but I suppose the real choices I have are to continue with OpenVix 5.2 on the MB or upgrade the box as eventually the MB will not be able to handle the memory requirements of later releases. And since none of the testers or full-time contributors to the forum will have an MBTwinPlus set up with OpenVix 5.3 or later, they will not be able to support the configuration.
 
I found that after a successful build it would give about 39 warnings, if you just run it again it's much quicker and a lot of the warnings are resolved.
Best I've managed is 1 warning but the image runs fine.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top